Review Dees v Lions - the Good, Bad & very Fugly

Brothers and sisters, the augurs are pensive. Something tidal has left us with that stupid head-knock against the Dockers. Joe "Cletus" Daniher will make his mark. Lions by 13 points in a farewell to arms. How often can one watch the 2021 GF?

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Seems like a similar position to the port game last year.

Season looked a bit rocky, then produced a gutsy prime time win, albeit on the road.

Looks like it will be quite a blustery night, wind gusts up to 45kmh. Not sure if that suits our "kick it long and high" game plan or not.

Wish sportsbet still did their "24 points up paid as a winner" promotion as I can nearly guarantee at some stage we will be up that much before inevitably letting Brisbane back in the game

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fugly: Crowd. But that's what you get for scheduling a 7.20 Thursday night game at the 'G in the middle of winter.

Yep. Don’t get me wrong, crowds have been disappointing across the league. Fixtures like this doing no help to that though, should never have Thursday night games in Melbourne in the middle of winter.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Fugly: Crowd. But that's what you get for scheduling a 7.20 Thursday night game at the 'G in the middle of winter.
Just on this, obviously a lot of talk about crowd numbers being way down this year.

I mentioned on another thread late last season that a few people I knew were very worried about participation levels going back at country footy level. This has definitely been highlighted elsewhere too, including the first weekend of June being the most forfeits ever recorded in a weekend according to country vic data.

I think there is a huge amount of the population who became comfortable at home over past 2 years or so, and that's one aspect of crowds being down. The other obviously the ridiculous rules/interpretations changing week on week.

Personally I've always preferred watching night games at docklands over the mcg purely from the improved standard it generally offers. I think Thursday night games should be offered to Adelaide/Perth/Sydney teams and leave Friday night for melb, especially through June/July.

That said, you're dead right, could be another sub 30k crowd.

tbh i'll take any crowd that beats richmonds a couple of weeks back

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pressure + Quick ball movement + STEVEN MAY.

That’s the blueprint

Excellent crowd in all honesty. Wish I could have been there.

Charlie_s123

Premium Platinum
Jun 1, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good: We’re back! Boys looked refreshed and hungry. Also no injuries (fingers crossed)
Bad: Still miss way too many gettable shots on goals. Hurt us against Freo and will hurt us again.
Ugly: Gawny wasn’t playing so couldn’t take a bounce and help Goody pay back the mafia his gambling losses. RIP.

Early shout for Hibberd. Cameron worried me coming in but Piggy gave him a bath.
Absolutely. Great game by him.
Whole team performed brilliantly. The pressure across the ground was ferocious, led by Viney.
Really liked Bedford's game too. Did all the small forward things: pressured, tackled, kicked some flashy goals all while sporting a patchy mo. Love it

Back