Travel Popular Travel Destinations & Holidays You Didn't Like

Remove this Banner Ad

I really want to go to Latvia where my dad was born (Riga)

Heard its really nice. Looks good in pics.

Problem is its next door to Ukraine and Russia.

Safe travel website says its safe to visit but may hold off a few years

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
I've been to all the Baltic countries. Latvia was nice, though I think Vilnius was my favourite city.

Melbourne is as close to brisbane as cairns is. he was talking about brisbane not cairns.
Fair enough. By "here" I thought you meant Australia. But I agree. Brisbane is a dumpster fire. If you want to experience the real Queensland you need to go to the regional areas. Cairns and Townsville especially are both great.

I've been to all the Baltic countries. Latvia was nice, though I think Vilnius was my favourite city.
Would have to agree on Vilnius. Absolutely beautiful city. I would have no hesitation returning to the Baltic countries currently despite the troubles in the region and having spent a bit of time in the ex Soviet states it’s sad that I probably won’t get to return to some any time soon

Same, although I liked Tallinn the most. I always say that the Baltic countries are hidden gems of Europe, no one talks about them but the old towns in each of the cities are fantastic to explore - and they're not overcrowded.

Just felt very meh! To me, once you've seen the first few metres of the strip, you've seen it all kind of thing.
To each their own but the scale and glitz (i wont say glamour cause its pretty tawdry) of Vegas is something else.

You go and you realise that the Hangover and other Vegas movies arent implausible, the buildings and the city itself are a maze in the middle of nothing. Your trapped but you want to be.

Melbourne doesnt even come close to having that same unique appeal. Macau is similar but even that isnt quite the same. Monte Carlo maybe but its so insanely priced.

\

You go and you realise that the Hangover and other Vegas movies arent implausible, the buildings and the city itself are a maze in the middle of nothing. Your trapped but you want to be.
\

I'd go back to Vegas, now that they have an NFL and NHL team.

But my favourite thing about the place when I was there was going into the hotels and just getting lost and walking around, some of them were massive!

Copenhagen I don't think has been mentioned.

Not really a holiday hot spot but I was travelling through Scandinavia and a band I like was playing a concert there so I went for a visit.

I didn't hate the place, it was just a bit meh. Not much to do. I visited in the shoulder season, Tivoli Gardens was open but I didn't visit it. Asked some people who were leaving and they said too much of it was not operating and it wasn't worth your time.

The amount of cigarette butts around was just insane. They are big smokers. Even the people operating the hot dog stands were having a smoke while they were preparing food. Great hot dogs though.

Naples has also been mentioned. Worth a visit and a lot of stuff to see in the area. But I did feel a real sense of comfort as I left the place via train. Whole place just seemed a bit on edge.

Not so much a destination more the attractions.
Louvre = Mona Lisa is not Da Vinci's best painting. Madonna on the Rocks, City Girl and John the Baptist just as good/better.
Also think Muse'd Orsay and Muse'd Orange are better. Enjoyed them more with the French Impressionist paintings and history.

Fair enough. By "here" I thought you meant Australia. But I agree. Brisbane is a dumpster fire. If you want to experience the real Queensland you need to go to the regional areas. Cairns and Townsville especially are both great.

They arent - both towns are sweaty shitholes.

See the reef out of Port Douglas - every other place north of about Hervey Bay sucks. (Come to think of it, most of Qld south of Hervey Bay sucks as well.)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Louvre = Mona Lisa is not Da Vinci's best painting. Madonna on the Rocks, City Girl and John the Baptist just as good/better.
Also think Muse'd Orsay and Muse'd Orange are better. Enjoyed them more with the French Impressionist paintings and history.
Plus it is behind so much protection and barriers you can't really get a decent look at it.

It's really there to be something to say you've seen but you can't get a close look at it.

I think the Uffizi gallery in Florence has the right balance between protection and giving people the ability to appreciate the art.

See the reef out of Port Douglas - every other place north of about Hervey Bay sucks. (Come to think of it, most of Qld south of Hervey Bay sucks as well.)
I wouldn't do Townsville other than a(n air)port to the region. Might time it for a Cowboys game, but I'd only go there for family (1 uncle lives a little north of Townsville, my aunty lives in Ayr - Their 3 kids (cousins) live around Ayr and Townsville, and my grandma in Home Hill)

Would CONSIDER Cairns, but probably wouldn't do it.
ANd I'd consider a Crows game in Brisbane to see another uncle.

