Luke Hodge (impact on Fagan/Zorko/Andrews)

golions

Team Captain
Jul 10, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm starting to wonder if Luke Hodge covered up for a lot of deficiencies of both Zorko and Fagan during our rise in 2018->19.

Feel like our backline was much more organised with him around and had a huge influence on Harris Andrews whose form is seemingly slowly dropping off as the time goes on (although playing well tonight). Hodge made everyone around him better and even though he wasn't in our best players during the season, he was our best finals player in 2019. I feel like Fagan is out of ideas and Hodgey probably had fresher ideas and better way to relate to the players (the younger new age coaches such as Mcrae, Voss and Mitchell are proving to be successful in terms of getting the players playing for them more than the older coaches such as Noble)

Hodge was basically the onfield/spiritual captain-coach. Even though Zorko has moments of brilliance and he was leading us through some pretty tough times, I wonder if he is really the man to lead us to a premiership given he is still prone to immature acts.

McIvor

Club Legend
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ryan Lester should be playing more than what he is - discliplined organised and a leader - yes, hes no Luke Hodge, not syaing he is, but hes also the closest thing we have to him yet we dont use him. Confusing.

And then we give games to debutants or Jaryd Lyons who looks as cooked as anyone on our list.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Ryan Lester should be playing more than what he is - discliplined organised and a leader - yes, hes no Luke Hodge, not syaing he is, but hes also the closest thing we have to him yet we dont use him. Confusing.

And then we give games to debutants or Jaryd Lyons who looks as cooked as anyone on our list.
Who are you dropping from the defensive unit to accommodate Lester?

Hodge is awesome and he is absolutely a massive reason for our improvement.

He loves this group - maybe we need to pester him to quit that rubbish media work, and becomes out coach.

I'm a Fagan fan, but I'd vote him out and hodge in in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Lets Roar like '44

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Luke Hodge was the best recruit we've picked up in the last decade. Superb leader and competitor with a laser left foot. No wonder the Hawks were a powerhouse for so long.

Need his IP around the club.
Regardless of the huge impact behind the scenes, he was always so calm and cool on the field plus his leadership which you would always see when watching the games.
I feel he’s probably liking the media gig more than wanting to coach, but the longer we can hold onto anything of his the better.

McIvor

Club Legend
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Regardless of the huge impact behind the scenes, he was always so calm and cool on the field plus his leadership which you would always see when watching the games.
I feel he’s probably liking the media gig more than wanting to coach, but the longer we can hold onto anything of his the better.
Does Luke still live in Brisbane or has he gone back to Melbourne?

Back