Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
It's still a guess, irrespective of who makes it. Not suggesting Gil (or whoever) is wrong or right, but you can't categorically state that TV rights will jump to that extent until there's 2 sets of bids on the table -, 1 for 18 teams and 1 for 19.
They don't have to go up by much at all to pay for another distribution. We're talking an extra $8.45m a year, which is nothing when you consider that the current deal is $336m a season.

Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Meet in the middle and go 2026. Clarkson can still come in by 2028, especially if Tassie struggles in their first two years.
I honestly can't see Clarko as first up coach.
There's so much water to go under the bridge before then if it happens.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
They don't have to go up by much at all to pay for another distribution. We're talking an extra $8.45m a year, which is nothing when you consider that the current deal is $336m a season.

You think Tassie will get the lowest distribution in the league? It'd want to be a hell of a long term commitment by the Tassie government.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
You think Tassie will get the lowest distribution in the league? It'd want to be a hell of a long term commitment by the Tassie government.
If what Caro is saying is correct and the likely Tas gov figure will be around $15m a year, then yeah that means the AFL distribution will be close to that base figure of $8.45m that clubs like Collingwood/Richmond/West Coast get.

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m against setting up another team now. Mainly due to the talent allocation which has dried up since the inception of GWS and Gold Coast.

Truth is the AFL got greedy a decade ago. GWS should have been stationed in Canberra and Gold Coast should have been a Tasmanian team.

St Kilda and North Melbourne may be smaller clubs but they shouldn’t be relocated because the AFL miscalculated with the new teams.

Jun 29, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was speculating what the new TV rights deal might be and the impact of having 11 extra matches. It was 2.508 billion in 2015 for 6 years (418/yr) and then extended to 2024 with 946 million over 2 years, (473/yr). A new deal may be significantly more than that with competition from Paramount/Ten, but I’m guessing it’d be at least 500/yr even without Tas. Let’s say 500. With an extra 11 games (from 198 H/A to 209, plus 9 finals), increasing the deal by the same proportion of increased games, it’d go up to about 526.6 mill. An extra 26.6 mill/year for the AFL, just by Tassie being there.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
I was speculating what the new TV rights deal might be and the impact of having 11 extra matches. It was 2.508 billion in 2015 for 6 years (418/yr) and then extended to 2024 with 946 million over 2 years, (473/yr). A new deal may be significantly more than that with competition from Paramount/Ten, but I’m guessing it’d be at least 500/yr even without Tas. Let’s say 500. With an extra 11 games (from 198 H/A to 209, plus 9 finals), increasing the deal by the same proportion of increased games, it’d go up to about 526.6 mill. An extra 26.6 mill/year for the AFL, just by Tassie being there.
Games 199 - 209 not worth the same as games 1 - 23 for example (say Fri nights), but still an extra $15m or so. A tenth game in a hidden timesLot on Fox 505 would be worth even less. 19 teams is the most revenue beneficial.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm interested to know if people think Tasmania would be able to get a sufficient number of members. I know Tasmania currently has 90 odd thousand members from other teams but obviously people are not going to be able to afford two memberships so do people think we can get enough members?

Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
I'm interested to know if people think Tasmania would be able to get a sufficient number of members. I know Tasmania currently has 90 odd thousand members from other teams but obviously people are not going to be able to afford two memberships so do people think we can get enough members?
Yes.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
What’s sufficient? Taking into account stadium capacity

Bellerive oval holds approx 20,000 & York park 21,000 with a proposed increase to 27,500.

North Melbourne have a membership ship total of 46,500 approx. if that’s enough to be debt free the question should be does anyone think Tassie can get 46,500 members?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Research by Gemba indicates a first year membership figure of between 30 and 44000.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Research by Gemba indicates a first year membership figure of between 30 and 44000.
I was be very impressed if that was the case,I struggle to see that possible considering how many Tasmanians are already members of other teams and people won't be able to afford two memberships.

