Autopsy Round 15, 2022: Hawks mauled by Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually thought we would be better than this.

That was your first mistake. I was expecting this type of ladder finish and it’s been pleasant to watch 80% of the time this season because I can live with losses in a rebuild if we play a better brand of footy to 2019-21 and have some good young players developing. I can live with the 2.5-3 quarter efforts and near losses to better sides but tonight was fairly poor even for our standards.

He was no orphan tonight - there were ball watchers everywhere

My post was more about what type of captain he would be
In my opinion, neither are captaincy material. Morrison isn’t even best 22 material if we are going to be a finals side. Sicily I love, but just doesn’t seem like he would make a great captain.

Lotus I’ve Never given thought to Morrison being given the opportunity to be acting captain.

Wouldn’t mind seeing how he goes - the downside is many still don’t believe he is first 22 let alone captain.

Sicily was disappointing tonight and don’t think he showed leadership at all - it was more a flashback to the old Sicily

That's just my observation from the ground. He's giving directions and literally goes to defenders e.g. Sicilly to encourage him, because when Sicily playing badly it's really obvious and contagious.

Perhaps Harry's impact not being capture on screen but thats just how I see and feel it on field. Same like Scrimshaw and Hardwick who keep encouraging Blanck when it's obvious he's disapointed with himself.

I'll probably get hammered for this but SYL is bang on. Kozi is not the answer to a partnership with Lewis. Don't bother quoting how many goals he has kicked because it won't change my mind.

I really like him because he tries his guts out but his footy smarts as a forward are just not there and his hands are like bricks.

I'll probably get hammered for this but SYL is bang on. Kozi is not the answer to a partnership with Lewis. Don't bother quoting how many goals he has kicked because it won't change my mind.

I really like him because he tries his guts out but his footy smarts as a forward are just not there and his hands are like bricks.

I’m hopeful for max lynch if he isn’t bone china. Seems to have smarts

Game went how I thought. Our back and forward lines are better, and when our midfield were on top early we dominated all across the ground. But as soon as our midfield slowed their experience, power and talent there overwhelmed. Our forward supply was completely cut off and our back line put under immense pressure. Really quite a good effort from our back line to prevent an even worse score line given the ease of which it was coming in from the middle.

No point getting mad about it though. We knew our midfield is our biggest issue going into the season and it just went up against one of the best midfields in the comp. We'll hit the draft again and find another few additions.

In my opinion, neither are captaincy material. Morrison isn’t even best 22 material if we are going to be a finals side. Sicily I love, but just doesn’t seem like he would make a great captain.
Morrison > Sphanger, Duryea, Simpkin, Schoenmakers, Langford, Young, Savage, Ellis,

Morrison would get a game in our 2012-6 side.

I rate Harry. I didn’t, but think he has stepped up another level this season and has been fearless in some marking contests against some pretty big tough bodies. Also think his decision making is pretty good.

Just got to work on those Mitchell helicopter kicks

100%. Thats why I want to give him a go down back, cos he aint doing for me as a FWD. Although now Blanck looks good, he looks like a depth player. No footy smarts at all.

Morrison > Sphanger, Duryea, Simpkin, Schoenmakers, Langford, Young, Savage, Ellis,

Morrison would get a game in our 2012-6 side.
Morrison is good but i would take Duryea, Langford and maybe even Spangher during that time.

Schoey was a keyfwd/def, Simpkin/Young/Savage/Ellis yes i'd take Morrison.

Kozi misses an absolute soda of a mark at the end of the first, and then Moore misses a goal an U16 would have kicked. Those two goals might have knocked the stuffing out of them.

