Collingwood and Richmond - who has the greater supporter base

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a reminder: Terms like “Minnowmond”, “Shrinkingwood”, “Dwindlewood” and the like belong on the bay, not the main board. Same goes for referring to either team as a minnow, when clearly neither fits that description.

If you see stuff like this, don’t respond with more of it. Click ‘report’ so we can deal with it.

Facts are facts!!! Numbers don’t lie

Yeah see this is why pies supporters don’t know what they are talking about. Basic maths you learn in high school say you don’t look at raw numbers on there own, you have to put them in context to tell the whole story.

It proves how fair-weather their fans are.
Hang on, I actually don't think Richmond are a bigger club than Collingwood in many senses, but you can't have it both ways. You can't have posters using the "poor weather" excuse for why so many Pies fans stayed away from a cutthroat final, yet then accuse other supporters of being fair-weather. I went to both of those finals, and let me tell you the atmosphere at both was very different.

Whichever is the bigger club - and I don't even really care that much, just being in Collingwood's ballpark is a compliment in this respect and makes Richmond a massive organisation - people need to get their heads together and get their story straight.

Every club has fair-weather fans. Every club has bandwagon fans. If you deny it of your own club you're kidding yourself.

Even the mighty Eagles, who are a corporate juggernaut and have to refuse entry to many supporters on home games (do they even allow walk-ups when they're successful?), have conspicuously dwindling crowds this year when their team is struggling to be competitive onfield. And I thought they were pretty much bulletproof in this department.

FWIW, I highly suspect most supporters on Bigfooty are far from bandwagon, so taking potshots at them and their club about being "fair-weather" won't get much traction. We see it at every club.

Fact is, Richmond have had the most members over a sustained period of 6 years now. It spiked in 2018 after a flag (up 38%), but so did the Pies in 2011 (up 48%). Even in a losing grand final years the Pies had a spike (up 18%) in 2018. Does this make "Richmond bigger than Collingwood"? Probably not - there's a host of other metrics possibly more valid. And like I said, merely being in the conversation with the Pies (and the Blues, and the Bombers and Eagles) is a great achievement - they're an immense organisation.

How much s**t have Essendon fans put up with for two decades ? This Saturday v sydney will be interesting , crowd wise. Actual game ? Another belting.
Essendon’s floor attendance is arguably the best of the big Victorian clubs, if we put aside the year the players were banned (2016).

Essendon crowds at the MCG always draw much better than if held at Marvel Stadium. Mainly due to its high number of AFL / MCC members as well as the fact many Essendon supporters avoid Marvel and only go to games at the G. My brother is taking his kids to their first game of the year next week because it’s in a kid friendly time slot and it’s at the G.

Against all of this, Essendon supporters long ago gave up on the year and are staying home to watch games. Therefore, logic says a crowd somewhere between 30-40,000 is likely.

If people stupidly think like you yeah. It was 1v2 and not pouring and freezing I’m pretty sure.

Lol two pies posters have destroyed this thread, I haven't been on it for a while such is their stupidity, but I had a chuckle with the pies crowd today. How can anyone question thurs night crowds is beyond me, but we surely can question weekend crowds.

So going by gopies logic Melb is bigger than the pies because they got 37K on a thurs night and Pies got 30K against GWS on Sun arvo.
Also, let's not forget the pies 25K V eagles on a Sat arvo plus 28K V GC at the G
Even Carlton got more with 35K V Freo at Marvel. So is Carlton bigger than Collingwood? going by gopies weekly crowd "whoever gets more" they are :rolleyes:
This is all just ridiculous every week, watching crowds. I had to chime in and have a bit of fun, but in all honesty, it's just petty.

Cats v tiges 60K, cats home game, in their top 20 biggest ever 'home attendance'. A big tiger turnout as the away team.
Cats V Pies 53K

Last edited:
Essendon’s floor attendance is arguably the best of the big Victorian clubs, if we put aside the year the players were banned (2016).

Essendon crowds at the MCG always draw much better than if held at Marvel Stadium. Mainly due to its high number of AFL / MCC members as well as the fact many Essendon supporters avoid Marvel and only go to games at the G. My brother is taking his kids to their first game of the year next week because it’s in a kid friendly time slot and it’s at the G.

Against all of this, Essendon supporters long ago gave up on the year and are staying home to watch games. Therefore, logic says a crowd somewhere between 30-40,000 is likely.

Will the bombers ever leave marvel and go full-time at the G.

Will the bombers ever leave marvel and go full-time at the G.
No. The current executive are angling for another 1-2 of their Marvel games to be MCG games. Ie: The perennial fixturing of a home game against Hawthirn would be a thing of the past.

I personally wish we didn’t play any games at Marvel, I just don’t like the joint.

No. The current executive are angling for another 1-2 of their Marvel games to be MCG games. Ie: The perennial fixturing of a home game against Hawthirn would be a thing of the past.

I personally wish we didn’t play any games at Marvel, I just don’t like the joint.
Why does the club persist with home games Marvel?

I was watching something earlier youtube about great moments in the game last 30 years

It's amazing how far Essendon have fallen to where they are now

Night Of The Living Dead Horror GIF by filmeditor
And in news just in South of the Yarra , yes, I can report a 100k supporter base has forced us to close the third tier, more to follow.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And in news just in South of the Yarra , yes, I can report a 100k supporter base has forced us to close the third tier, more to follow.......

