Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 5 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jackson Paine would be selected rd 1 2023 if we brought him in. Much stronger body than O'brien/Gardiner and we need another big boy down there.
We asked about him last year just before he re-signed with Brissie

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1. right now for this next window we need a ready to go KPD who will try and beat his opponent and contest marks. These are hard to find and of course everyone wants them because they are rare leaders and back themselves. We had Wood - TOB isn’t taking it on: We probably can not afford to chase a tier 1 KPD (we have Smith still to sign and some others) so a solid Tier 2 like Logue, Hamling, Petty, Payne etc

You had one of these, but traded him to us for a packet of chips.
Thanks for Lewy Young…. Has been a revelation
Why didn’t he work out for you?
🥜🥔

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1. right now for this next window we need a ready to go KPD who will try and beat his opponent and contest marks. These are hard to find and of course everyone wants them because they are rare leaders and back themselves. We had Wood - TOB isn’t taking it on: We probably can not afford to chase a tier 1 KPD (we have Smith still to sign and some others) so a solid Tier 2 like Logue, Hamling, Petty, Payne etc

You had one of these, but traded him to us for a packet of chips.
Thanks for Lewy Young…. Has been a revelation
Why didn’t he work out for you?
I was bewildered by our treatment as Lewis Young as well. I thought he showed quite a lot for us and you are correct, we would be chasing him if he was currently in the market. Bevo obviously did not rate him.

You must extremely bored this Sunday morning to be reading our trade thread? What brought you over here out of interest?

Zis is de Bulldogs. Vee don't do 'revelations' here.

bernie-kopell_274x208.jpg

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Rolling along the run home - we are hopefully getting some players back and will have some selection issues.

We get back from yesterday the following best 22 players

English
Hunter
Bruce
García
Smith
Maclean
Richards
Duryea

Still amazing we are still in the hunt with a third of our team out.

Also fringe players

Hannan
VDM
Wallis

Hopefully we scrape in the finals and look like this:

FF: Weightman Bruce JUH

HF: West Naughton JJ

C: Hunter Macrae Smith
R: English Bont Libba

HB: Dale Keath Richards

FB: Duryea/Crozier Gardner TOB

Int: Trelor, Daniel, Dunkley, Schache/McLean/García

This is a considerably better side but also let’s us see where we are weak.

The obvious issues are speed and contested defence.

For speed - we have JJ, Smith, Richards, Dale and Trelor with good speed but a high speed open space but runner is a gap - Hunter certainly has the gut running but nor so much speed.

For defence the problem is both form and cattle. Keath and TOB are currently out of form. Both are not taking as many marks or contacting on the defensive marking contests - put simply they are being beaten too easily by forward going for the ball. Williams and Cordy both apply this pressure but neither appears the answer.

Gardner is still developing but looks slightly better each game and is getting more responsibility - he just need to make decisions faster.

We have two needs in defence -

We could even go left field and chase MacDonald from Melbourne (old but he keeps being f’d around. He was a good KPD before he had to move forward. Melbournes forward talls are a rag tag bunch of b-graders who play to their system. But defensive talls of May, Lever, Petty, Tomlinson, Rivers and Joel Smith is stacked. They have a full two lines of AFL standard and would be hard to hold all of them. Petty would be a favourite but MacDonald for a couple of years might be very handy.

2. We have Darcy coming through who maybe a Ruck/KPD. In any event I would have two over 195 KPD kids - one in the draft - the best we can get.

second I would go for Mccasey - he has dropped off a cliff form wise but he never wanted to go to Adelaide and wanted to come here - I would be surprised if he didn’t play much better with us. risky of course but he was a good junior and has some of the traits we want.
McAsey is worth a punt imagine he would come pretty cheap as he hasn't done anything of note at the Crows

hatescaptcha

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
Truganina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
McAsey is worth a punt imagine he would come pretty cheap as he hasn't done anything of note at the Crows

They have been playing him in the forward line in the SANFL which you wouldn’t think is his best position.

Would bring him in and let him learn of Keath.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dogs5416

Rookie
Sep 29, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I find the criticism of TOB interesting. I think he has been a good addition to our backline. I compared his season stats with Keath and Gardy.
Keath/TOB/Gardy:
Poss- 12.4/12/10.8
Spoils- 3.2/5.8/7.7
Intercept poss- 2.3/2.5/1.2
Clangers- 1.4/1.6/2.7
Turnovers- 1.9/2.5/2.2
Happy with him just think Gardy, Keath and TOB need time to develop cohesion as both TOB and Keath have been injured this year. I think we need to draft 2 KPDs through the draft to develop in VFL.

second I would go for Mccasey - he has dropped off a cliff form wise but he never wanted to go to Adelaide and wanted to come here - I would be surprised if he didn’t play much better with us. risky of course but he was a good junior and has some of the traits we want.
If he was so averse to going to Adelaide, one would ask why he signed a two year contract extension.

