Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Moving on.

It's not not nitpicking to highlight that the the writing, directing or editing for this show is terrible, or there's a mixture of the three. There's hardly anything that makes sense. Just looking at the last episode alone...

The rebel ship escaping the battleship was almost as silly as Leia running around in the woods. Why didn't Vader send TIE fighters to blast it? Why didn't he go after Obi-Wan in his own ship and let the battleship carry on after the escape ship?

In a few days Obi-Wan has gone from no powers, which was already silly, to being able to move mountains. He becomes Obi-Wanda Kenobi.

Last week Vader let Reva live - because reasons. This week Vader lets Obi-Wan live - because reasons.

The action for the Obi-Wan and Vader fight was good but let down by the edit that kept switching away from it.

Obi-Wan lets Vader live - again, even though he now knows there's no Anakin in there. And after earlier in the episode he says "whether he dies or I do, this ends today". And "my friend is truly dead. Goodbye Darth". He could have at least light-sabred the s**t out of Vader's ship.

Reva fixes the gaping holes in her body with no explanation then teleports to Tatooine.

How does Reva know Luke is Anakin's son? Or where he is?

Luke's adoptive parents find out one of the most dangerous assassins in the universe is looking for Luke. Their cunning plan is to stay exactly where she can find him. Why did Reva wait until dark to go after Luke? She's got Jedi powers and has a lightsaber - against a couple of farmers.

Why would she want to kill Luke? Luckily for him her motivation flips yet again.

We know none of the main characters die. So any jeopardy towards them loses impact. And the show doesn't develop any of them in a meaningful way in relation to the movies - in some cases it is inconsistent. It appears to be just a vehicle to set up Reva for a spin-off of the spin-off.

The dialog. "You're ten years old. But you won't always be". FMD.

Luke is chased by a crazy lady with a red lightsaber then meets Ben Kenobi. It doesn't reconcile with his experience in A New Hope.

Leia - when Obi-Wan comes to see her after saving her life multiple times, and saving the rebels on the escape ship - runs past him to play with her droid toy. Also Leia (according to Obi-Wan) "You are wise, discerning, kind hearted". "And passionate, and fearless, forthright". FMD.

Obi-Wan tells Owen the only protection Luke needs "is you". From what we've just seen that is nonsense.

Obi-Wan tells Bail Organa that if Leia ever needs help again "You know where to find me". The very next scene he wanders off on a camel with whereabouts unknown.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The series as a whole was a bit underwhelming but there were nice moments and the last episode was clearly a major improvement on the rest.

Liked the Vader fight and it was cool seeing Christensen under the mask.

There was a lot of filler though. Really hope they improve these series. The pick of all the Disney Star Wars stuff is Mando and Rogue One and not much else has landed.

Aug 20, 2010
The Netherrealm
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Bayern, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Moving on.

It's not not nitpicking to highlight that the the writing, directing or editing for this show is terrible, or there's a mixture of the three. There's hardly anything that makes sense. Just looking at the last episode alone...

The rebel ship escaping the battleship was almost as silly as Leia running around in the woods. Why didn't Vader send TIE fighters to blast it? Why didn't he go after Obi-Wan in his own ship and let the battleship carry on after the escape ship?

In a few days Obi-Wan has gone from no powers, which was already silly, to being able to move mountains. He becomes Obi-Wanda Kenobi.

Last week Vader let Reva live - because reasons. This week Vader lets Obi-Wan live - because reasons.

The action for the Obi-Wan and Vader fight was good but let down by the edit that kept switching away from it.

Obi-Wan lets Vader live - again, even though he now knows there's no Anakin in there. And after earlier in the episode he says "whether he dies or I do, this ends today". And "my friend is truly dead. Goodbye Darth". He could have at least light-sabred the s**t out of Vader's ship.

Reva fixes the gaping holes in her body with no explanation then teleports to Tatooine.

How does Reva know Luke is Anakin's son? Or where he is?