WOW they certainly turn up in numbers those Tigers fans. The most fickle ‘fan’ base in the country. Perhaps we need to build a smaller stadium for the Tigers. windyhill

Btw, I did not see you post here when we got 40K against west coast at the G two weeks ago or 60K v cats but here you're trying to stir the pot for Richmond playing an away game at marvel against the 18th team :drunk:. Dont be that person makes you come across as a salty tool.

Btw, I did not see you post here when we got 40K against west coast at the G two weeks ago or 60K v cats but here you're trying to stir the pot for Richmond playing an away game at marvel against the 18th team :drunk:. Dont be that person makes you come across as a salty tool.

Come back to me when you can achieve one crowd of 75,000 plus, just one. Until then don’t bother wasting my time.

22,000 v north compared to 45,000 a week ago when Collingwood played north.

Reality check for Richmond that they are not the biggest club in Victoria. Hey with Carlton drawing 68,000 v Geelong Carlton have no taken over Richmond as the 2nd biggest Victorian club behind Collingwood. Next year Collingwood and Carlton will have more members then Richmond and maybe even Essendon if they start the season off well!!

Richmond easily the most fickle fan base in the afl.

Come back to me when you can achieve one crowd of 75,000 plus, just one. Until then don’t bother wasting my time.

Numnuts wasting your time :rolleyes:you and gopies the worst of the worst on these boards. What are you like 60-70 years old, your posting is soo old in meaning
Pies got 25K v eagles bahahaha
28K v Suns and 30K v GWS

Gopies was carrying on about pies getting 16K V suns at Metricon their biggest crowd, then a week later the tigers rolled into town and got 18K, sun's biggest crowd of the year.

Can you please sell out a stadium in finals, gws 72K and 77K thats cute and port lmfaoooooo
Elimination FinalSat 7 Sep 7:45pmPowerMCG
51722​

Last edited:
22,000 v north compared to 45,000 a week ago when Collingwood played north.

Reality check for Richmond that they are not the biggest club in Victoria. Hey with Carlton drawing 68,000 v Geelong Carlton have no taken over Richmond as the 2nd biggest Victorian club behind Collingwood. Next year Collingwood and Carlton will have more members then Richmond and maybe even Essendon if they start the season off well!!

Richmond easily the most fickle fan base in the afl.

Lol another clueless poster but i know most say that about you so nothing new.

Compare what? It's not our home ground nor our home game, a real comparison both home games = Pies v eagles 25K. Tigers v eagles 40K

Tiges V cats 60K "away game for us" and pies 53K lol lol lol
Pies bigger than Richmond in victoria, lmfaooo fill a stadium in finals that shows how big a supporter base really is and you couldn't even do that against minnows. Last 11 finals at the G we have over 90K+ crowds, the only club to do it twice, pies did it once needed the GF replay of 2010 :D

What club has the biggest attendance in a home & away game against an interstate team in the AFL, quickly call a friend, call Eddie the answer is RICHMOND v Lions 77K

Pies will have more members than Richmond turn it up, no one in their right mind will believe that nonsense. Why? you won a flag and played in 4 GF's between 2010-2018 and still couldn't get past 85K

Never heard Richmond being fickle but we sure have heard the pies supporters dropping of like flies when they start losing but coming back when they win. That's the TRUE definition of fickle.

Last edited:
Lol another clueless poster but i know most say that about you so nothing new.

Compare what? It's not our home ground nor our home game, a real comparison both home games = Pies v eagles 25K. Tigers v eagles 40K

Tiges V cats 60K "away game for us" and pies 53K lol lol lol
Pies bigger than Richmond in victoria, lmfaooo fill a stadium in finals that shows how big a supporter base really is and you couldn't even do that against minnows. Last 11 finals at the G we have over 90K+ crowds, the only club to do it twice, pies did it once needed the GF replay of 2010 :D

What club has the biggest attendance against an interstate team in the AFL, call a friend, quickly call Eddie the answer is RICHMOND v Lions 77K

Pies will have more members than Richmond turn it up, no one in their right mind will believe that nonsense. Why? you won a flag and played in 4 GF's between 2010-2018 and still couldn't get past 85K

Never heard Richmond being fickle but we sure have heard the pies supporters dropping of like flies when they start losing but coming back when they win. That's the TRUE definition of fickle.
Richmond west coast round 18 1993 princes park 6,088 fans.

Collingwood actually have 90,000 members now. Richmond are no way near as big as Collingwood around Australia. Look at social media. Hey Collingwood are 9.2 million bigger then Richmond as per total home and away attendance’s.

Richmond are now minnows. Won’t be long till they start selling home games to cairns to make a $$. Do you remember 1990 and save our skins?

Collingwood has never ever had to sell home games inter state. Collingwood have drawn over 1 million people through the gates whilst missing the finals in 1995, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 20014, 20015, 2016 and 2017 that is 9 times (most of any club) compared to Richmond only once in 1998 and they finished 9th that year whilst Collingwood especially from 1998 to 2000 were bottom 4 club.

Collingwood has the most loyal die hard supporters in Victoria only Essendon comes close. Richmond are by far the worst.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back