Moved Thread Who was/is the better player. Gary Ablett jnr or Dustin Martin?

Who's the better player Gary jnr or Dusty?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So.

Again I will ask: why should the opinion of a public who would all take a $1 million pay increase, dictate the lifestyle and financial capability of someone for the 60 years after they retire?
I never said it did.

Do you think maybe the extra money is coming in handy now that he has a son with a degenerative disease that needs virtual round the clock care and requires total dependence?
I guess so. I dunno what the costs are tbh, I'd need to see the invoices.

Do you think it’s maybe helping his brother who couldn’t handle the spotlight of professional footy for long enough to make a decent living from it?
No, I do not. Garry really does strike me as a bit of a money-hungry piggyman, "tight-arse" some might say.

I dunno if he'd even want to help Nathan out, Nathan woulda finished his career at Geelong with more money than most 20 somethings he coulda set himself up if he wanted, done an apprenticeship or whatever. It's not like he couldn't work after he finished playing footy.

His old man who hasn’t said a word in 25 years much less picked up an endorsement?
No idea.

Do you reckon he just might be sitting there occasionally going ‘well I did the right thing by my family and the people who depend on me. But BOY I wish I had the approval of the hypocrites in the AFL fan base.’
You tell me- you're the one who can read his mind?

Obviously he had some regrets though. He begged GCS for a trade home to spend more time with his sick (and now sadly deceased) sister. I think part of him certainly would have liked to have competed for, and won, more premierships. But he didn't because he was a money-hungry piggyman.

Dont join the Richmond nuffs and be the first Geelong nuff.

Dusty was the standout player of 2017.
I disagree.

Martin: 29.76 dpg 160 clearances, 363 Contested poss, 37 goals, 88 tackles, 29 GA, 36 bv and 124 clangers

Danger: 29.91 dpg 172 clearances, 430 contested poss, 45 goals, 141 tackles, 20 GA, 33 bv and 106 clangers.

And if not for the rort where the umpires didn't given him a single vote for the game against Collingwood where he was clearly BOG he'd be a two time Brownlow medalist.

So think again.

I disagree.

Martin: 29.76 dpg 160 clearances, 363 Contested poss, 37 goals, 88 tackles, 29 GA, 36 bv and 124 clangers

Danger: 29.91 dpg 172 clearances, 430 contested poss, 45 goals, 141 tackles, 20 GA, 33 bv and 106 clangers.

And if not for the rort where the umpires didn't given him a single vote for the game against Collingwood where he was clearly BOG he'd be a two time Brownlow medalist.

So think again.

If you ignore influence on games then yes. Have a sook.

I disagree.

So think again.
Oh please

Dusty was epic in 2017, it was his one great year

Ablett had a much better career but few players have had a single year as good as Dusty's in 2017

Why is it for a pattern for the cats to always have worse finals performances than their H&A performances, this is even true for their players including both Abbletts as well. I swear to god it must be GMHBA. It’s literally a trait for the club in every aspect, really weird.

As the Brownlow is decided over 22 home and away games and Danger’s team finished above Martin’s on the ladder, are we to assume that Geelong’s 2nd position owed nothing to Dangerfield but Richmond’s 3rd position owed everything to Martin?

Maybe Dusty carried the team to more wins than danger similarly to GAJ at the Suns. Idk seems pretty legit to me. More BOGs enough said.

Why is it for a pattern for the cats to always have worse finals performances than their H&A performances, this is even true for their players including both Abbletts as well. I swear to god it must be GMHBA. It’s literally a trait for the club in every aspect, really weird.

Except it’s not.

You’ve literally been shown in this thread that Ablett’s final numbers 07-11 were more or less identical to his home and away numbers. Despite the fact that every final he plays is against above average opposition.

Making something up and palming it off as fact doesn’t make you right.

By playing better in finals than in home and away football, do the likes of Enright, Bartel, Chapman and Johnson also have to answer this question about why, despite being better in finals, they were worse in finals? How does that work, exactly?
Brad Ottens, I wonder what the reason was behind his poor finals performances, where he played better than in home and away football despite, judging by your analysis, playing worse?

Why is it that Bachar Houli was such a s**t finals player?

That’s basically the equivalent of what you’re doing.

Oh please

Dusty was epic in 2017, it was his one great year

Ablett had a much better career but few players have had a single year as good as Dusty's in 2017
Nope it's one of those ones where if you keep repeating it it must be true.

Dangers 2017 was better than Dusty's. The stats show that.