QLD just doesnt interest me much. Would only go for family/sport.

I wouldn't do Townsville other than a(n air)port to the region. Might time it for a Cowboys game, but I'd only go there for family (1 uncle lives a little north of Townsville, my aunty lives in Ayr - Their 3 kids (cousins) live around Ayr and Townsville, and my grandma in Home Hill)

Would CONSIDER Cairns, but probably wouldn't do it.
ANd I'd consider a Crows game in Brisbane to see another uncle.

QLD just doesnt interest me much. Would only go for family/sport.

I was only meant to be there for a week - I had timed it with the Cowboys vs Raiders game in about round 2 or 3. The Raiders got whacked, I had issues with my car and my van, and I ended up staying for a horrible 6 weeks. At one point it was looking like I might have to get work and admit that, at least momentarily, I lived there. Fortunately my luck turned and I was able to get the hell out and back to Melbourne. Broke AF, still unemployed - but at least I got the hell out of North Qld.

As I wrote in my original post, I didnt love Cairns either. In fact I probably preferred Townsville if you were doing a raw city vs city match up - what makes Cairns possibly better than Townsville isnt actually Cairns, its Cairns proximity to the Atherton Tablelands, Fitzroy Island, Port Douglas, and a better reef experience than Towsville.

Haven't travelled overseas for a long long time, but am going to Europe soon. Does anyone know whether you can take liquids on an international flight, in your checked bagged (eg toothpaste, shaving gel) without it being dispensed into 100ml clear bottles? I can't make head or tail of the airlines rules on this stuff.

Haven't travelled overseas for a long long time, but am going to Europe soon. Does anyone know whether you can take liquids on an international flight, in your checked bagged (eg toothpaste, shaving gel) without it being dispensed into 100ml clear bottles? I can't make head or tail of the airlines rules on this stuff.

Went overseas 3 months ago with toothpaste in my checked luggage.

Have always done it and never had an issue.

I think you only have to dispense it if it's in your carry on.

Last edited:

I think Sunny Coast all the way up to Townsville is pretty great if you like beaches personally.

At any point along that 1500kms you’re a stones throw from a cracking bit of sand and blue ocean.

Just got back from Malaysia. Stayed in Penang, firstly at an amazing resort at the North tip of the island. Was great, as was the town a few km’s down the road. Then stayed for two nights at Georgetown - the main city on the island. Thought it was an absolute hole to be honest. Stinky, dirty, cramming with people, nothing amazing to see. The tourist sites were crammed and desperation of the locals to make a buck from you was depressing. Stayed at Campbell House hotel which was a diamond in the rough. Beautiful hotel.

Then we went to KL for 4 nights. Felt like the city offered nothing. Just shopping malls and concrete. Literally had a tough time even finding Malaysian food to eat as everything there is to cater for the huge throng of Western, Chinese and Japanese tourists.

Still it was a very relaxing trip and nice to thaw out from the cold.

Just got back from Malaysia. Stayed in Penang, firstly at an amazing resort at the North tip of the island. Was great, as was the town a few km’s down the road. Then stayed for two nights at Georgetown - the main city on the island.
Was in Penang and KL over new years last year and I won't go back. Agree with all your sentiments. Langkawi is worth a visit though and much, much nicer. Plus it's a gateway to the smaller Thai islands.

Doesnt everyone enjoy the musee dOrsay and Musee d Orange more?

Just got back from Malaysia. Stayed in Penang, firstly at an amazing resort at the North tip of the island. Was great, as was the town a few km’s down the road. Then stayed for two nights at Georgetown - the main city on the island. Thought it was an absolute hole to be honest. Stinky, dirty, cramming with people, nothing amazing to see. The tourist sites were crammed and desperation of the locals to make a buck from you was depressing. Stayed at Campbell House hotel which was a diamond in the rough. Beautiful hotel.

Then we went to KL for 4 nights. Felt like the city offered nothing. Just shopping malls and concrete. Literally had a tough time even finding Malaysian food to eat as everything there is to cater for the huge throng of Western, Chinese and Japanese tourists.

Still it was a very relaxing trip and nice to thaw out from the cold.
Have travelled to KL many times for work and leisure and love it but it’s definitely hard work if you aren’t familiar with the place. A lot of concrete and malls which don’t interest me in the slightest and definitely a heap of food outlets catering for tourists but still plenty of great local hangouts and sensational Malay food.
I’ve found with most people they either love KL or hate it with not much in between

Nuremberg is quite underwhelming and full of unfriendly people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back