HPKS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
I was be very impressed if that was the case,I struggle to see that possible considering how many Tasmanians are already members of other teams and people won't be able to afford two memberships.
Those membership numbers are very misleading, for every club, they’re not full membership numbers. 30-44,000 will include just like every club 3 game memberships and interstate membership numbers. If you spend any time looking those numbers they’re very misleading. GWS have 31,000 members.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
Those membership numbers are very misleading, for every club, they’re not full membership numbers. 30-44,000 will include just like every club 3 game memberships and interstate membership numbers. If you spend any time looking those numbers they’re very misleading. GWS have 31,000 members.
The only membership number worthwhile these days is the revenue amount actually collected from memberships.

I'm sure The_Wookie has put up figures disproving this.

90,000 supporters yes, but not 90,000 members of the 1,113,441 total 2021 club members, given Tassie only has 2% of the Oz population, and 4.5% of the total population of the 4 heartland footy states and the NT.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Why wouldn’t people afford two memberships? Most would currently have a cheap interstate membership. A four game Launceston membership might be $90 upwards and a seven game Hobart $125 upwards. I reckon 30k easily first season. Revenue will increase when finals become a possibility as there is no way you will get a ticket without one.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Macquarie Point in Hobart could still become the home of Tassie's new AFL stadium and at a cheaper price. The plan is to call it devil's den and it has the support of Tasmania's tourism boss Like Martin and the property council of Tasmania. I think we will start seeing some different options for a Tassie stadium coming up in coming weeks so definitely going to be interesting to see what they come up with.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm sure The_Wookie has put up figures disproving this.

90,000 supporters yes, but not 90,000 members of the 1,113,441 total 2021 club members, given Tassie only has 2% of the Oz population, and 4.5% of the total population of the 4 heartland footy states and the NT.

I always thought that figure seemed high, but it was repeated so often it sounded true.

The Career report even said: "Tasmania it has been reported has approximately 90,000 members linked to current AFL teams."

It's actually pretty poor by the report. It's pretty attainable information, and they just use second-hand information and say "it has been reported". I think it was just lazy rather than willfully misleading.

Current membership isn't too relevant anyway. You'd think many Tasmanians supporting mainland clubs wouldn't have memberships as there's no attendance benefit, but they would for a Tasmanian team.

Aug 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania

Why wouldn’t people afford two memberships? Most would currently have a cheap interstate membership. A four game Launceston membership might be $90 upwards and a seven game Hobart $125 upwards. I reckon 30k easily first season. Revenue will increase when finals become a possibility as there is no way you will get a ticket without one.
I'll be able to justify dual memberships because my Hawks membership will be less because I'm wouldn't be paying for reserved seating membership I've got now.

Jun 29, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Current membership isn't too relevant anyway. You'd think many Tasmanians supporting mainland clubs wouldn't have memberships as there's no attendance benefit, but they would for a Tasmanian team.
Absolutely. I’ll probably get flamed for this but even though I call myself a Pies supporter (been to about 50 matches, mostly when I lived in Vic (been in Tas 10 years now), got all the merch, scream at the TV), I’ve only been an occasional member. Perhaps diehard members would call me a “follower”. I think there may be a lot of people who love footy and follow a team but not to the point of buying memberships when their team never comes here and they don’t go to the mainland for footy. If we get the licence I’ll be frothing to sign myself up and the family, buy all the merch, drag the kids to games, join a supporters club if there’s such a thing, sponsor players, the works! I suspect there may be a lot like me.

Jun 29, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Macquarie Point in Hobart could still become the home of Tassie's new AFL stadium and at a cheaper price. The plan is to call it devil's den and it has the support of Tasmania's tourism boss Like Martin and the property council of Tasmania. I think we will start seeing some different options for a Tassie stadium coming up in coming weeks so definitely going to be interesting to see what they come up with.
I hope so as I think it’s the best spot. No need to reclaim land like with the Regatta Point proposal. And even though it’s close to the water it’s not right on the water like Regatta Pt. I hope when they do feasibility studies they pay very close attention to forecast sea level changes otherwise we may end up with the world’s largest paddling pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back