Injury Injuries 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Oh cmon * off with this s**t, it’s not like he’s Will Pucovski getting concussed from a beach ball, he’s had two one from an extremely big knee to the head and now this from a big slam to the ground.

Of course a single concussion is never good but most players would have a lot more than 2 in their career
I had 13 concussions in 15 years

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Brutal mate, hope you’re not feeling any repercussions these days?
I don’t think so, although sometimes I do wonder. Memory is rat sh*t and a few other things make me think it is still in the picture.

Similar to Will Pucovski, I found that I was concussed quite easily the last few times at the end of my playing days. I would be playing footy, and realise that I was concussed (vision loss, little ability to talk etc) but have no recollection of any head knock or major collision.

Back on topic, I wouldn’t be overly worried on English. That has a hard blow with his head hitting the ground. I think that would concuss the majority.

VogonProsthetnic

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Beaufort
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So English gets slammed into the ground, probably will miss multiple weeks and suffers with headaches and who knows what else.

The instigator gets .. 1 week that’s it.

Seems like the MRP will do anything to minimise the penalty.

The Franklin one on Cotchin was another example. Buddy smacksCotchin in the jaw.. penalty 1 week.

MRP are a joke. The league need to take concussion more seriously.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So English gets slammed into the ground, probably will miss multiple weeks and suffers with headaches and who knows what else.

The Franklin one on Cotchin was another example. Buddy smacksCotchin in the jaw.. penalty 1 week.

Yeah but don’t rub heads against the oppo, that’s a big no no. Would be nice if there was some consistency and the acts that actually do cause damage were punished

It's a tough one to get right. Yes it was illegal and looked like a double action but when I saw the replay I didn't think it was particularly malicious, other than showing the usual ferocity you'd want your players to show when they tackle.

What if it was say Naughton throwing Haynes to the ground in the same way - would we be baying for the same amount of blood?

For a non-malicious tackle (ie one where they meant to tackle but didn't intend to smash the players noggin into the ground) a penalty of one to two weeks seems appropriate because the AFL rightly wants to see the end of those tackles. So players and their coaches need a sufficient incentive to change their tackling technique.

By contrast we could look at the two great tackles that Macrae applied. Completely wrapped up Callan Ward in one of them and brought him to the ground but no danger to the head. Good technique.

It would be a different story if it could be found that the player was deliberately trying to concuss his opponent. That would be something I'd be happy to see an 8-10 week ban for.

Same with deliberate striking or a head butt. If there's any real malice in it (ie not just a push-and-shove love tap) there should be a minimum of 2 weeks depending on the severity of the blow. And potentially a lot more if the damage to the player is severe. In the 60s and 70s it was regularly 2-4 weeks for striking IIRC. But then they didn't have 197 cameras on the game in those days so there were some monstrous hits, especially behind play. You just had to make sure you weren't seen by the umpire.

tl;dr - the penalty should be what's needed to make players learn a sound tackling technique ... unless there was a deliberate intent to concuss the player.

theburst

Team Captain
Mar 28, 2008
vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
the good news was Hannan is not far away, bit of a forgotten player and might be an x-factor if we make Finals, well earned his spot in the GF last year.

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Speaking of LTIs what about Vander. Serial hamstring. Something has to change ro this guy will never play more than half a season.
He might have a structural issue that can't be overcome that causes the hammy issues. Hope not for his sake but seems likely given the number he has suffered

Didnt Tim take several weeks to get back after his first concussion.....around 3 or 4 weeks, my memory ccould be wrong.
Yes , confidence was shot for awhile too.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
The discussion on Vandermeer is an interesting one. Easton Wood was similar from memory. He didn't really play consistent football until Bevo came on board and even then, he had his dramas. Some blokes are worth sticking with and I like Vandermeer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Do they still use the hamstring tendon to replace the ACL? Hamstring issues are reasonably common after ACL injuries. It's a positive that it's described as tightness rather than a normal 3-4 weeker. Regardless we should temper our expectations to not see him for a while.

That's the issue with loading. Bruce can do all the 'game-like' training sessions that he likes but it's just simply nothing like playing a full game of football after being out for so long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back