Analysis The Rebuilds of Carlton and Fremantle and their future prospects

Who has the better prospects?

• Total voters
May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
Harry McKay missing for the next 6 weeks is going to be huge. Let's see how the rest of the Blues pick up the slack.

If they go 2 - 4 or worse then the over reliance will still be on show. 3 - 3 or better and they should be taken very seriously.

Giants (Giants Stadium) night
Swans (Marvel) day
Magpies (MCG) ?
Bombers (MCG) ?
Tigers (MCG) ?
Any comments Yoda?????

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Inside 50s 64 to 40.

That's a midfield thrashing.
More concerned about the scoreboard to be honest. 7 goals from 40 of those inside 50s is a concern. Still at least got a few marks inside 50.

I remember round 2 of 2017 when Freo were smashed by 89 points vs port in Adelaide oval.

Did not have one mark inside 50 all game yet remarkably scored 8.8.56

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
More concerned about the scoreboard to be honest. 7 goals from 40 of those inside 50s is a concern. Still at least got a few marks inside 50.

I remember round 2 of 2017 when Freo were smashed by 89 points vs port in Adelaide oval.

Did not have one mark inside 50 all game yet remarkably scored 8.8.56
I'd be concerned about the midfield and fwd line.

Your backline is very good and held up well under shitloads of pressure and a constant barrage.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I'd be concerned about the midfield and fwd line.

Your backline is very good and held up well under shitloads of pressure and a constant barrage.
Midfield isn't bad. Needs Blake arces and Sam Switkowski back in the side.

As far as the forward line goes...... Yeah the forward line is freos weakness but I rather freos current forward line "weakness" than our forward line weakness of 2012-15 under Ross Lyon.

In that 2012-15 era, freos forward line had Pavlich as our only experienced full forward. Chris Mayne stood at 185 cm at CHF. At any other club, he would be a 3rd tall. Walters and Ballantyne were the forward pockets.

Now let's look at freos forward line. Rory Lobb is 205 cm and matt Taberner is 197 cm.

Both blokes can play as a FF and be double teamed.

We also have Josh Tracey and Jye Amiss at 192-195 cm. Tracy's a 2nd year player and Amiss is a rookie.

Freo beat North Melbourne in WA with Tracy as full forward and Amiss in his debut game at CHF.

Also look at the smalls. Schultz, Switkowski, Frederick, Walters and Coyler. A very good bunch of guys that can play on a wing or forward flank. You can lose one or 2 with injury and those smalls can still be solid.

I love Michael Walters but at 31 or 32 years old, Freo isn't relying on him to kick goals every week. Frederick, Switkowski and Schulz have kicked their fair share of goals.

I like freos depth of tall and small forwards.

Freo are a medium scoring side that kicks between 11 to 14 goals a game. But it's well spreaded with various goal scorers

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Midfield isn't bad. Needs Blake arces and Sam Switkowski back in the side.

As far as the forward line goes...... Yeah the forward line is freos weakness but I rather freos current forward line "weakness" than our forward line weakness of 2012-15 under Ross Lyon.

In that 2012-15 era, freos forward line had Pavlich as our only experienced full forward. Chris Mayne stood at 185 cm at CHF. At any other club, he would be a 3rd tall. Walters and Ballantyne were the forward pockets.

Now let's look at freos forward line. Rory Lobb is 205 cm and matt Taberner is 197 cm.

Both blokes can play as a FF and be double teamed.

We also have Josh Tracey and Jye Amiss at 192-195 cm. Tracy's a 2nd year player and Amiss is a rookie.

Freo beat North Melbourne in WA with Tracy as full forward and Amiss in his debut game at CHF.

Also look at the smalls. Schultz, Switkowski, Frederick, Walters and Coyler. A very good bunch of guys that can play on a wing or forward flank. You can lose one or 2 with injury and those smalls can still be solid.

I love Michael Walters but at 31 or 32 years old, Freo isn't relying on him to kick goals every week. Frederick, Switkowski and Schulz have kicked their fair share of goals.

I like freos depth of tall and small forwards.

Freo are a medium scoring side that kicks between 11 to 14 goals a game. But it's well spreaded with various goal scorers
Way too much analysis for my simple brain

What I saw today is your midfield get smashed.

Centre clearances 14 to 5.
Carlton just roved to Darcy and you blokes just stood flat footed and watched.

Maybe just a bad day.
Something to learn from.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Way too much analysis for my simple brain

What I saw today is your midfield get smashed.

Centre clearances 14 to 5.
Carlton just roved to Darcy and you blokes just stood flat footed and watched.

Maybe just a bad day.
Something to learn from.
Ok I will keep it simple for you.

1. Disappointed with the loss to Carlton.

2. Midfield struggled today but Freo has some players that will return to improve the team.

3. Forward line has depth. Switkowski is injured. Glad to have 2 average kpfs in Lobb and Taberner. Either one can get injured and Freo forward line will still be fine.

4. Freo has 10 wins and , 4 losses. Freo can make finals from here.

Any comments Yoda?????
he is too busy choking on baggers - full of 'sausages'

Yahoo Dog GIF

Ok I will keep it simple for you.

