Analysis What is it with Eddie and plans?

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddies' latest rubbish bin filler is about where he is positioned at this time. He is a Victorian, protecting Victorian investments. I don't think there would be too many people crying if Norf simply disappeared. Maybe some of their 5 or 6,000 staunch fans that manage to troop out every week to watch this rabble.

But in the scheme of things those fans are nothing to what Tassie will bring, 450,000 proud Tasmanians. This whole thing is a staged joke. Gillon and his mates DO NOT WANT TASSIE. Otherwise he would not have made the stadium a perogative. If my club president votes against it I will lead a ferocious campaign against him. Listen well Andrew Pridham.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Eddies' latest rubbish bin filler is about where he is positioned at this time. He is a Victorian, protecting Victorian investments. I don't think there would be too many people crying if Norf simply disappeared. Maybe some of their 5 or 6,000 staunch fans that manage to troop out every week to watch this rabble.

But in the scheme of things those fans are nothing to what Tassie will bring, 450,000 proud Tasmanians. This whole thing is a staged joke. Gillon and his mates DO NOT WANT TASSIE. Otherwise he would not have made the stadium a perogative. If my club president votes against it I will lead a ferocious campaign against him. Listen well Andrew Pridham.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Firstly, as a Victorian I still think that South Melbourne and Fitzroy were both shafted by the AFL and we are simply no better off having a relocated Swans and a fabrication of a Brisbane/Fitzroy merged entity.

Victoria is still bringing 50% of the off-field revenue and 50% of the players to the competition, it is also the fastest growing state with the largest appetite for the game. The peanut gallery simply assuming that South and Fitzroy were unsustainable and pissing them off has not helped grow the game any better than if we just started a new Sydney club and left the Brisbane Bears as a single entity.

How do we know this? Because the AFL have stated that they will never forcibly relocate or "merge" another club again. They can truthfully say this because they know it doesn't work, in all likelihood it has a negative net impact.

Secondly, the population of Victoria is 6.7M and growing rapidly.

Even since COVID, the projections are that the population of Victoria will hit 12M before 2060. None of the 10 clubs are insolvent and the population is going to double within 40 years, do you really think any Victorian club is in danger of folding?

By comparison, Tasmania's population has only just started to become positive after years of decline, it's currently an aging population and unlikely to hit 650,000 people by 2060 based on projections.

Can they sustain an AFL club? Maybe, but why would they remove a Victorian club with 153 years of history to do it?

Firstly, as a Victorian I still think that South Melbourne and Fitzroy were both shafted by the AFL and we are simply no better off having a relocated Swans and a fabrication of a Brisbane/Fitzroy merged entity.

Victoria is still bringing 50% of the off-field revenue and 50% of the players to the competition, it is also the fastest growing state with the largest appetite for the game. The peanut gallery simply assuming that South and Fitzroy were unsustainable and pissing them off has not helped grow the game any better than if we just started a new Sydney club and left the Brisbane Bears as a single entity.

How do we know this? Because the AFL have stated that they will never forcibly relocate or "merge" another club again. They can truthfully say this because they know it doesn't work, in all likelihood it has a negative net impact.

Even since COVID, the projections are that the population of Victoria will hit 12M before 2060. None of the 10 clubs are insolvent and the population is going to double within 40 years, do you really think any Victorian club is in danger of folding?

By comparison, Tasmania's population has only just started to become positive after years of decline, it's currently an aging population and unlikely to hit 650,000 people by 2060 based on projections.

Can they sustain an AFL club? Maybe, but why would they remove a Victorian club with 153 years of history to do it?
I have no problem with them keeping the ten remaining Victorian clubs, and you're right. It is a shame about Fitzroy and South Melbourne. Sydney Sharks and Brisbane Bears would've been cool, and I say that as a Lions supporter. But history is history.

I do have a problem, however, with denying the entry of Tasmania because "there are too many teams." They can handle one team; it's not a big ask. It's just wrong not to have down there.

There are too many teams already. Time to bite the bullet. Merge at least two Vic teams.

