Preview Changes: R15 vs North Melbourne, Sunday June 26, 12.40pm ACST in Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

I mentioned this about 8 weeks ago. The problem with Matt Crouch is not that he can't play the position at all, its that we already replaced him last year with Rory Laird who is a better version of him as a midfielder in nearly every way. I actually wouldn't have an issue with playing Matt if Rory was injured, but shoehorning them both in the side is unbalancing and counterproductive.
He needs to become what Luke Dunstan is for Melbourne. If Viney or Oliver is out he plays, if they're healthy he's in the 2's.

He needs to become what Luke Dunstan is for Melbourne. If Viney or Oliver is out he plays, if they're healthy he's in the 2's.
Correct. Despite what some in here believe Matt's not a terrible player, he's just former best 22 player who has been surpassed, probably twice now with Berry coming on. In a rebuild our selection committee need to recognize when this happens and action it for the betterment of the team, or accept the constant criticism they are currently (and rightly) receiving.

It already happened with Sloane, its happening with Brown, and IMO signs are ominous with Smith as well. Once day in a few years it will happen with Tex, (although he's still well in front of the curve).

Last edited:

Absolutely. 100%. He needs to be depth. If Laird and Keays are out, he can come in and be the mature bodied accumulator that wins the tough ball.

I was fine with giving him 7 games at the start of the year. There was no improvement. So once he was dropped that should have been the end of season 2022. Tell him what he needs to work on and over the 2nd half of the season and give him another preseason. Give him 5 games in 2023 to see what happens.

I mentioned this about 8 weeks ago. The problem with Matt Crouch is not that he can't play the position at all, its that we already replaced him last year with Rory Laird who is a better version of him as a midfielder in nearly every way. I actually wouldn't have an issue with playing Matt if Rory was injured, but shoehorning them both in the side is unbalancing and counterproductive.
This!
Spot on.

I wouldn't see the benefit playing Crouch even if Laird or Keays were out. May as well play someone like Pedlar, Schoenberg, Taylor or even Jones in the middle

Really struggling with Himmelberg in team selection. I was at the SANFL game last weekend and he was putrid to be quite frank. He did not take a pack mark, was uncompetitive at times and could not even pick up the ball from the ground a usual strength of his.

Jones, Schoenberg ok with - they played half decent football and Jones move into the midfield caused the team to begin winning centre clearances.

Worell still too flakey but getting better. His deer in the headlights in the goal square is an illustration of the brain fades he can have.

Strauchnie very very very very unlucky not to be partnering ROB in ruck cf Himmmelberg.

It's been 17 years since our last and only win in Tassie, losing our last 5 games there.
We are 0-2 at Bellerive (both losses to North) and 1-5 at York Park.

I was at that game in 2005. Was not a pretty win but I'll always remember it. The only Adelaide win in TAS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I Like Himmelberg.

Both he and Framptom were features in our best three wins. Hope he plays if TT is out. Come at me.

I dont mind the selection even if hes coming in off an average game in SANFL. At this point in a rebuild, the more data you get on players like Himmelberg the better. Cant spend another year trying to figure out of hes going to cut it or not.

I dont mind the selection even if hes coming in off an average game in SANFL. At this point in a rebuild, the more data you get on players like Himmelberg the better. Cant spend another year trying to figure out of hes going to cut it or not.
Im pretty sure most on here have figured it out about old cement hands

Nicks say Walker left training early with a tight calf if hes out could we see
Tex and tt out
2 of gollant/fish/himmel in?
If he's in doubt at all, then rest him. No point flogging him (except in desperation because we are scared of the embarrassment of losing to North).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back