Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2022 - Tsatas, Hayes, Davey x2, Munkara & Montgomerie

Who should we take with Pick 4? (Pick 2)

• Tsatas

Votes: 60 27.9%
  • Humphrey

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Phillipou

Votes: 109 50.7%
  • Clark

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Quick links: Player Contract Status | Trade & Free Agency 2022 | JHA Father/Son and NGA | Adrian Dodoro

#24.png

0093895D-8D9D-4EFD-93DB-32FA70C2A596.jpeg

Last edited:
May 8, 2007
Eddie Betts Pocket
AFL Club
Adelaide
So are you going to elaborate, or?

Think he's just referring to this;

The other thing I was told about him, I wasn't sure If I should share, but I think it's relevant...

His communication and english language skills are a long long way off.

I can't say I know what sort of standard of English a number of other indigenous recruits from 'very remote locations' have had in the past (Liam Jurrah comes to mind as someone plucked from remote/obscurity), but Anthony will no doubt face a learning curve far far steeper than most other draftees.

With Essendon's long and storied history with Indigenous players, I'm hopeful that they can provide the best possible environment to nurture and maintain his identity and culture, whilst helping him to forge an AFL career which he no doubt has the talent to do.

I think his chances of survival at the crows would be zero unfortunately. We just aren't that sort of club :(

So the obvious analogue with Munkara based on the above is the gold standard of Anthony’s, McDonald-Tipungwuti.

Getting Walla on a list was a 5 year endeavour if I’m not mistaken through moving to VIC, playing as an overager with Gippy, then Essendon VFL, then a setback of Ben Hudson essentially intentionally breaking (can’t remember the severity) his leg with a dive that was about a month late that wiped out half of I think 2013.

Then when we did get him onto the list we played him in the back half to get his motor going.

He met every KPI and rose to every challenge, I’m not saying Munkara can’t do the same but he represents a significant, significant investment if anyone drafts him now as an 18 year old.

He would have to have essentially the best underage year we’ve ever seen from here.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I think last night highlighted the need for Sheezel. Goal kickers and effective inside 50 kickers are of the greatest need as the connection between centre wing and the forward line isn’t up to scratch.

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
We could conceivably finish bottom 2
you would take the opportunity to get into ashcrofts ear about staying in Melbourne surely?
north and bombers would choose between wardlaw and Ashcroft
‘if we acquired Ashcroft I would trade parish and try and strengthen our draft hand this year or next
it would also save us the difficult decision of over paying parish
ashcroft could well be a better version of parish anyway and wardlaw is a gun

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
I think last night highlighted the need for Sheezel. Goal kickers and effective inside 50 kickers are of the greatest need as the connection between centre wing and the forward line isn’t up to scratch.
I still want Phillipou at 3.

A 192cm inside mid with athleticism that can mark forward of centre is something we have needed for a long time.

eDPS would be the most knowledgeable on this, but I believe the type of player you are talking about is basically Alwyn Davey Jr and possibly Jayden as well.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
A 192cm inside mid with athleticism that can mark forward of centre is something we have needed for a long time.
Phillipou isn’t really a pure inside mid though he is more likely to play the same role that we have for Langford. My best case scenario is that he can be like McCluggage or Pendlebury as a stoppage midfielder but still feel his best attributes have come to the fold when not at stoppages.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Phillipou isn’t really a pure inside mid though he is more likely to play the same role that we have for Langford. My best case scenario is that he can be like McCluggage or Pendlebury as a stoppage midfielder but still feel his best attributes have come to the fold when not at stoppages.
I will defer to you then, as I wouldnt watch as much junior football as you do but I thought I read he is playing more inside midfielder recently? At least in the Allies vs SA game?

I could be mistaken, or relying on faulty info though.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I will defer to you then, as I wouldnt watch as much junior football as you do but I thought I read he is playing more inside midfielder recently? At least in the Allies vs SA game?

