Last touch rule

Should we introcue a "Last touch rule?"

• Yes - I want us to be like soccer

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • No - Stupid idea

Votes: 59 85.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Would ease congestion but might make the game more like soccer? Agree or not?
Don't like it as players will be trying to kick or handball the ball into oppo players to get a free kick.
Also players have no incentive to go for the ball if it looks like going out of bounds if oppo player has touched it.
I think it has been trialled in pre-season before .

It's the usual AFL - we haven't thought this through properly and when it's introduced - we'll all be saying "We ******* told you, you bloody idiots". And "Why can't you leave the ******* game alone"....

There's a version of this that works, which is basically 'if you kick or handball OOB without it being touched, it is a free kick. If it is touched, punched or spoiled OOB then boundary throw in'.

Basically, get rid of 'deliberate' and make it any clean disposal over the line. That males quite a lot of sense.

Could also add 'tackled over the line' as a free kick too, so players can't just run it over. That side probably needs to be trialled a bit more and aligned with changes to HTB though

As s**t as the umpires are at adjudicating insufficient intent consistently it's not the biggest issue with the rules. How about they look at how s**t some of the rules are they've introduced recently or try to fix interpretations of existing ones before they add another one to the pile.

There's a version of this that works, which is basically 'if you kick or handball OOB without it being touched, it is a free kick. If it is touched, punched or spoiled OOB then boundary throw in'.

Basically, get rid of 'deliberate' and make it any clean disposal over the line. That males quite a lot of sense.

Could also add 'tackled over the line' as a free kick too, so players can't just run it over. That side probably needs to be trialled a bit more and aligned with changes to HTB though
Good shout, and i1f tackled over the line was only applicable between the arcs I think that would work ok (have a rule like Rugby Union where if the player carries the ball into their defensive 50, the free would then be applicable).

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I could live with it between the 50-metre arcs, but how many video reviews would we have if it means a free kick and a shot at goal? Some bloke claims his fingernail touches the ball, we'll have to stop the game for a review? Leave the game alone and throw it in!

The AFL has had officials over here checking out the SANFL and spending time with umpires in the SANFL in the last week. From what I’m hearing it’s a very real chance that these rules will be implemented for next season

I'd prefer it didn't eventuate, but sounds like it is becoming more and more likely. How will this rule not lead to countless reviews where the umpires have to come together to decide who touched it last?

Outside the 50m arcs and last disposal makes sense. Umpires trying to judge on intent is stupid. It's obviously not going to be last player to get a finger on it in a marking contest before going over

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd prefer it didn't eventuate, but sounds like it is becoming more and more likely. How will this rule not lead to countless reviews where the umpires have to come together to decide who touched it last?
If they adopt the same rules as the SANFL there are no need for reviews. Has to be a kick or handball that goes OOB.
Spoils, dropped marks, fumbles, kicks that are touched etc are not a free kick and are thrown in as normal

The only rule i want them to fix is the damn holding rule, so sick of the ball being kicked to a pack and a whistle and seemingly random free plucked out. It drives me insane

It's also the rule that has most affect on outcomes since they tend to pay it in front of goal, Richmond were gifted like 3 goals in a low scoring close match against Port a few weeks back one of the biggest miscarriages of justice in 2022. If Port miss the 8 by a game they should be filthly

I would rather they let 1000 iffy holding frees go than pay 1 soft nothing free

If they adopt the same rules as the SANFL there are no need for reviews. Has to be a kick or handball that goes OOB.
Spoils, dropped marks, fumbles, kicks that are touched etc are not a free kick and are thrown in as normal
What happens if a player deliberately knocks the ball over the line? i.e. not a kick or a handball, but a blatant punch over the line in a ground contest for example? Is that still a freekick? If so, we would still have a deliberate OOB rule, which kinda sux.

Come to think of it, if the new rule didn't apply inside the 50m arcs, we would still need to retain the deliberate OOB rule anyway, right? Otherwise defenders could just kick or handball over the line when under pressure.

I shouldn't worry, I'm sure the rule makers at AFL HQ have thought all this through.

So if you are a defender and your opponent is about to mark the ball 20 meters out from goal along the boundary you have three options

a. Spoil the ball over the line resulting in a free kick to your opponent
b. Let him mark it as the other obvious option is option (a) and gets the same result
c. Somehow spoil the ball while flicking it back over your head into the corridor which goes against everything a defender has ever ben taught

So if you are a defender and your opponent is about to mark the ball 20 meters out from goal along the boundary you have three options

a. Spoil the ball over the line resulting in a free kick to your opponent
b. Let him mark it as the other obvious option is option (a) and gets the same result
c. Somehow spoil the ball while flicking it back over your head into the corridor which goes against everything a defender has ever ben taught

all of these should result in a boundary throw in as neither A,B or C is a clear disposal.

Back