Luke's adoptive parents find out one of the most dangerous assassins in the universe is looking for Luke. Their cunning plan is to stay exactly where she can find him. Why did Reva wait until dark to go after Luke? She's got Jedi powers and has a lightsaber - against a couple of farmers.

Why would she want to kill Luke? Luckily for him her motivation flips yet again.

We know none of the main characters die. So any jeopardy towards them loses impact. And the show doesn't develop any of them in a meaningful way in relation to the movies - in some cases it is inconsistent. It appears to be just a vehicle to set up Reva for a spin-off of the spin-off.

The dialog. "You're ten years old. But you won't always be". FMD.

Luke is chased by a crazy lady with a red lightsaber then meets Ben Kenobi. It doesn't reconcile with his experience in A New Hope.

Leia - when Obi-Wan comes to see her after saving her life multiple times, and saving the rebels on the escape ship - runs past him to play with her droid toy. Also Leia (according to Obi-Wan) "You are wise, discerning, kind hearted". "And passionate, and fearless, forthright". FMD.

Obi-Wan tells Owen the only protection Luke needs "is you". From what we've just seen that is nonsense.

Obi-Wan tells Bail Organa that if Leia ever needs help again "You know where to find me". The very next scene he wanders off on a camel with whereabouts unknown.
Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
"Why is Obi-Wan so weak! He sucks"

"Why is Obi-Wan so strong! This sucks!"

Far out.
I thought Obi Wan should've still been so weak. That was my biggest gripe. Vader at the peak of his powers and he's overpowered by Obi Wan? I mean, I could get behind it if he outsmarted him (due to showing that's where Vader still had to improve from last ep) but to be overpowered by him?! Not a fan.

Truthfully with the state Obi was in, I think it would've been perfect to end it on Obi barely escaping Vader (by outsmarting him) and living to fight another day, not the other way around.

Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
And Obi Wan going from a hermit who wasn't training, and wasn't using the Force, to being a powerhouse who flogged peak Vader, for no legitimate reason, was crap. Disney have this terrible habit of people going from useless to awesome, or awesome to useless, without any real effort, explanation or investment.

He should've got his arse kicked one at the start by Vader, we should've had a big time jump where he was hiding out, training his arse off and communicating with Qui G, before a final confrontation with Vader where he just manages to defeat him.
So random tangent, but it relates to your post. I saw this stupid "rumour" on some random page the other day that Disney wanted to buy DBZ and make live action adaptations that it thinks could be "bigger than the MCU and Star Wars combined" absolute hogwash of a rumour and sheer stupidity - but still let's entertain it for a moment.

Disney could never make a Dragonball Z adaptation, because it goes completely against their ethos. Dragonball Z is about training, overcoming obstacles, getting back up when your defeated, resilience and sheer determination, combined with the Achille-an philosophy of war being a destined reality but finding true nobility in the love for ones family and friends and the simple nature of life.

Disney could never make a film about that, the script would come to some Disney writers room or an exec level and some Berkley educated scrub would say "does this really send the right message?", isn't "working hard" a colonialist white ideal?, "aren't the Saiyans a cheap stand in for white supremacy?".

So no, there could have never been a scene of Obi Wan training and improving because that concept is an antihesis to the modern US post-academic milieu that believes people are either inherently good or inherently bad based on their gender, race or social class (all the while ignoring the intersections of each of those categories, unless it is a means of saying someone is more disadvantaged as opposed to less).

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
People need to stop thinking of Filoni and Favreau as some kind of saviours. BOBF was their doing and while the Mandalorian is fun, it ain’t Breaking Bad. They are 2-1 and there were warning signs in Mandalorian 2 that they are getting twisted up in their own mythology rather than focusing on great content.

Taika Waititi saying he will eschew nostalgia and do something new is the best sign of things to come.
I share this sentiment. I have time for Filoni and Favreu but BOBF was terrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
So random tangent, but it relates to your post. I saw this stupid "rumour" on some random page the other day that Disney wanted to buy DBZ and make live action adaptations that it thinks could be "bigger than the MCU and Star Wars combined" absolute hogwash of a rumour and sheer stupidity - but still let's entertain it for a moment.

