Changes vs Hawthorn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking that but I think that’d be the wrong move - Williams has settled into that role so nicely and it’s something we really need there, Scott & Hunter running the wings just don’t offer enough of an offensive presence or any height/aerial ability either. Id leave Williams, Hunter straight swap for Scott and Croz gets his go again
Scott hasn't done a lot wrong, would you make him sub? Agree on Williams, he has to stay on the wing.

For me changes are:
Doc = Crozier
JUH = Bruce
Weightman = Hunter

Bruce needs game time at this level now, same as Hunter. We need them both for the Brisbane game and the rest of the season. They are ready imo.
Hunter got a lot of it in the VFL but the bits I saw, he was pretty rusty. I reckon he needs another week in the 2s

No English, Smith, possibly Weightman, Duryea, Bruce and Hunter (if they need another game in the twos) means 6 out of out of best 22. That leaves a lot of fringe players Mccomb, McNeill, Sweet, Crozier, JUH, Schache, possibly a first gamer in Bebendo and Gardiner (although Bevo would not rate him as a fringe player). I think Rhylee elevated himself above a fringe player last week. Could still get the job done this week a 50/50 game with the team we will put out. If English and Weightman do not play against the lions plus Smith we are not going to get the job done against the lions. Even with our best 22 we would be big outsiders up there.
I'm hoping Dee's and Lions play a war of attrition and beat the s**t out of each other. We then face the Lions off a one day longer break

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Keep your eye out for a new account called Promiscuous Dog.*

* unless that's already one of the 23 alts that footscray1973 uses. Or maybe Scrag?
Nah, not one of mine. As for Virgin Dog, that poster may have had alt/s, so cancelling themselves just means one less alt to worry about possibly?! :think:

(BTW, I am neither promiscuous nor a virgin these days! But my younger self may have claimed both descriptors - not at the same time though!)

Footscrazy

Team Captain
Jun 18, 2011
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Don’t mean to be nasty but what does McComb actually contribute to this team?

Out: Weightman, Doc, McComb, English(?)

In: Wallis, Crozier, Hunter, Sweet (?)

(?) is around English’s concussion
I think he's shown to be a solid depth mid h/f so far. Probably will be forced out eventually but I thought similarly with Scotty and now he's a regular.

Thought this stat was interesting, Robbie is 1 of only 7 players averaging over 1 g/a per game this season.

1655809758913.png

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Scott hasn't done a lot wrong, would you make him sub? Agree on Williams, he has to stay on the wing.
Yeah I would - has the versatility to play forward mid or back when he comes on in a variety of roles. Just really don’t like the sound of Hunter & Scott on either wings, very undersized, no real blistering pace and not a whole heap of offensive production. Scott’s been okay for sure but think he’s just warming Hunts spot personally

Your vow reminded me about Virgin Dog ...

Can't remember which particular hill he died on but it seems he has kept his promise ... he's gorn. Yikes! :cry:

View attachment 1429425

Theological question: Do virgins get re-incarnated? :think:Hmmmm. I guess there's not much point asking around here.
I have no idea what was promised but maybe, just maybe, said poster is not a virgin anymore after discovering something a tad more exciting than Big Footy. 😜

Hawks have a pretty weak tall defensive stocks. With Frost out, they have Hartigan who is a plodder and DGB who will be a gun but is pretty raw.

Big chance for Naughts to back up with another bag and hopefully, they don't have a match up for him.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawks have a pretty weak tall defensive stocks. With Frost out, they have Hartigan who is a plodder and DGB who will be a gun but is pretty raw.

Big chance for Naughts to back up with another bag and hopefully, they don't have a match up for him.
I agree, it’s why I wanna see Blanck. But Hartigan was decent on him last year (1 goal) although supreme and sublime Marvel conditions will suit more than the windy mess that was UTAS.

Sicily probably gets a fair go at him and has done well this year doing as such.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

DGB is about 2 years away from being able to play Naughton. BUT he isn’t an ideal matchup, as DGB would be better higher up the ground.
Hartigan can’t compete in clean conditions at Marvel, so would need a second defender to help. No chance he can repeatedly stop Naughton in the air without infringing (although he rarely gets penalised against us for doing so).
Blanck is really raw and is the long term matchup (I like Blanck as an option for us to target for FB). Speed, size are good but positioning & learning 1v1’s are still developing.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
DGB is about 2 years away from being able to play Naughton. BUT he isn’t an ideal matchup, as DGB would be better higher up the ground.
Hartigan can’t compete in clean conditions at Marvel, so would need a second defender to help. No chance he can repeatedly stop Naughton in the air without infringing (although he rarely gets penalised against us for doing so).
Blanck is really raw and is the long term matchup (I like Blanck as an option for us to target for FB). Speed, size are good but positioning & learning 1v1’s are still developing.
Surprised you guys didn’t go for Blanck in the MSD tbf with your lack of FB depth outside of Keath.