I could be mistaken, or relying on faulty info though.
He leaned inside and outside but yeah his best moments in the game didn’t really come from strong contested or clearance work it was class and marking ability.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
i have been very buoyant about matteus for a fair while.
my only concern with him on the weekend we’re some fumbles below knees under pressure
his attributes were on display last weekend
i really like Aaron cadman as well and if they feel Eyre, brand and Baldwin are long shots to make it I would not be adverse to picking him
as a late pick/ rookie selection I reckon Hugh bond is an inside midfielder who might suit- hard as a cats head
Saw you're interest in Cadman. I don't get to see these junior games but having read the power rankings I'm interested to know why you'd go past Scully for Cadman instead, if we're looking at forwards.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Pick 3 is just whoevers best, dont muck around with that pick

Pick 21 is crucial these days. Clubs are starting to get very good in the 20-30 range and all list id say have a very similar top 30 these days. This pick will be crucial to future success

Get me a Connor Mcdonald and ill be happy

Id say the first will be a mid/fwd type

The pick 21 probably leans towards a mid/HBF type or even genuine half back

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Pick 3 is just whoevers best, dont muck around with that pick

Pick 21 is crucial these days. Clubs are starting to get very good in the 20-30 range and all list id say have a very similar top 30 these days. This pick will be crucial to future success

Get me a Connor Mcdonald and ill be happy

Id say the first will be a mid/fwd type

The pick 21 probably leans towards a mid/HBF type or even genuine half back
First pick has to be a creative forward type who can roll through the midfield. Sheezel for me

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
Saw you're interest in Cadman. I don't get to see these junior games but having read the power rankings I'm interested to know why you'd go past Scully for Cadman instead, if we're looking at forwards.
cadman is an endurance beast who works really hard up and down the ground all day
most of his marking comes on the lead but occasionally takes a nice mark in a pack
has a nice left foot that is also effective in general play and he competes
i would hope in time when his body develops and with his athleticism he can turn into a curnow type
scully is a tall who has much further to go athletically
too often I have seen him pushed out of the way and too often not hold his marks
he is taller than cadman by almost 10cm but I think is going to take a lot of time and I am not sure he will make it
he will kick 6 today now!

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
cadman is an endurance beast who works really hard up and down the ground all day
most of his marking comes on the lead but occasionally takes a nice mark in a pack
i would hope in time when his body develops and with his athleticism he can turn into a curnow type
too often I have seen him pushed out of the way and too often not hold his marks
he is taller than cadman by almost 10cm but I think is going to take a lot of time and I am not sure he will make it
The number of times Scully has kicked big bags, and already being 200cm, was what caught my attention. I don't mind a lead - mark player at 200cm being a stay at home forward if we've got Jones who can work up and back. In time I'd hope Scully's athleticism would build, though I can see the advantage of having two forwards with the stamina to continually go up and back.

Harlequin Dream

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies
I think it will be very hard to pass on Mattaes.

I don't think he is an animal inside but he has all the attributes. Size, good acceleration, is clean below his knees, doesn't get rushed with disposal. His ability as a forward both gives him safety as a pick and additional upside.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
What is it about Scully that makes you wonder that Scully could slip?

Some have Tom as a top 10 prospect, other rankings as low as the 20's. Would be great to get a Sheezel at 2/3 and then Scully at 20/21 as an example

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
What is it about Scully that makes you wonder that Scully could slip?

Some have Tom as a top 10 prospect, other rankings as low as the 20's. Would be great to get a Sheezel at 2/3 and then Scully at 20/21 as an example
I just see lots of question marks on him.
to be fair I have only seen him play live once and I prefer to watch players live as you see so much more
the dream is to finish 2nd last and get one of wardlaw or ashcroft

I just see lots of question marks on him.
to be fair I have only seen him play live once and I prefer to watch players live as you see so much more
the dream is to finish 2nd last and get one of wardlaw or ashcroft
Surely Ashcroft will nominate for Brisbane?

bomberland33

Senior List
Feb 28, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Let’s tank our way to number two draft pick and trade our future 2nd for draft points this year

1st Rd -Wardlaw or Sheezel (Ashcroft to go pick one)
2nd Rd - Best tall forward available
Then -
Alwyn Davey, Munkara & Jayden Davey in any order depending on bids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back