• This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Cutting the numbers of staffers available to independents from four down to one each is just petty and plain dumb from Albanese.

Greens also say they've been told their staff number will stay same as 2019, despite going from 10 MPs to 16- i.e. same staff over more offices, an effective cut.

What purpose does it serve other than to alienate the very people whose support you will need over the next 3 years?

Maybe he’s not quite the master negotiator his supporters portrayed him as.

Maybe he’s not quite the master negotiator his supporters portrayed him as.
688D4524-EC28-478B-8110-DE486A6AF7DF.gif

Or the basis for horse trading ?
The Teals are disillusioned Libs, the Greens disillusioned ALP.
As in “vote for our policy and we will allocate you more staffers”? That will just backfire.
They (alp) are citing it as cost control. This would be more effective if they openly demonstrated how much staff had been cut from ALP electorate offices. And even then the government have benefit of party machine.
The optics are an attempt to reduce the ability of independents to do what they were elected to be.

This is a piss poor decision poorly communicated

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
As in “vote for our policy and we will allocate you more staffers”? That will just backfire.
They (alp) are citing it as cost control. This would be more effective if they openly demonstrated how much staff had been cut from ALP electorate offices. And even then the government have benefit of party machine.
The optics are an attempt to reduce the ability of independents to do what they were elected to be.

This is a piss poor decision poorly communicated
Not that rank.
Do we know what the arrangements for the Opposition are yet?

Couldn't really care less about the representatives themselves, but they represent citizens who deserve proper representation.

Or the basis for horse trading ?
The Teals are disillusioned Libs, the Greens disillusioned ALP.
Lol no its not that simple though i get your unable to understand that

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
I personally think Albo needs to back down swiftly and cleanly from this massive misstep.

He has enormous political capital in the bank right now.

He can use it to bullock through an unpopular, unwise decision, or he can spend a bit of it on showing some humility and common sense, and possibly emerging even stronger for it.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I personally think Albo needs to back down swiftly and cleanly from this massive misstep.

He can use it to bullock through an unpopular, unwise decision, or he can spend a bit of it on showing some humility and common sense, and possibly emerging even stronger for it.

Just do a deal with them and get it out of the media

Instead of 4 offer 2 with a review in 12 months time
Jesus H Christ, its not that difficult

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

It's especially stupid when he doesn't have control of the Senate and needs both the Greens and either Pocock or Lambie to get anything through. Pissing them all off immediately is unlikely to have any positive effects.

I had hoped Albo would have learned something from Rudd's open contempt for the Greens and how that cost Labor in pursuing a climate bill, but it seems he hasn't. This is an especially bad sign for the prospect of getting an emissions cut higher than 43% legislated, because if Albo won't play ball with the teals (let alone the Greens) on something as small as staffers, what hope is there of him negotiating in good faith for a higher emissions cut, rather than saying "my way or the highway" like Rudd did?

If Albo agrees to the teals' policy of 60% reduction, or a figure close to it, it would make the teals look like they're actually effective representatives who deliver what they promise. The value of this is that it would effectively shut the Liberals out of those seats for at least another election or two, greatly reducing their chances of winning government. It's a good opportunity for Labor, but I'm not sure they have the foresight to recognise it and take it, especially given the contempt they're showing for all crossbenchers at the moment.

To be fair, Boris has very good reasons to support the right to abortion, having no doubt been responsible for many of them.
I wouldn't be surprised if Albo it's pro choice.
He's Catholic and he supports the religious discrimination bill and thinks people shouldn't have a right to the pronouns of their choice.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
It's especially stupid when he doesn't have control of the Senate and needs both the Greens and either Pocock or Lambie to get anything through. Pissing them all off immediately is unlikely to have any positive effects.

I had hoped Albo would have learned something from Rudd's open contempt for the Greens and how that cost Labor in pursuing a climate bill, but it seems he hasn't. This is an especially bad sign for the prospect of getting an emissions cut higher than 43% legislated, because if Albo won't play ball with the teals (let alone the Greens) on something as small as staffers, what hope is there of him negotiating in good faith for a higher emissions cut, rather than saying "my way or the highway" like Rudd did?

If Albo agrees to the teals' policy of 60% reduction, or a figure close to it, it would make the teals look like they're actually effective representatives who deliver what they promise. The value of this is that it would effectively shut the Liberals out of those seats for at least another election or two, greatly reducing their chances of winning government. It's a good opportunity for Labor, but I'm not sure they have the foresight to recognise it and take it, especially given the contempt they're showing for all crossbenchers at the moment.
Very good post.

If Albo is savvy, he'll keep the teals n Greens close, and that freezes out the turd Coalition.

If he doesn't, all those stereotypes about machine politics will probably turn out to be sadly true.

Very good post.

If Albo is savvy, he'll keep the teals n Greens close, and that freezes out the turd Coalition.

If he doesn't, all those stereotypes about machine politics will probably turn out to be sadly true.
You still don't think they are true?
How much more evidence do you need?

Watching Insiders this morning provided a little bit more info on staffing of for backbenchers.

Independents get at least one staff which was the norm until Turnbull gave Cathy McGowan 3, then Morrison gave Craig Kelly 4;).
Mark butler when in opposition had 2. Staffers weren't the same for everyone.

They are increasing resources in government library so they can do research there.

Not sure 4 is need maybe two? Across all backbenchers.

I don't have an issue with making it fairer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back