MRP / Trib. Tom Stewart - Result 4 week match suspension

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I don’t think there are other incidences of which you can compare this? This is an action which you just don’t see in the modern day AFL. 4 at a minimum, the AFL should be pushing for more.
there are worse incidences. Jeremy cameron on andrews a few years ago was worse. Cameron got 5 weeks. And then there was gaffs punch which was a lot worse. It got 8 weeks.

3-4 weeks. But the media is baying for blood because well richmond.

Oct 20, 2007
Perf
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
New York Jets, Toronto Raptors
3-4 weeks. But the media is baying for blood because well richmond.

Oh come on. Wouldn’t matter which player for which team this happened to, it would be the biggest story in football.

Both incidents you cited happened in 2018. So basically this is the worst act we have seen on a football field in 4 years.

Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
Kade Chandler got 2 weeks for a poorly executed sling tackle then this should be three weeks.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Chris Scott already has in the post match press conference

Oh is that what that was about?

I thought he was campaigning for his OAM…

609D83E1-FDF6-4FBE-890D-178906B0CB3E.jpeg

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Former Richmond player Emmitt Dunne sat on the tribunal for 20 years and then joined the Richmond board in 2017.

I am sure you were fine with him making decisions on suspensions for 20 years.

There is no such thing as a person in footy who isn’t conflicted in some way, shape or form.

You asked me why Brad Scott should have no part. I give you a perfectly legitimate reason. Then you start telling me what I must think about an entirely different situation.

For the record I think all people in this process who have any apparent conflict of interest should remove themselves from the process. It is not sound to not do so for all sorts of reasons, including in this case the way Brad Scott is perceived.

His twin brother is current Geelong coach. Any decision Brad makes that can be seen in any way as favouring Geelong in this matter runs the risk of people seeing it as biased decision making in favour of his twin brother. Why would you not want him to remove himself from the process? Surely you would want a fair decision no more no less and no possible perception of bias?

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Do they usually grade these as intentional? I thought they normally cop a careless grading.

The Ben Long one against Darcy a few years ago jumps to mind, and it seems to have been graded severe impact and careless, getting three weeks at the tribunal.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
What are you on about? Prestia was a mess. No way was he getting up before a ten count.
And if you are knocked out you arent up at all. He watched the game on the side lines. You guys didnt even call a stretcher. He wasnt sent immediately to hospital.

steve johnson got cleaned up in a similar incident where a player ran past the ball about 8 years ago and hit him flush in the head and he was straight off to hospital. Missed a couple of games. The crows player didnt even get a week cos elbow wasnt raised. Neither was stewarts.

strwart should get multiple weeks. 3-4 sounds right. But lets not try to make out this was the worst snipe of all time.
Andrew Gaff did as well
andrew gaff punched a kid and broke his jaw. Its not comparable.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Scott responded respectfully.
So did Stewart.

Actions speak louder than words though so I’d expect them to accept the penalty with dignity and not try to defend the actions or play the good bloke card, and take it on the chin. I hope so.

Let’s see how it plays out.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And if you are knocked out you arent up at all. He watched the game on the side lines. You guys didnt even call a stretcher. He wasnt sent immediately to hospital.

steve johnson got cleaned up in a similar incident where a player ran past the ball about 8 years ago and hit him flush in the head and he was straight off to hospital. Missed a couple of games. The crows player didnt even get a week cos elbow wasnt raised. Neither was stewarts.

strwart should get multiple weeks. 3-4 sounds right. But lets not try to make out this was the worse snipe of all time.

andrew gaff punched a kid and broke his jaw. Its not comparable.
Knocked out doesn't mean what you think it means.

The impact was clearly severe, intentional and high which means the case goes to the tribunal and Stewart should get a 4+ week penalty if the guidelines are followed. I don't think it was the worst strike of all time at all. But if the guidelines are followed he will be out for quite a while.

Don't have a problem with what Stewart did, the game is played at high speed, with players coming at each other from 360 degrees and collisions like this happen from time to time. Stewart didn't go in swinging an arm. He tucked his arm in and made sure Prestia didn't get an easy knock on. I've seen Pickett in recent times deliver similar types of bumps and he, like Stewart will be, was rubbed out for making high contact. The difference is that Pickett didn't KO the opponent. I can understand the angst among my fellow Tigers as nobody likes to see our players getting hurt in circumstances like that, but it's the nature of the game that they play and tonights game was played with the highest intensity I've seen in a H&A game for a long time. At the end of the day Stewart will cop his whack from the tribunal and you'd expect at minimum 3 weeks, possibly 4 will be the penalty.

Aug 19, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens, Golden State
Media will be baying for blood if it's less than 4

Manna from heaven for Whateley and co to pontificate about for the next few days at least)

Back