England v New Zealand (Jun 2022 - 3 Match Test Series)

What will the Series Score between England and New Zealand be?

• England 1-0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • England 2-0

• England 3-0

• England 2-1

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Draw 0-0

• Draw 1-1

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • New Zealand 1-0

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • New Zealand 2-0

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • New Zealand 3-0

• New Zealand 2-1

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

England have somewhat surprised me this series, didn't expect them to bat as well as they have.

NZ well what can you say, awful defence of a world test championship, although I've always thought India and Australia were marginally stronger sides even when the Kiwis won in 2021.
There batting has been decent this series it's their bowling that's let them down. That and the fact that Latham hasn't fired a shot. For someone who is a well established opener his record against decent attacks is not great. Bit of a flat track bully when conditions suit him but with the ball moving around gets found wanting. Averages 40 plus but that to me is inflated because he needs to show more form against great bowlers.

That Stokes guy.. Been involved first hand in three of the most incredible victories of our time

There batting has been decent this series it's their bowling that's let them down. That and the fact that Latham hasn't fired a shot. For someone who is a well established opener his record against decent attacks is not great. Bit of a flat track bully when conditions suit him but with the ball moving around gets found wanting. Averages 40 plus but that to me is inflated because he needs to show more form against great bowlers.

Yeah he is one where he looks a very good opener on paper but a deeper dive into his stats shows he is mediocre against better teams, average of 70 against bang/windies/sl/zim average of just 27 vs aus/eng/ind/sa/pak its not even a pitch thing or home and away issue he just isnt very good against the better test sides.

Joe Root is in suburb form no doubt and has justly reclaimed the mantle of best batsmen in the world right now but gee I think some of the English press need to get their hands off their collective rods a bit. Saw some bloke on BBC News a couple of days pondering whether it's the best run of form test cricket has ever seen.

22 tests, 10 centuries, average 57 is fantastic. You can take it further with the average - last 32 tests, average 57, just the one additional century though (11).

Forgetting Bradman averaged 99 for a moment and plentiful other extraordinary runs of form we have seen over the years, just amongst the modern day fab four - Steve Smith late 2013 to end of 2017 - 42 tests, average 74, 22 centuries.

Joe Root is in suburb form no doubt and has justly reclaimed the mantle of best batsmen in the world right now but gee I think some of the English press need to get their hands off their collective rods a bit. Saw some bloke on BBC News a couple of days pondering whether it's the best run of form test cricket has ever seen.

22 tests, 10 centuries, average 57 is fantastic. You can take it further with the average - last 32 tests, average 57, just the one additional century though (11).

Forgetting Bradman averaged 99 for a moment and plentiful other extraordinary runs of form we have seen over the years, just amongst the modern day fab four - Steve Smith late 2013 to end of 2017 - 42 tests, average 74, 22 centuries.

If you take his 5 tests and 10 innings in Australia out of the picture it would look substantially better, sadly for the Poms you can't do that and he failed down under miserably yet again.

I've got Potts as being the 11th pace bowler England has picked in the last 12 months. Robinson, Wood, Anderson, Broad, Woakes, Overton, Mahmood, Curran, Stone, Fisher and now Potts. They've played 14 tests over that time and none of them played more than 9. You'll note that that doesn't include Jofra Archer or the pace bowling all-rounder in Stokes.

For comparison you need to go back 6 years to find Australia 11th last pace bowler picked (Joe Mennie). Or 11 years for NZ who admittedly play about half the Test of England.
Make it an even dozen in the last 12 months for England with Jamie Overton (Craigs brother) to debut. Anderson out with an ankle injury.

Williamson wins the toss and has chosen to bat, the pitch and conditions look good for batting so hopefully we can pile on the runs.

We've dropped Jamieson and Henry for Williamson and Wagner so we've strengthened our batting at the expense of our bowling so we need to bat big.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Latham in 2022 now has 328 runs @ 29.81. It includes a 252.

61 runs @ 7.63 in the series v SA and England this year.

Geez that's a tough one. The bats too close to the ball in that frame where it hits the pad to be sure and to therefore overturn but just from experience you feel like the two noises were bat hitting pad and ball hitting pad.

Good luck umpiring that sort of thing.

I'm fascinated by Conways ability to cover the ball from going past his outside edge. I don't know how he doesn't get bowled between bat and pad all the time or chop on.

Edit: Cricviz says 92% of Conways edges are inside edges. The average for all Test players is 57%.

I'm fascinated by Conways ability to cover the ball from going past his outside edge. I don't know how he doesn't get bowled between bat and pad all the time or chop on.

He has a good eye and he has very good concentration.

And as I speak Conway drives Broad for four.

Edit: Cricviz says 92% of Conways edges are inside edges. The average for all Test players is 57%.
You just knew he was going to chop on didnt you?

Back