Tassie can be viable. They will put bums on seats, unlike Norf. Norf might be viable but they do not get people to the footy and their TV ratings would say they do not rate either. But the other thing is how long will Norf be viable if they continue to struggle? History has proven that struggling teams are a burden on the comp. Your bullshit that the relocations of South and Fitzroy have not worked is a farce. Swans 2 premierships and in the last 25 years mostly in the top eight. Lions 3 premierships and totally competitive. Both clubs are fiscally sound. As Victorian teams were neither competitive nor financial

One day Ed might actually have a brilliant plan.... about something...

But we'll never know, because he's now so easily dismissed as a ranting lunatic. A mess of his own making.

Funniest part is he still thinks he’s a man of the people, and that people don’t see through his dressing up ideas of being great for everyone when it’s usually self interest.

Not so much self interest in this case re tassie team, just a stupid idea.

I think they’d survive with less funding than GC, GWS, Brisbane and I’d imagine be comparable supporter base wise to dogs or saints.

Your bullshit that the relocations of South and Fitzroy have not worked is a farce.

Fitzroy didn't relocate.

Lions 3 premierships and totally competitive.

The Brisbane Bears made the finals in 1995 and 1996 (finishing third). They were competitive before they re-branded.

Both clubs are fiscally sound.

In 2020 the Brisbane Lions owed the AFL about $10m, with a further $7m owed to Westpac. So $17 million in debt.

As Victorian teams were neither competitive nor financial

Fitzroy never owed any more than $2.7 million. In 1993 Fitzroy were very competitive on-field.

There are too many teams already. Time to bite the bullet. Merge at least two Vic teams.

Tassie can be viable. They will put bums on seats, unlike Norf. Norf might be viable but they do not get people to the footy and their TV ratings would say they do not rate either. But the other thing is how long will Norf be viable if they continue to struggle? History has proven that struggling teams are a burden on the comp. Your bullshit that the relocations of South and Fitzroy have not worked is a farce. Swans 2 premierships and in the last 25 years mostly in the top eight. Lions 3 premierships and totally competitive. Both clubs are fiscally sound. As Victorian teams were neither competitive nor financial
North*
Lol We have literally had our worst seasons since 1934 and recorded profits 10 years straight. We are s**t and get the worst time slots (rightfully). No s**t the crowds are down.
Just because your mob bent over doesn't mean we will 👍

Fitzroy didn't relocate.

The Brisbane Bears made the finals in 1995 and 1996 (finishing third). They were competitive before they re-branded.

In 2020 the Brisbane Lions owed the AFL about $10m, with a further $7m owed to Westpac. So $17 million in debt.

Fitzroy never owed any more than $2.7 million. In 1993 Fitzroy were very competitive on-field.
1. Fitzroy were disbanded but the Bears were then rebranded the Lions. Sounds like a relocation and merger to me.

2. yes, they were but they were a hell of a lot more competitive after. Three premierships are proof of that.

3. Fitzroy owed over 2 mil at least 3 times. I worked at the club mate. I effing know. We lost everything with the caterer. I wasn't paid for the last week I worked because Fitzroy Football Club had not paid the caterer for any of the functions for 6 months. Only outside functions such as News ltd were paid because they were booked directly with the caterer. But anything like the Gas-lighter's or other Club functions were not paid. The caterer, who was an honest man, eventually paid everybody. 2.7 mil in those days is like 18 mil now. yes and Brisbane paid back the debt after winning 3 premierships mate.

1. Fitzroy were disbanded but the Bears were then rebranded the Lions. Sounds like a relocation and merger to me.

Fitzroy lost their licence to compete in the AFL. The Fitzroy Football Club exist in their own right in Melbourne to this day. Fitzroy didn't relocate anywhere.

All the 1996 Fitzroy directors I've spoken with (and that's all of them) categorically reject there was a merger.

There were hopes of entering the VFL at one stage. The closest that happened was when in 1998 and 1999 (two - three years after the 'merger') Fitzroy Football Club secured naming rights for Coburg Lions to change their name to the Coburg-Fitzroy Lions and play their away games in a Fitzroy jumper.

I suggest you look up the meanings of the words "relocation" and "merger".