Disney could never make a Dragonball Z adaptation, because it goes completely against their ethos. Dragonball Z is about training, overcoming obstacles, getting back up when your defeated, resilience and sheer determination, combined with the Achille-an philosophy of war being a destined reality but finding true nobility in the love for ones family and friends and the simple nature of life.

Disney could never make a film about that, the script would come to some Disney writers room or an exec level and some Berkley educated scrub would say "does this really send the right message?", isn't "working hard" a colonialist white ideal?, "aren't the Saiyans a cheap stand in for white supremacy?".

So no, there could have never been a scene of Obi Wan training and improving because that concept is an antihesis to the modern US post-academic milieu that believes people are either inherently good or inherently bad based on their gender, race or social class (all the while ignoring the intersections of each of those categories).
Preach.
My two favorite youtubers are Robot Head and The Critical Drinker. The latter made a video "whats wrong with modern movies" where he makes just that point, and using Mulan the cartoon movie vs Mulan the live-action remake as an example.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
There was a lot of filler though. Really hope they improve these series. The pick of all the Disney Star Wars stuff is Mando and Rogue One and not much else has landed.
The legacy characters (Solo, Obi-Wan, Boba Fett) should have been 'event' mini-series on Disney Plus, TV shows saved for new content (Mandalorian, Acolyte, Andor...even though he was in R1, he's a new character). And the movies for exploring the future or far past.

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I thought Obi Wan should've still been so weak. That was my biggest gripe. Vader at the peak of his powers and he's overpowered by Obi Wan? I mean, I could get behind it if he outsmarted him (due to showing that's where Vader still had to improve from last ep) but to be overpowered by him?! Not a fan.

Truthfully with the state Obi was in, I think it would've been perfect to end it on Obi barely escaping Vader (by outsmarting him) and living to fight another day, not the other way around.

Well it wouldn’t have been because it would have made Vadars “when I left you I was but the learner , now I am the master” line redundant as If he defeated Kenobi he would have been the Master….

And Obi did outsmart him, firstly when buried, secondly with hurling objects at vadar and thirdly going after his life support…

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
There's a few complaints that I might do later, recurring shortcomings present throughout the whole series, but for now, overall, that was really good. Really good. The dialogue was a cut above, the characters great.

'Ben? Do you want to meet him?'

I teared up on that and I'm ready again remembering it as I write it out. Brilliant.

'Took you long enough'
'I was beginning to think you would never come'

Man

I complain, as others do, that the people making it don't get it sometimes, on this episode, they got it. And if there's any episode you want to get it on, it's the finale.

Did I love it? Hmmm..maybe.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Once the child support agency finds out Vaders up for a shitload of maintenance backpay on his wage. Kiss those tax returns goodbye Lord Vader.
I don't think he earns a wage, directly. He just has a large budget to operate his department with. Like Steve Jobs worked for 1 dollar a year.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
All the the dialog was either a call back to the originals or prequels, or some cheesy emotional one-liner.

A high school student could have written this show.
Have you watched Star Wars? Or lived life? Sometimes people use the same phrases and expressions more than once. They have habits and quirks.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
So vaders now lost again to obi wan. He loses a lot doesnt he. Maybe he just aint all the good.

its starting to make lukes victory in return of the jedi not all that glorious. Especially given vader was a very old man by that point.
Collingwood lost 3 football games in 2011.

All of them to Geelong.

Collingwood sure did lose a lot that season didn't they.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
And Obi Wan going from a hermit who wasn't training, and wasn't using the Force, to being a powerhouse who flogged peak Vader, for no legitimate reason, was crap. Disney have this terrible habit of people going from useless to awesome, or awesome to useless, without any real effort, explanation or investment.

He should've got his arse kicked one at the start by Vader, we should've had a big time jump where he was hiding out, training his arse off and communicating with Qui G, before a final confrontation with Vader where he just manages to defeat him.
Mate, I normally agree with your opinions on current day Star Wars, but come on.

This isn't Rocky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back