1. Disappointed with the loss to Carlton.

2. Midfield struggled today but Freo has some players that will return to improve the team.

3. Forward line has depth. Switkowski is injured. Glad to have 2 average kpfs in Lobb and Taberner. Either one can get injured and Freo forward line will still be fine.

4. Freo has 10 wins and , 4 losses. Freo can make finals from here.
Finals are a long way from being settled for positions 2- 8.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
he is too busy choking on baggers - full of 'sausages'

Yahoo Dog GIF

Nuh man, I don't run to every Carlton thread and pour fuel on the fire any more after a baggers loss (or win for that matter).. I was quoted for a comment

Can't be ****ed dealing with the ineptitude of debate from most Carlton supporters. Arr0w just likes to be an idiot, Juddernaut at least provides some debate, I don't mind when you actually engage instead of vitriol. But hey, let the debate go on if we can all get along with accurate and valid points about our respective sides. I am all for it hence why we continue to come back to BigFooty

Last edited:
Nuh man, I don't run to any Carlton thread and pour fuel on the fire any more after a baggers loss (or win for that matter).. I was quoted for a comment

Can't be ducked dealing with the ineptitude of debate from most Carlton supporters. Arr0w just likes to be an idiot, Juddernaut at least provides some debate, I don't mind when you actually engage instead of vitriol. But hey, let the debate go on if we can all get along with accurate and valid points about our respective sides. I am all for it hence why we continue to come back to BigFooty
You've just described 'most' Carlton supporters as being 'inept' at carrying on what you say is 'debate' - that is your narrative and construction - others might label your 'debate' as inept trolling - and respond accordingly.

The biggest issue tonight was fitting fyfe, mundy and Brodie into 1 midfield..
Carlton just ran it out if the middle...
Fyfe seemed to be brought back in too quickly. With a somewhat cooked Mundy that was always a huge risk.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
You've just described 'most' Carlton supporters as being 'inept' at carrying on what you say is 'debate' - that is your narrative and construction - others might label your 'debate' as inept trolling - and respond accordingly.

inept according to the Oxford dictionary means lack of skill or ability (to debate in this instance)

Evidence suggests this is true and I have fed the trolls before. Am again trying to turn away from poor posting but gets hard to when pot shots or inaccurate information is fed to the real trolls in most threads.

inept according to the Oxford dictionary means lack of skill or ability (to debate in this instance)

Evidence suggests this is true and I have fed the trolls before. Am again trying to turn away from poor posting but gets hard to when pot shots or inaccurate information is fed to the real trolls in most threads.
You can't help yourself can you?

You've dug your own hole because of your own past posting behaviour - slagging off on Carlton supporters ( again) is a continuing example of embedded bias.

have a nice day.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
You can't help yourself can you?

You've dug your own hole because of your own past posting behaviour - slagging off on Carlton supporters ( again) is a continuing example of embedded bias.

have a nice day.

Can't help myself with what ?

Just stating facts that after every loss, a lot of the commentary is from Carlton supporters because, well, Essendon.

Now, if you check a post from Arr0w in Andy McGrath's player thread on the D&T board, he even admitted that the number 1 player taken in the draft is more often than not the best player after the fact but continues to pot Adrian Dodoro for doing so by taking Andy McGrath who is far from a bust.

This is what I am overly critical of. I've put up my hand and owned my posting history as being poor, have tried to change and am attempting to do better now, it gets hard when all you get is smug posters with crap arguments making the same (incorrect) shots over, and over, and over again. It gets hard

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Fyfe seemed to be brought back in too quickly. With a somewhat cooked Mundy that was always a huge risk.

Fyfe is really close to the end, I am sorry to say, been an absolute champion and arguably GOAT of Freo, but constant and chronic injuries have clearly taken a toll.

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Can't help myself with what ?

Just stating facts that after every loss, a lot of the commentary is from Carlton supporters because, well, Essendon.

Now, if you check a post from Arr0w in Andy McGrath's player thread on the D&T board, he even admitted that the number 1 player taken in the draft is more often than not the best player after the fact but continues to pot Adrian Dodoro for doing so by taking Andy McGrath who is far from a bust.

This is what I am overly critical of. I've put up my hand and owned my posting history as being poor, have tried to change and am attempting to do better now, it gets hard when all you get is smug posters with crap arguments making the same (incorrect) shots over, and over, and over again. It gets hard
It's easy to be humble when your team is crap. When Essendon start rolling again your attitude will change and that's cool. You're copping it now and deserve to give it back tenfold when Essendon reemerge

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Fyfe is really close to the end, I am sorry to say, been an absolute champion and arguably GOAT of Freo, but constant and chronic injuries have clearly taken a toll.

Let's give him a few weeks to get his touch and match fitness back before passing judgement. I don't think anyone expected him to be back firing on all cylinders in his first month.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Let's give him a few weeks to get his touch and match fitness back before passing judgement. I don't think anyone expected him to be back firing on all cylinders in his first month.

Hope so mate..
Definitely deserves the opportunity to be part of a long finals run by Freo.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Fyfe will get back to playing good footy.

Cripps had a down couple of years due to injury. Not easy to dominate as an inside mid after a long time on the sidelines.

Probably won’t be back to his best this season, but hopefully he can just get through the second half of the year. Luckily Brodie has stepped in and replaced a lot of his output.

Back