Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Aug 9, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
I've read a lot of good things about the Sketchers range, apparently their foams are pretty great. Puma also getting nice reviews for their recent stuff too.
Ive had 4-5 different versions of their GoRuns and they've all been great, lightweight trainers. Only downside is they wear out fast, hopefully these new tech "hyperfoams" with the Goodyear rubber are a bit different.

oh bloody hell, this will test my self control hahaha

I don't even know if they would work for me or be stable enough or i would even get the benefit from them... but....

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
oh bloody hell, this will test my self control hahaha

I don't even know if they would work for me or be stable enough or i would even get the benefit from them... but....

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Also I did see this today, if you want to consider another option

I'll watch that in bit but I have actually considered those because they look fantastic which is obviously very important hahahaha

EDIT: This is quite interesting... What is the difference between the edge and the sky?

My problem is that I don't know what the difference between half these shoes are

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I'll watch that in bit but I have actually considered those because they look fantastic which is obviously very important hahahaha

EDIT: This is quite interesting... What is the difference between the edge and the sky?

My problem is that I don't know what the difference between half these shoes are

The ASICS marketing spiel goes on about something about a stride v cadence runner, but from what little I've read thus far, I think the Edge will be a little more aggressive and suit shorter distances whilst the Sky remains their marathon go-to.

The video definitely makes a good case for the Edge, the extra platform width makes it a little more stable and the outsole looks nice and grippy. I'm also interested to see the reviews on the Endorphin Pro 3 which the guys at Doctors of Running have in their hands atm, it's had a fairly major revision.

The sale price on the Vaporlfy is hard to beat though....

The ASICS marketing spiel goes on about something about a stride v cadence runner, but from what little I've read thus far, I think the Edge will be a little more aggressive and suit shorter distances whilst the Sky remains their marathon go-to.

The video definitely makes a good case for the Edge, the extra platform width makes it a little more stable and the outsole looks nice and grippy. I'm also interested to see the reviews on the Endorphin Pro 3 which the guys at Doctors of Running have in their hands atm, it's had a fairly major revision.

The sale price on the Vaporlfy is hard to beat though....
Yeah i actually did read up on it last night, interesting how one is for cadence and one stride... I looked at my data on Garmin and when i pick up my pace my cadence only goes up slightly so I think i am a stride runner, and looking at a marathon shoe it appears the Sky is the go as well...
Like you said the price is hard to beat, i do worry about the stability and at the end of the day it is a lot of coin to spend on a pair of shoes so I will try resist temptation and actually go try them on/get fitted and maybe miss the price but have full confidence in my purchase.

Anyway otherwise, coming up to 14 weeks to Melbourne.. I had been in a bit of a funk the last month motivation wise... still getting my stuff done but getting out of bed etc was an effort but something has clicked this week and I have gotten excited and very motivated. Just need to keep dodging Covid or if it does get me hopefully it is not long covid, and hopefully it happens soon so i have time to recover and build still.
Very scared of getting it in the month before and ruining all the work

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Ran my first race since 2017 today. 76mins for our local half marathon. Finished in 30th place.

Bloody hot, 24 degrees at the gun and 80% humidity. Was with the lead female Kenyan pack until about 9k, and by then was about to call it a day. Fair bit of mind over matter stuff to haul ass to 21.1k.

Not sure i really enjoyed the race tbh. Love working out and training hard… racing could be past me though. Good to finally do something in front of my mates however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Ran my first race since 2017 today. 76mins for our local half marathon. Finished in 30th place.

Bloody hot, 24 degrees at the gun and 80% humidity. Was with the lead female Kenyan pack until about 9k, and by then was about to call it a day. Fair bit of mind over matter stuff to haul ass to 21.1k.

Not sure i really enjoyed the race tbh. Love working out and training hard… racing could be past me though. Good to finally do something in front of my mates however.

Jesus mate, 76mins for 30th in a local half marathon? Are you actually living in Kipchoge's home town?

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Jesus mate, 76mins for 30th in a local half marathon? Are you actually living in Kipchoge's home town?

Probably makes it sound better than it is. It’s the biggest half marathon in Hamburg (11,000 participants) but the start line is 3km from my front door - so still local.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
My recent milestones:

3.58 m/k for 6km
50km completed over 4.5 hours at 5.30 m/k

Pretty much ticked off all my running goals for this year. Wanted to get under 4 m/k for my usual 6km run which I’d originally clocked up in April

Wanted to do a marathon at some point and did that Easter Monday, then wanted to extend on that personal record and went to 50km a few weeks ago.

Not really sure where I go from here. Maybe aim for 3.50 m/k?

Is it diminishing returns from here or can you genuinely keep building to some ridiculous times? I’ve also noticed a lot of my PB’s have come at bizarre times eg after limited training.

I usually just gauge my pace and if I’m in the window to hit a PB I’ll really push - otherwise my routine is pretty steady and track 6 kms a day and then go 12-20 on weekends.