2. yes, they were but they were a hell of a lot more competitive after. Three premierships are proof of that.

The Bears would most likely have eventually won at least one premiership sometime after 1996, even if they hadn't received player concessions and money grants from the AFL.

3. Fitzroy owed over 2 mil at least 3 times. I worked at the club mate.

Please. I'm a shareholder of the Fitzroy Football Club. Both in 1996 and now. I attended shareholder meetings with the administrator in 1996. I'm well aware of the financial situation.

I effing know. We lost everything with the caterer. I wasn't paid for the last week I worked because Fitzroy Football Club had not paid the caterer for any of the functions for 6 months.

Did I say Fitzroy didn't have any debt?

Only outside functions such as News ltd were paid because they were booked directly with the caterer. But anything like the Gas-lighter's or other Club functions were not paid. The caterer, who was an honest man, eventually paid everybody.

Yes? Did I say Fitzroy didn't have debt and a cash flow problem?

2.7 mil in those days is like 18 mil now. yes and

$100 in 1996 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $179.46 today, an increase of $79.46 over 26 years. So a $2.7 million debt in 1996 is about $4.83 million in 2022.

The current Brisbane Lions CEO, Greg Swann was one of those auditors who was brought in to recover the secured creditor's debt in 1996, publicly stated in August 2014 that Fitzroy could have (in his words) 'easily been retained' in the AFL competition had there been the will by the AFL to do so.

Brisbane paid back the debt after winning 3 premierships mate.

Fitzroy settled their largest part of the debt - $1.25 million with Nauru out of the merger monies in 1997, to come out of administration in 1998. A registered charge was then placed over the Fitzroy Football Club by the Brisbane Lions, which existed until 1999. The other unsecured creditors (totalling approximately $1.5 million) were paid 27c in the dollar by the administrator.

Last edited:
They will put bums on seats, unlike Norf. Norf might be viable
Come on. You've been on BigFooty for 10 years. You should know the main board rules about these team nicknames.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The new sheedy. 10 s**t ideas and 1 good one, then he will be called a genius for the one good one. I do like some of his opinions though and he is one of the few that isn't a woke w***er in the AFL world these days.

If North had an equitable fixture over the last 20 years their sponsorship and corporate revenue would be much higher and they would not need assistance from the AFL. The ratings drive sponsorship money - nobody wants to pay for jumper space on a Sunday Foxtel-only game. People want to go to corporate boxes on a Friday night, not at midday on Sunday when their kids are playing sports.

It's why when Carlton and Essendon were s**t the corrupt pricks running the AFL gave them commercially the best fixtures, to ensure they made enough money to help them get back to winning.

Rember when Eddie Mcguire cried wanting compensation for Collingwood having to play one Sunday Twilight game, I think he said it cost them about $500,000 in lost revenue.

Now times that by about 12 games per year over 20 years. Are you getting it yet champ?

Rubbish, they had the most marketable player in the game and the Friday night timeslot on their own during their successful time in the 90s and still had barely any supporter growth. I don't think it would have made much difference having more exposure in the last 10 to 20 years, especially considering a lot of that period pay tv has shown all games anyway.

Rubbish, they had the most marketable player in the game and the Friday night timeslot on their own during their successful time in the 90s and still had barely any supporter growth. I don't think it would have made much difference having more exposure in the last 10 to 20 years, especially considering a lot of that period pay tv has shown all games anyway.
Instead of misrepresenting what I said in a rush to defend the way the AFL have rigged the fixture to look after Essendon after they got caught cheating, maybe read my post again and then delete yours.

Instead of misrepresenting what I said in a rush to defend the way the AFL have rigged the fixture to look after Essendon after they got caught cheating, maybe read my post again and then delete yours.

Caught cheating coming from a Dees fan, does tanking ring a bell? Lol. You guys were also knee deep in Steven dank pharmaceuticals but it got swept under the rug because you were such a blight on the competition, any sanctions would have sent you under. Good to see you had some success though and are getting some 'massive' crowds now 🤣.

