Autopsy Round 15, 2022: Hawks mauled by Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to look at pushing CJ thru there too. The whole centre square game is about being able to run it these days and we don't have any.
I wonder why we haven't tried this? He's a contested beast and is one of the best endurance runners at club, and I think his decision making lets him down in defence. Id try him in there and keep Day at HBF for now.

I've thought about it. But North wouldn't do it. They’ll take him. Plus they'll get a PP at that pick anyway.
Would be madness if they didn't try and trade back and still get Lemmey/Busslinger. They have zero KPPs. Best we can hope for is there PP at say pick 11.
Comes down to quantity over quality. I prob wouldn't either. Id bank on Jhye Clark and pick 23 > Wardlaw.

I wonder why we haven't tried this? He's a contested beast and is one of the best endurance runners at club, and I think his decision making lets him down in defence. Id try him in there and keep Day at HBF for now.
You could tell early he didn't have his mojo in defence so was hoping we would redeploy him somewhere else. I want to see him forward too. Need to turn him into a utility. Will help to make us more unpredictable.

The midfield stinks and we haven't yet made a hard call on it. Personnel must change. Worps and Tom's lack of speed and agility stands out like dogs balls. These type of players don't cut it in today's game style. Jaegar had a bad one and was clearly not rights. He's had a few really good weeks before last night. He ok but the other two are major problems.

It just sucks having a loss like that and having Shiels and Howe in the side and not 2 x youngsters. Time to stamp some papers and debut some more new faces.

Yeah crazy town some of the selections to be honest .

Why Denver is not playing every week when we are undersized in the backline is extremely confusing .

Ned should have slaughtered those mid sized rucks the Dogs were using last night and our midfield should of been gaining an advantage all night instead we let Libba physically beat us up without anyone standing up.

Wardy has missed 6 weeks due to concussion. The moment he is right get him back in and play him.

If we keep seeing plodders while we are 4-10 then we are not moving forward at all.

We started off really well and Reeves was in control in the ruck. From the second quarter on, Sweet nullified Reeves and the Doggies increased their pressure. Our cleanness and skills fell away pretty quickly and we lacked a bit of hardness at the ball.
Our disposal efficiency, both by hand and foot dropped alarmingly, we were very poor in this area and continually gave up the ball.
We have to do better when under pressure.
We need to have a really good look at why our defence is so poor that only North and WC have had more kicked against them.
If Mitch gets our attacking game sorted this year, he needs to work on our defensive side next year.

Two would be great but I feel like I’m just being needy. 😂
one might actually be enough as it takes the onus off our older mids who aren't (and shouldn't be) our number one options going forward and immediately improves our depth to give more space to Newk etc.

we also desperately, desperately need an outside player who can consistently get 20-25 touches. I've really enjoyed Harry's year but he is nowhere near enough on his own, and unfortunately Howe/Shiels are not gonna cut it for much longer

one might actually be enough as it takes the onus off our older mids who aren't (and shouldn't be) our number one options going forward and immediately improves our depth to give more space to Newk etc.

we also desperately, desperately need an outside player who can consistently get 20-25 touches. I've really enjoyed Harry's year but he is nowhere near enough on his own, and unfortunately Howe/Shiels are not gonna cut it for much longer

Yep season and a half since Izzy and still not closer to settling the wings. Maybe this is the free agency target?

Yep season and a half since Izzy and still not closer to settling the wings. Maybe this is the free agency target?
its why i want to go hard at Amon or Brayshaw

i think people are a bit too worried about the players as individuals (B graders oh no! The humanity!) and not the impact on team structure as a whole

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Games like this are just invaluable to our learning process about how we want to and need to play in the future. Nothing to get upset about.

As supporters, we really need to look at our best 22 and understand there are maybe between 3-6 players that aren’t going to get any better than what we’ve already seen and look for their next replacements. That’s really when we will start to become a really good side.

Our midfield is deplorable.
The coaching of our midfield is just as poor.
Countless times last night, Dogs players waltzed out the middle with little or no pressure.
Bont & Libba would get the ball and no one was standing or pressuring on their left (left footers)….so they continually wheeled around and kicked freely into 50.
Not knowing your opponent and how they play is ‘Midfield 101’
Some midfielders didn’t even stand next to an opposition player !?
Where is the coaching/teaching ?!
Do they even talk to the Lamp post in Reeves ?!
There is a massive disconnect at centre bounces.
Even at boundary throw ins , players are standing around like browns cows.
How are defenders meant to do their job effectively when there’s no pressure up the field.

Players I am very worried about - Kosi ; tOM ; Howe ; Impey ; Shiels.

Hardwick - beast (kept Cody quiet)
Blanck - solid
Scrim - very good
Lewis - huge
Worpel - thought he was serviceable (tried his guts out)

Going to be a long 7 weeks methinks

Thought we lacked footy IQ more than talent or effort in the third quarter.
2nd quarter was more poor finishing.

Melbourne considered a year to learn the game plan, the second year to implement then the third to get results.
You can learn from last nights game. Playing more kids and losing by 75-100 points, no one learns anything and no upside.

Looking for some positive performances at Box Hill today.

Lewis could be the best KPF in the game in a year or two and is probably on form in that conversation right now. He is moving around like a boss at the moment. He is confident and hungry and knows he's the man. It's been a delight to see him flourish this season. If only he had a midfield.

Blanck was terrific. All their forwards had moments but also silver service compared to what ours got. He defended well and looked good with the ball. Keep him in and get DGB in too. There is the base to work around.

No issue with Sicily. He's matured a lot and there was nothing over the top tonight, just a bit of frustration. The guy is a star but he'll have the odd moment. 100% understandable the way we were umpired last night and especially in light of the other s**t show the umps ducked us over with against the Bulldogs at the G a few years ago.
Absolutely. Probably wasn't fair to single him out given that he's been our best performer all year.

btw, when was the announcement made that O'Meara was back as acting captain? It felt like Sicily was growing into that role.

Absolutely. Probably wasn't fair to single him out given that he's been our best performer all year.

btw, when was the announcement made that O'Meara was back as acting captain? It felt like Sicily was growing into that role.

I have been off socials quite a bit lately with work demands and exhaustion lol...so haven't been abreast of all that much news.

All I can say is that I believe Sicily was afforded the role for a period of 4 weeks (I believe) and I guess then it has been rotated back to JOM again?

Sammy in his presser and also Moore in an interview referred to us not being “tough” enough. Watching on TV, it did seem that way to me. A few times this year when opposition really steps up with physicality around the footy and gets in our faces a little bit, some of the boys don’t always match it. I will refrain from potting individual midfield leaders, but I feel some of those older guys through the middle don’t respond strong enough to that. Maybe I’m being abit harsh, but that’s just what it seems to me.

Absolutely rapt with Blanck’s debut, and I’m still liking what I see from Butler in his first handful of senior games. Reeves also doing well for a ruckman at his tender age. A lot to like about our youth.

Ball movement and attacking style fantastic when the game is on our terms. Dealing with momentum swings and more pressure through the middle something we just not capable of handling at moment.

Ups and downs are both part of the journey.

Go Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back