I find the criticism of TOB interesting. I think he has been a good addition to our backline. I compared his season stats with Keath and Gardy.
Keath/TOB/Gardy:
Poss- 12.4/12/10.8
Spoils- 3.2/5.8/7.7
Intercept poss- 2.3/2.5/1.2
Clangers- 1.4/1.6/2.7
Turnovers- 1.9/2.5/2.2
Happy with him just think Gardy, Keath and TOB need time to develop cohesion as both TOB and Keath have been injured this year. I think we need to draft 2 KPDs through the draft to develop in VFL.
That's a beautiful set of figures

1656211313697.jpeg

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gardner & O’Brien are just so bloody poor one on one - and aren’t really good enough in other areas to make up for it. I just don’t see how they can so consistently be so well beaten in a contest, it’s not even close usually they just get completely manhandled out of it.

They’re the best we have though, and again I think we’d be the worst team in the comp to play key defence for. We don’t help them with the way we set up when in reality we should be trying to cover their weaknesses not expose them.

Need to move past both soon if we want to compete in finals imo

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We can definitely carry one of TOB and Gardy. Not both though imo. They are both okay enough third talls.

We need to bring a solid first or second option in.
Yeah absolute necessity to bring in one ready to go and hopefully draft one with our first too.

What are some realistic options? Payne maybe but doesn’t seem he’s keen on moving if he hasn’t yet, plus I’d like to aim a little higher tbh. Logue does zero for me, wouldn’t be worth the cost imo

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah absolute necessity to bring in one ready to go and hopefully draft one with our first too.

What are some realistic options? Payne maybe but doesn’t seem he’s keen on moving if he hasn’t yet, plus I’d like to aim a little higher tbh. Logue does zero for me, wouldn’t be worth the cost imo
Do we push norf for McKay? This year is his pre free agency year. They will get more for him now from us than next year.

I'd be willing to pay decent.

I saw Ben Miller play today in the vfl. He looked good.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Do we push norf for McKay? This year is his pre free agency year. They will get more for him now from us than next year.

I’d pay up big time for McKay! He’d be absolutely ideal for us, would need him to demand a trade though as North just won’t let him go if at all possible. Hopefully the worse they get this year starts to get to him and he wants to play finals!

Miller is definitely the type we should be looking at too - I’d be happy to go all in and get one cheapish type like him or McAsey, one genuinely good one (not sure who though) and draft another. We’re just lacking so badly in this position

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
KPD is such a glaring weakness, even the muppets on the Sunday/Monday footy shows can see it. Imagine going into a final v Carlton or Geelong and wondering whether Gardner is taking Hawkins or Cameron, or McKay or Curnow.

Problem is I don’t think the club is aggressive enough to target a top tier player and give up what it would take - and tbf I don’t think there are many clubs that would. Dees did it in targeting Lever and May and got criticised, until it turned out to be a great move and helped win a flag.

Best guess is we try and get another Keath-type player in trade/free agency, and/or draft one we hope will come on quickly. Can’t see us being aggressive enough to try and get Logue or Barrass or someone else who would instantly be best 22 first or second KPD.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
KPD is such a glaring weakness, even the muppets on the Sunday/Monday footy shows can see it. Imagine going into a final v Carlton or Geelong and wondering whether Gardner is taking Hawkins or Cameron, or McKay or Curnow.

Problem is I don’t think the club is aggressive enough to target a top tier player and give up what it would take - and tbf I don’t think there are many clubs that would. Dees did it in targeting Lever and May and got criticised, until it turned out to be a great move and helped win a flag.

Best guess is we try and get another Keath-type player in trade/free agency, and/or draft one we hope will come on quickly. Can’t see us being aggressive enough to try and get Logue or Barrass or someone else who would instantly be best 22 first or second KPD.
Barrass is the one - but he stupidly signed a 5yr extension last year so it makes it very difficult unless WCE think it’s in their best interest to go full rebuild, I don’t think a club like WCE ever really has that mentality though, they’ll believe they can turn things around quickly. For him though he’s 27 this year so he’s probably locked himself into playing key defence in one of the worst teams in the league for the best part of his career.

Very true, sometimes you have to take a big gamble. We did taking TBoyd, Melbourne did trading the house for May and Lever, both gambles paid off.

Sadly, I think we need to trade one of our midfielders to get something good. North Melbourne needs a star, Fremantle seem to have a plethora of backs, and would be a Bulldog friendly club to trade with. We simply cannot rely on the defence we have, that is a much more pressing issue than our ruck.

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’d pay up big time for McKay! He’d be absolutely ideal for us, would need him to demand a trade though as North just won’t let him go if at all possible. Hopefully the worse they get this year starts to get to him and he wants to play finals!

Miller is definitely the type we should be looking at too - I’d be happy to go all in and get one cheapish type like him or McAsey, one genuinely good one (not sure who though) and draft another. We’re just lacking so badly in this position
Richmond supporters say Miller cannot take the next step up and is a spud. Don't want

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What would Tarryn Thomas cost if he keeps this up? Has been fine before this season and there's clearly a shocking culture there. Would be the perfect medium for our forward line

doggiesin08

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bushrangers
It was rumoured to give Crows leverage in any trades that might eventuate
I think he also got a pay bump with the expectation his next club would match it. He didn’t give the Crows leverage out of the goodness of his heart.

If he’s a free agent next year there’s no way North trade him. If he leaves next year it’ll be on good money and North will get a 1st round compensation pick. Hard to see them escaping bottom 4 so it will be a better pick than they’d get in a trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back