Caught cheating coming from a Dees fan, does tanking ring a bell? Lol. You guys were also knee deep in Steven dank pharmaceuticals but it got swept under the rug because you were such a blight on the competition, any sanctions would have sent you under. Good to see you had some success though and are getting some 'massive' crowds now 🤣.
Still missing the point of my post I see.

Since you put the off-topic stuff out there - Melbourne was cleared of any wrongdoing in their dealings with Steven Dank, because Melbourne presented the records and evidence of what was administered, which proved there was nothing illegal done. Melbourne players never lied about getting treatment.
Essendon claimed that they never kept any records, - clearly destroyed the evidence because they knew they had cheated - and their players repeatedly lied on their drug testing forms - so they were found guilty of systematic doping. If you can't see the difference stick to eating crayons.

Still missing the point of my post I see.

Since you put the off-topic stuff out there - Melbourne was cleared of any wrongdoing in their dealings with Steven Dank, because Melbourne presented the records and evidence of what was administered, which proved there was nothing illegal done. Melbourne players never lied about getting treatment.
Essendon claimed that they never kept any records, - clearly destroyed the evidence because they knew they had cheated - and their players repeatedly lied on their drug testing forms - so they were found guilty of systematic doping. If you can't see the difference stick to eating crayons.

Very convenient that they were cleared at that time, a proper investigation would have sent you guys under. Do you not remember the AFL slapping you with a wet lettuce leaf for tanking (cheating) and then getting in Paul Roos to save the club? You should be thanking us for taking the fall on your behalf.

Very convenient that they were cleared at that time, a proper investigation would have sent you guys under. Do you not remember the AFL slapping you with a wet lettuce leaf for tanking (cheating) and then getting in Paul Roos to save the club? You should be thanking us for taking the fall on your behalf.
A proper investigation was conducted - evidence was presented, forms checked - it can happen quite quickly when everything is above board.

Melbourne tanking was an absolute blight on the club and the game, as was Caltons (which was worse because the coach and players tanked, not just the selection committee), Collingwoods, and Hathorne's.

The difference is Melbourne fans were and still are furious at what the club did and wanted heads to roll. Essendon nuffies are still trying to spin lies years down the track. Instead of peddling ridicules low IQ posts on Bigfooty - why don't you demand answers from your club?

What does this have to do with Eddie McGuire?
Part my fault - It was taken off track by the usual Essendon nuffies when I mentioned that North need AFL assistance because they get an unfair fixture compared to teams like Essendon and Carlton. Apparently there can be no discussion mennintioning Essendon without stating that the AFL are out to get them and Hird is the most persecuted man on the planet.
I responded with facts off-topic.

Part my fault - It was taken off track by the usual Essendon nuffies when I mentioned that North need AFL assistance because they get an unfair fixture compared to teams like Essendon and Carlton. Apparently there can be no discussion mennintioning Essendon without stating that the AFL are out to get them and Hird is the most persecuted man on the planet.
I responded with facts off-topic.

Actually you were the one that randomly referred to the saga, just pointing out people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, but anyway.

Actually you were the one that randomly referred to the saga, just pointing out people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, but anyway.
I was on topic, replying to a poster saying other clubs can dictate where North is located because they fund North.
My original post referred to preferential treatment of Essendon after they got caught cheating. This is not in dispute - at the press conference when Essendon got rightfully convicted of systematic drug cheating, the AFL said that the most important thing is the AFL do everything that they can to ensure Essendon are successful. A big part of this is by giving them commercially beneficial fixtures - Friday nights, Saturday nights - ones that attract big sponsorship.
This has come at the expense of teams like North, who play the majority of their games in the graveyard timeslots that are pretty much imppossible to make money off. So North deserves additional funding from the AFL

You then went on a rant about Melbourne......

I think Eddie must have trouble sleeping, his mad plan to have North as the Tassie team is just that. MAD! Tasmanians want their own team, with their own colours, their own history that is 160 years old and nothing to do with a Victorian club whatsoever. It's either that or nothing.

I agree with Eddie 19 teams is too many

Tassie can have a team but 19 is too many and Geelong are about to find out the hard way when they hit the bottom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back