Ablett's best 4 seasons are better than both.

Ablett Snr's best season is a level above again.

Maybe Dusty carried the team to more wins than danger similarly to GAJ at the Suns. Idk seems pretty legit to me. More BOGs enough said.

There’s in important word there. ‘Maybe.’

You told us that Ablett’s footy at the Suns was irrelevant though because he was surrounded by nuffies. Now you’re telling us that he carried them to their wins?

Except it’s not.

You’ve literally been shown in this thread that Ablett’s final numbers 07-11 were more or less identical to his home and away numbers. Despite the fact that every final he plays is against above average opposition.

Making something up and palming it off as fact doesn’t make you right.

By playing better in finals than in home and away football, do the likes of Enright, Bartel, Chapman and Johnson also have to answer this question about why, despite being better in finals, they were worse in finals? How does that work, exactly?
Brad Ottens, I wonder what the reason was behind his poor finals performances, where he played better than in home and away football despite, judging by your analysis, playing worse?

Why is it that Bachar Houli was such a s**t finals player?

That’s basically the equivalent of what you’re doing.

The vast minority of the time it is. I obviously didn’t mean every game silly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s in important word there. ‘Maybe.’

You told us that Ablett’s footy at the Suns was irrelevant though because he was surrounded by nuffies. Now you’re telling us that he carried them to their wins?

The word maybe was used in a rhetorical way. It’s obvious Dusty had more influence on games which is why he won the Brownlow. If you want awards for raw stats refer to the AA award.

I’m not disputing GAJ carried them to more wins, the standard 25 year old AFL player would of at the Suns too.

The vast minority of the time it is. I obviously didn’t mean every game silly.

From 07-2011 we won 12 out of 15 finals matches.

How many of our players, considering we almost exclusively played those games against top 4 opposition (from memory we played 13 of them against top 4 sides) how much ‘worse’ can most of our players have been, exactly?

Yes our recent sides have been awful in finals. That’s been addressed ad nauseum in other threads. The generation prior however was a fantastic finals outfit.

The word maybe was used in a rhetorical way. It’s obvious Dusty had more influence on games which is why he won the Brownlow. If you want awards for raw stats refer to the AA award.

I’m not disputing GAJ carried them to more wins, the standard 25 year old AFL player would of at the Suns too.

Did he? Why couldn’t he exert that influence enough for his side to finish above Dangerfield’s?
Standard 25 year old afl players carry rookie sides to wins? Is that right?

That’s an interesting notion.

How many standard 25 year olds did richmond have carrying them solo to victories when they were s**t?

Carlton have had lots of average 25 year olds over the last 17 years. I don’t recall a lot of them carrying them to repeated victories.

This indeed is an interesting turn of events.

From 07-2011 we won 12 out of 15 finals matches.

How many of our players, considering we almost exclusively played those games against top 4 opposition (from memory we played 13 of them against top 4 sides) how much ‘worse’ can most of our players have been, exactly?

Yes our recent sides have been awful in finals. That’s been addressed ad nauseum in other threads. The generation prior however was a fantastic finals outfit.

I’m referring to your whole clubs history. Apart from 2007-2011 it’s not been really successful at all compared to the bigger clubs.

Did he? Why couldn’t he exert that influence enough for his side to finish above Dangerfield’s?
Standard 25 year old afl players carry rookie sides to wins? Is that right?

That’s an interesting notion.

How many standard 25 year olds did richmond have carrying them solo to victories when they were s**t?

Carlton have had lots of average 25 year olds over the last 17 years. I don’t recall a lot of them carrying them to repeated victories.

This indeed is an interesting turn of events.

Maybe Richmonds list excluding dusty was worse than cats list excluding danger. You guys usually get more AAs than everybody else. Everybody keeps saying No Dusty No Tigers, don’t here that about Danger.

I’m referring to your whole clubs history. Apart from 2007-2011 it’s not been really successful at all compared to the bigger clubs.

Our first 13 finals matches yielded a record of 3-10
Our last 21 have yielded a record of 7-14

In between times over the space of 82 years we went at bang on 50 per cent.

I don’t think your statement holds the sort of gravitas you think it does.

I’m also not certain that things like a second half meltdown in a final in 2019 has the sort of relativity to a game on 1926 that you think it does.

I disagree.

So think again.
Fair enough.

A danger v dusty thread much more appropriate.

Dangers finals performances in 16 and 17 were great too.

It is only Richmond nuffs who try and elevate Dusty to gaz Jnr levels, and he is simply not there.

Back