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
My recent milestones:

3.58 m/k for 6km
50km completed over 4.5 hours at 5.30 m/k

Pretty much ticked off all my running goals for this year. Wanted to get under 4 m/k for my usual 6km run which I’d originally clocked up in April

Wanted to do a marathon at some point and did that Easter Monday, then wanted to extend on that personal record and went to 50km a few weeks ago.

Not really sure where I go from here. Maybe aim for 3.50 m/k?

Is it diminishing returns from here or can you genuinely keep building to some ridiculous times? I’ve also noticed a lot of my PB’s have come at bizarre times eg after limited training.

I usually just gauge my pace and if I’m in the window to hit a PB I’ll really push - otherwise my routine is pretty steady and track 6 kms a day and then go 12-20 on weekends.

Well done mate.
At 52, I'm conceding that my days of rapid improvement are over and happy to settle on a peak of 4:50 per km for a 5k run. Generally i'll get around in about 5:19 though.
My goals are now completing 5 1/2 marathons this year and the Melbourne Marathon. Next year, 2 full Marathons and possibly SurfCoast Century.
My day's of time related goals are (with the exception of the Tan which I'm hoping to crack 17:00) are over and it's all about endurance with me now

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Well done mate.
At 52, I'm conceding that my days of rapid improvement are over and happy to settle on a peak of 4:50 per km for a 5k run. Generally i'll get around in about 5:19 though.
My goals are now completing 5 1/2 marathons this year and the Melbourne Marathon. Next year, 2 full Marathons and possibly SurfCoast Century.
My day's of time related goals are (with the exception of the Tan which I'm hoping to crack 17:00) are over and it's all about endurance with me now

The older blokes I know tend to focus on season best times, or against the last 2-3 years of results, it's quite refreshing running with some of them and learning to just enjoy the process instead of the end result.

Mar 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The older blokes I know tend to focus on season best times, or against the last 2-3 years of results, it's quite refreshing running with some of them and learning to just enjoy the process instead of the end result.
I often wished Strava would highlight "fastest 5/10/21km/segment etc this year" or something similar. Pain in the arse to try and keep track of it manually.

It would be such a help and motivator if you are coming back from injury or an extended layoff from running (like myself!).

wadistance

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2011
Hamburg, DE
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
I often wished Strava would highlight "fastest 5/10/21km/segment etc this year" or something similar. Pain in the arse to try and keep track of it manually.

It would be such a help and motivator if you are coming back from injury or an extended layoff from running (like myself!).

Your Garmin does that ;)

Got into TRC Friday, spoke to the wise old Moose, couldn't recommend the service any higher, so knowledgeable and so enthusiastic.

Got myself these babies
Still too scared to test them out though lol

oh6tu8.jpg

Aug 9, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Just got a new pair of Skechers Go Run Ride 8 hyper, went for a 20km this morning and I'm comparison to my New Balance Fresh Foam tempos they stack up, a little roomier in the toes which I like, and not as stiff a heel (NBs have a reinforced hard plastic at the back, looks nice but meh).

But really not that much difference, Skechers a little cushier, but the NBs have 350km info them, might grab a pair of Skechers Razer's next
Just an update on the GoRuns...after a couple runs it was obvious that they were more cushioned than the NBs and older Skechers I had previously...then after a couple weeks I started getting hip flexor and upper glute tightness.

I didn't connect the two initially but after a lot of management I noticed the tightness was only after the Skechers...now 2 weeks without them it's all but gone.

Anyone have any similar experiences? I've been running for years and never had this.
The weight is similar enough, I'm thinking maybe the couple extra mm of heel drop? They are neutral but a little higher than what I've normally gone with.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Running Warehouse has a 40% off sale going on until 5pm tonight on everything online except electronics or nutrition.

Discount Code is RUNNING40

They've taken down some of the newer trainers and super shoes e.g. NB SuperComp Trainer and Endorphin Pro 3 which is a little sneaky, but there's still the RC Elite 2, Hyperion Elite 3, Carbon X3 and a few of the newer trainers like the Endorphin Shift 3, 1080 v12, More v3, Glycerin 20, Nimbus 24 and others.

Plus most of their apparel looks to be listed still including my favourite Steigen socks @ 40% off.

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Running Warehouse has a 40% off sale going on until 5pm tonight on everything online except electronics or nutrition.

They've taken down some of the newer trainers and super shoes e.g. NB SuperComp Trainer and Endorphin Pro 3 which is a little sneaky, but there's still the RC Elite 2, Hyperion Elite 3, Carbon X3 and a few of the newer trainers like the Endorphin Shift 3, 1080 v12, More v3, Glycerin 20, Nimbus 24 and others.

Plus most of their apparel looks to be listed still including my favourite Steigen socks @ 40% off.

The NB Supercomp is there mate, just check under New Arrivals.
Picked up a pair for $179 after the discount😁

Ohh I read this and was spewing it was after 5...

Code still works, just got the last pair of pink RC Elite 2s for $191... Do I need them,... no, but at that price I couldn't not!

Back