He’s the number one and preferred choice, although Sam may stick with Hartigan. Which means Sic has a huge job in helping.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Surprised you guys didn’t go for Blanck in the MSD tbf with your lack of FB depth outside of Keath.

He’s the number one and preferred choice, although Sam may stick with Hartigan. Which means Sic has a huge job in helping.
Didn't have a pick

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We really can't get much continuity with a side can we.

Ins
Sweet, Crozier, McNeil

Outs
English, Duryea, Weightman

Sub: Maybe Buku although i dont think he played VFL last week.

Would be interesting if Williams is pushed back and someone like Bedendo given a debut. I like what Bedendo brings to the table.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Once again in Bev's press conference when a journo asks him about forward structure the immediate answer is "we need to use the ball better". I like a lot of the s**t Bev does but after about 8 seasons of being a senior AFL coach you would think you would also have a plan B when theres a pretty reasonable chance that the opposition don't allow you to lay it out on a silver platter for our forwards.

Mind boggling logic considering how many games we have thrown away in the past 5 years for this very reason. Even more so when he identified this problem years ago and threw a non contributing forward in Cordy into the mix just so we had decent tall representation.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Once again in Bev's press conference when a journo asks him about forward structure the immediate answer is "we need to use the ball better". I like a lot of the s**t Bev does but after about 8 seasons of being a senior AFL coach you would think you would also have a plan B when theres a pretty reasonable chance that the opposition don't allow you to lay it out on a silver platter for our forwards.

Mind boggling logic considering how many games we have thrown away in the past 5 years for this very reason. Even more so when he identified this problem years ago and threw a non contributing forward in Cordy into the mix just so we had decent tall representation.
The blokes got genuinely no idea at this point in time to be completely honest - shambles of a year tactically

We're talking about dogs here ... shouldn't it be Chaste Car?
Just as well we're only talking about dogs, and not women. Because a chaste woman will not be chased. Whereas a chased woman will not be chaste.

Foxman98

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The blokes got genuinely no idea at this point in time to be completely honest - shambles of a year tactically
Yes the AFL premiership winning coach has no idea. This coming from the guy who wants to move our ruckman who despite injury is still being talked about in AA discussions forward to accommodate Jordon Sweet.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yes the AFL premiership winning coach has no idea. This coming from the guy who wants to move our ruckman who despite injury is still being talked about in AA discussions forward to accommodate Jordon Sweet.

It’s astounding the amount of comments made in here regarding the functionality of our fwd line and the apparent lack of tactical nous from our coaches.

Top 3 for scores for, No 1 for expected score, I’m tipping we’re No1 for shots at goal considering our innacuracy.

We have a key Fwd on track for a 60 goal season, a small/medium forward on track for 40 and 2 mid/fwds on track for 25-30 goal seasons.

As far as individual performances in our fwd line go, we’re on track for our best return since 2016 and as a team, we’re functioning just as well as we were last year when we were one of the best scoring sides in the comp.

I think some posters don’t really think things through before going on the rants they do.

Oct 4, 2004
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
MAN U/BROOKLYN NETS
It’s astounding the amount of comments made in here regarding the functionality of our fwd line and the apparent lack of tactical nous from our coaches.

Top 3 for scores for, No 1 for expected score, I’m tipping we’re No1 for shots at goal considering our innacuracy.

We have a key Fwd on track for a 60 goal season, a small/medium forward on track for 40 and 2 mid/fwds on track for 25-30 goal seasons.

As far as individual performances in our fwd line go, we’re on track for our best return since 2016 and as a team, we’re functioning just as well as we were last year when we were one of the best scoring sides in the comp.

I think some posters don’t really think things through before going on the rants they do.

A little patience is required, we can all assess at seasons end especially given the teams we play on our way home.

Our games to season end will shed light on many things.

So far we have failed against Melbourne, Carlton, Richmond and Geelong (that is a real concern)

We have beaten Sydney (tick)

Games vs North and West Coast help our scoring averages and I would say tactically not much was required due to how bad the opposition were.

Lets wait

Last edited:
May 30, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics
Bevo saying cody only missing one game....impressive toughness.

Having suffered a dislocation myself i was definitely not ready to go play a sport 2 weeks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back