WCE peak Judd was better than peak GAJ and peak Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
Only OGs will understand. People think he only became a contested possession, inside beast at Carlton but that's not true. He was always super dominant inside and out, regularly at the top of the league for contested possessions, clearances, tackles, and hardball-gets.

After that groin injury in 2007, he lost a gear to his athleticism and became merely the best thing that ever happened to Carlton in the 21st century. Not the same player but still a Brownlow medalist and a HOFer purely off his years at the Blues. The man elevated that entire club; he elevated the mediocre careers of top draft picks like Gibbs, Murphy, and Kruezer.

Another misconception is that he didn't have good disposal efficiency. In 2006, his kicking efficiency was 83%.

"Judd continues to build his reputation as the best midfielder of the modern era with his dominance in 2006 culminating in a set of numbers that may never be matched. Judd averaged more clearances, contested possessions and hardball-gets than any player in 2006 and also booted more goals than any other midfielder (29). He had an elite kicking efficiency of 83% and he remarkably turned the ball over only 12 times from his 332 kicks. His work when not in possession can often go unnoticed, however he averaged five tackles per game last season which ranked sixth in the AFL. Judd's dominance in the big games is outstanding with averages of 29 disposals, 14 contested possessions, eight hardball-gets, eight clearances, five inside 50s and four tackles in the past two seasons"

His only weakness was that he couldn't lift his arms above his head due to his wrecked shoulders.

I mean, does anyone even argue this? His years at the Eagles pre-injury was the best football I've ever seen from someone. If he didn't get injured, pretty sure he would be considered the greatest midfielder of all time, instead of 'just' the legend that he is.

GAJ gets disrespected

Easily the best midfielder

At Geelong = only great because they are good and look after him

At Gold Coast = only great because they are s**t

31.5 touches & 1.8 goals a game in his last year at Geelong when Icehead Thompson hated him and tried to sabotage him as a player

33.8 & 1.3 two years later in a 3-19 62% team is a feat that won't be matched again

5 MVP's
2 brownlows (should have been 4 or 5)
8 All Australians
3 AFLCA awards

He's the best I've seen in the modern era during those years, he was the complete package. Just obviously couldn't sustain it for as long with his injury issues.

GAJ does get underrated just a touch due to being up at the GC though I reckon, I'd take his career over Judd's as a whole.

Nope, dustys peak got him 3 norm smiths and a Brownlow with record Brownlow votes. Dustys peak was also 1-2 seasons longer. Dunno how you can still say Judd after that, Dusty could not do any better he broke AFL records Judd didn’t.

He was a handy steak knives in the Dennis Armfield trade

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends how long a peak goes for. Dusty's 2017 season he kicked 37 goals, averaged a hair under 30 disposals, had 36 Brownlow votes and won just about every individual accolade he realistically could in that season.

But I agree if using a "peak" as longer than 1 individual season, then Judd would have him covered, as would GAJ with 5 MVPs.

I'd agree... WC Judd was the best midfielder I've seen. Was just a level above.

Correct. He was a complete freak. The best inside mid and the best outside mid in the league at the same time.

Others have done it for longer but 03-06 Judd, when he had his speed and explosiveness, was the best mid of the AFL era.

The Judd/Cousins/Kerr midfield combo 18 years ago was one of the best in the league. When Judd left for Carlton, he wasn’t the same player he was at his peak but won a Brownlow in 2010.

Judd was jaw dropping great , hard to seperate his best performances and abletts, just total domination.

Peak Ablett snr was higher than any though I think, his sons went for longer and I rate him as a better player overall, but Ablett snr on fire was genuinely unstoppable he would kick 12 sit on your head and then shirt front you afterwards.

West Coast Chris Judd wasn’t even the best midfielder in his team, Ben Cousins was a far better footballer than Judd during the Eagles years.
I’m not saying his better but due to all his post career and off field incidents I think people tend to forget just how good of a player cousins was I rate him right up there with the best midfielders I’ve seen play

Remove this Banner Ad

Back