• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Next Waiting

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Our Club Song: I waver between tolerating and loathing it. The first few lines don't build to anything substantial and by the time you get to Bulldogs fight I've lost interest. Very unsatisfying after a decent win. Whatever history is bound to it, it isn't enough.

Pretty crap song.

As I posted elsewhere it’s just that we have become conditioned to feel warmth, loyalty and jump up and down with excitement and go Woof! whenever we hear it.

Pavlov’s Dogs.

I think we need to be agile. I mean what did Liverpool sing between 1892 and the 1965 FA Cup final (73 years).

The lyrics in the song are much better than the original one. All the other teams songs talk about winning flags and kicking the oppositions arse in. In our original song it had the line "We will come out smiling if we win or lose." As a kid I remember saying to my Dad " Why would they smile if they lose for? They should come out feeling really angry."

I'm no musician, but the first 4 lines end on the downward not the upward (not counting the McDonalds jingoesque DADA DADADA DA intro). It all seems so anti-climactic after inflicting a humiliating defeat on a deserving or reviled opposition). You just want to get into it and hammer it home but no....down we go.
I think Danny from Droop Street might actually have written this song

Why waver past loathing ? It's terrible. A ridiculous, tuneless old British Music Hall ditty parodying the 9th Century Royal Navy. All the DAdadas and Whooooos only make it worse. Abandon the "We are the boys from ..." format and adopt and musical, whimisical, recognisable tune and song that reflects upon the club and supporters as in
(a)
Option A: Love it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's my modest contribution ...

Father-Sons of the West​
What once was old is new​
They'll come out fathering​
To create a brand new crew​
Hunter! Libba! Johnno! Croft!​
Darcy! Cordy! West!​
You can't beat the boys from the bullsprog breed​
They're the genes of the mighty west!​

Here's my modest contribution ...

Father-Sons of the West​
What once was old is new​
They'll come out fathering​
To create a brand new crew​
Hunter! Libba! Johnno! Croft!​
Darcy! Cordy! West!​
You can't beat the boys from the bullsprog breed​
They're the genes of the mighty west!​
Feel like we need a nod to Scrags red, white and blue poignancy concerns in there

Is there a place for

Who needs rub downs and ice baths
At the home of red white blue
Just jump in the car and race off home
For a good old fashioned sc..w

Make it happen!

These guys might be able to:

1648432132080-png.1356981

Been thinking of this question for some time now
Sadly it does seem a little flat and uninspiring
Maybe a rehash, keep the best bits

It’s terrible. A ridiculous, tuneless old British music hall seaman’s ditty parodying the 19th Century Royal Navy. All the da da das and Whooooos only make it worse. The Club should abandon the "We are the boys from ..." format and adopt a musical, whimisical, recognisable tune and song that reflects upon the club and supporters as in

(a) You’ll never walk alone Liverpool. Gerry and the Pacemakers version. Gerry Marsden a life-long supporter. There’s the Liverpool connection and the lyrics reflect quiet defiance.

(b) Bubbles West Ham. Although Broadway in origin, “Bubbles” became a British music halls favorite in the 1920s. Just how or why it was adopted by the East End West Ham supporters remains a mystery. Sung by the Crowd at Upton Park, it’s catching;

(c) Sunshine on Leith Hibernian. The Proclaimers, the Reid twins, are lifelong Hibs supporters and Easter Road, Leith is the home ground. A few months after Fitzroy tried to take over Footscray, in 1990, the Edinburgh cross town rival, Heart of Midlothian (“Hearts”) tried the same and Hibs were, similarly, saved by the grass roots “Hands off Hibs” Campaign. Sunshine on Leith was an anthem of the campaign. Just quietly, if you want a real tear jerker experience, watch the film Sunshine on Leith.

Mike Brady's confected further parody of the Club song was a joke and the fightback didn't "Save old Footscray's name" anyway. What about Ernie Sigley’s version of I did it my way as a starter ?

Last edited:
Back