Not long ago we were a “young team” who was going through ups and downs. Our games against St Kilda (slightly above average AFL team), Gold Coast (average AFL team) and Footscray (marginally above-average AFL team) have been nothing short of embarrassing. We are bog average. Bog average. When we need some poise and composure, no one stands up. Our first round draft pick (DGB) can’t get a game ahead of a mid-season draft pick.
Will always be there, but the sugar coating has to stop. We allowed Josh Schache and Ugle-Hopeless look like Carey and McKernan. Sicily was feeble and showed zero leadership.
This rebuild will be 1991 -> proportions. It’s going to be a long time before we find success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not long ago we were a “young team” who was going through ups and downs. Our games against St Kilda (slightly above average AFL team), Gold Coast (average AFL team) and Footscray (marginally above-average AFL team) have been nothing short of embarrassing. We are bog average. Bog average. When we need some poise and composure, no one stands up. Our first round draft pick (DGB) can’t get a game ahead of a mid-season draft pick.
Will always be there, but the sugar coating has to stop. We allowed Josh Schache and Ugle-Hopeless look like Carey and McKernan. Sicily was feeble and showed zero leadership.
This rebuild will be 1991 -> proportions. It’s going to be a long time before we find success.

So easy to play the chicken little card when you isolate those games and conveniently dismiss beating 2 top 4 sides and being within striking distance of the other 2 and Carlton. We’re not nearly as bad as you’re suggesting. If you can’t find any positives in this season I genuinely feel sorry for you.

Kozi misses an absolute soda of a mark at the end of the first, and then Moore misses a goal an U16 would have kicked. Those two goals might have knocked the stuffing out of them.

you might be right on some points but this is a major overreaction lol

this year we've been thereabouts in the vast majority of our games. Even top 4 sides will have 3+ stinkers a year, we've really only had ~4 or so games where we've looked really poor, just unable to finish off more experienced teams that are simply a bit better than us

if this is so awful then idk what you thought about 19-21

Great: Lewis, Moore, Scrimshaw and Hardwick
Good: Breust, Blanck, Bramble and Macdonald
Ok: Reeves, Worpel and Newcombe
Ordinary: Sicily, Impey, Butler, Howe, Shiels, CJ, Morrison, O’Meara, Mitchell and Nash
Poor: Kosi
Hopefully Day, Ward, Wingard, Gunston and DGB all play next week.

if this is so awful then idk what you thought about 19-21

There’s the thing too - we are basically 2 years into the rebuild which is a big turnaround from a completely failed top up strategy which plundered 4 first round picks inside 3 years for a B grade midfielder who’ll never hit his ceiling due to past injuries and a former AA who has his moments but has never lit it up here. For people to expect miracles of a first year coach in the second year of a rebuild is a tad silly.

For good reason Tom and JOM are getting a fair bake.

Now I’ll preface this by saying I love Duke and what he has done so far, but tonight against 4 star mids, he looked like a mid season draft pick.
We are talking him up to be equal to some of these star mids but really, he has some way to go.
He was easily our best mid. Didn't have a big impact but made sound decisions with ball in hand and had composure. Refering to Newk. Sure the Dogs mids overwhelmed him a bit but if we actually get some good support around him the guy will dominate. To put it in perspective he was miles better than Mitchell who had absolutely no presence out there yet had 22 nothing possessions.

He was easily our best mid. Didn't have a big impact but made sound decisions with ball in hand and had composure. Refering to Newk. Sure the Dogs mids overwhelmed him a bit but if we actually get some good support around him the guy will dominate. To put it in perspective he was miles better than Mitchell who had absolutely no presence out there yet had 22 nothing possessions.
He had five contested possessions and 13 uncontested. He needs to start winning contested ball or we need someone to do it for him effectively.

Midfield is straight up personnel issue rn

Worps - I think the stat line flattered. Struggled to stick tackles and a bit slow and fumbly

JOM - meh

Titch - sprinted out to a flank took a mark on our HB flank then took an age to kick only to turn it over (from memory the kick didn’t have enough depth) - sums it up really. Good player still but our game doesn’t fit his strengths

CMac - tracks the ball well and is a one touch player, big tick with some of his work tonight

Nash & Nuke both out gunned tonight, no shame in that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back