VFL Round 14 • Geelong v Richmond - 12pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Either he puts the effort into tackling after he didn't try to contest the ball or he tries to get the ball and does not put in a second effort if he fails. It's just one effort and that's it for most of the time.

That's not AFL quality and he will not make it for us playing like that in my opinion. Players in his role like Cripps, Dangerfield, and Fyfe almost always go for the ball first and then put in a second tackling effort if they failed to win the ball. They're also explosive and he's not like that.
With RCD if he doesn't win the first contest it's over, unlike Aarts who continues to fight for the next possession.
I know people bag Aarts but as a midfielder he will be pretty handy.

Impressed with:
Miller, Stack, Mansell, Aarts, Castagna, Cumberland, Bauer and Brown.

Developing well:
Banks, Nyoun and Ryan

Awful:

RCD, Martyn and Collina( can't see any future in him)

Our VFL top ups were led by Street, Nathan and Faimolo
Reckon Bauer any chance this year TI , is cumbo clearly ahead ? Do I read that as miller BOG . I’m flabbergasted he doesn’t come instead of soldo , with his agility and size he could do same roles as balta

I'd say our 5 best were.

Stack - 16 disposals, 1 goal and 8 tackles
Cumberland - 15 disposals, 4 goals
Banks - 20 disposals, 4 tackles
Mansell - 17 disposals, 5 tackles
Aarts - 23 disposals, 2 goals and 3 tackles
Honorable mention to George. Kicked straight and laid 9 tackles. Best hes played in a long time.

Reckon Bauer any chance this year TI , is cumbo clearly ahead ? Do I read that as miller BOG . I’m flabbergasted he doesn’t come instead of soldo , with his agility and size he could do same roles as balta
I think Aarts was BOG, but Miller was the shining light down back with intercept marks. He made an early howler, but our BL was under the pump then. I really believe Bauer is ahead of Clarke atm, but behind HRS, MRJ , Ross, Cumberland and Stack. Then add Cotchin and Lambert back into the 22 and it makes it hard for him. Edwards once passed 300 games may open up another spot. Cumberland was great in the last 45mibn mainly due to Nyoun going forward and freeing him up. He is definitely ahead of Bauer and agree Miller should come in for a Soldo or Tarrant.

Either he puts the effort into tackling after he didn't try to contest the ball or he tries to get the ball and does not put in a second effort if he fails. It's just one effort and that's it for most of the time.

That's not AFL quality and he will not make it for us playing like that in my opinion. Players in his role like Cripps, Dangerfield, and Fyfe almost always go for the ball first and then put in a second tackling effort if they failed to win the ball. They're also explosive and he's not like that.
Poster mentioned it earlier, something that I hadn't noticed before but RCD is quite slow off the mark, which for a midfielder is not great. He's good with the ball and played an okay match, but he trailed his opponents to the ball and his feet are pretty slow, or as TI might say, he plods. One thing I like about Ross and why he reminds me of Selwood is because he has very quick feet so changes direction quickly and doesn't lose his feet, RCD is the opposite. It is time to swap him with Martyn and see how he goes where he can use his speed once he gets motoring. He is after all 193/4cm, so he could in theory play taller if he was made to.

Poster mentioned it earlier, something that I hadn't noticed before but RCD is quite slow off the mark, which for a midfielder is not great. He's good with the ball and played an okay match, but he trailed his opponents to the ball and his feet are pretty slow, or as TI might say, he plods. One thing I like about Ross and why he reminds me of Selwood is because he has very quick feet so changes direction quickly and doesn't lose his feet, RCD is the opposite. It is time to swap him with Martyn and see how he goes where he can use his speed once he gets motoring. He is after all 193/4cm, so he could in theory play taller if he was made to.
His biggest strength is handballing, but it's not enough to cut it as an inside mid.

His biggest strength is handballing, but it's not enough to cut it as an inside mid.
Exactly, time to move him to another position, half back or wing. He was quite good last week when Ross was there doing the majority of the first touch work, he was able to feed off him which he is quite good at. But today he was needed as that player and was constantly trailing Geelong mids or not really hunting the ball. When he got it he had no breakaway speed.

I think Aarts was BOG, but Miller was the shining light down back with intercept marks. He made an early howler, but our BL was under the pump then. I really believe Bauer is ahead of Clarke atm, but behind HRS, MRJ , Ross, Cumberland and Stack. Then add Cotchin and Lambert back into the 22 and it makes it hard for him. Edwards once passed 300 games may open up another spot. Cumberland was great in the last 45mibn mainly due to Nyoun going forward and freeing him up. He is definitely ahead of Bauer and agree Miller should come in for a Soldo or Tarrant.
Tarrant? You’re kidding

Aarts, Castagna, Cumberland, Bauer and Stack all fighting for a forward line spot off Clarke and Maurice. All playing good footy

What game have you been watching!!! Tarrant played his best game for the year and in our top 5, no way he go’s back to VFL. Cumberland has very little impact for large chunks of the game but no doubt would give more of a contest against someone like Tom Stewart. I think Stack offers a little more with his creativity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed.
I think RCD is a straight line player, he need’s to see the ball infront of him so he can run onto it in a clearance situation. If he has to stop/prop/change direction he struggles.

With where the list was at during the time RCD was worth a punt for his physical attributes and scope for improvement. Unfortunately it just hasn’t worked. As for Thomson Dow when you go back and look at his draft aside from maybe Devon Robertson there aren’t really any genuine mids on the list you would say have shown much so perhaps that was just an ordinary draft crop. Chad Warner was actually the other one, good get by the swans at 39

With where the list was at during the time RCD was worth a punt for his physical attributes and scope for improvement. Unfortunately it just hasn’t worked. As for Thomson Dow when you go back and look at his draft aside from maybe Devon Robertson there aren’t really any genuine mids on the list you would say have shown much so perhaps that was just an ordinary draft crop.
Wouldn’t even write Dow off when he played afl earlier in the season he looked great, hasn’t set the world on fire in the vfl since but development is never a straight line of improvement

Wouldn’t even write Dow off when he played afl earlier in the season he looked great, hasn’t set the world on fire in the vfl since but development is never a straight line of improvement
Yeah I haven’t written Dow off, he always looks quite dangerous around the stoppages, just needs to probably work out what it takes to get some more footy in general play. RCD tho I just don’t think he makes it. If another club was to take a punt then good luck to him.

stack was good I would be tempted to bring him in for the young fella or cumberland surely deserves a go. aarts was handy when it mattered but would not like to see him or castanga again. what has happened to dow? put a line into rcd. if ryan could learn how to ruck he would be a good prospect, doesnt stop trying.

Fantastic win by the VFL side coming back from 35 points down just before 3/4 time to run over the top of the Cats at their own dung heap, which gets us into the 8. Was really pleased with Stacks 4 quarter performance, when we were down early he kept us in the game and every time we needed someone to step up he was the one to do so. Should put him back in contention for a senior recall. The other players that really impressed me today were Sonsie Banks Mansell Miller & Cumberland. I wouldn't be opposed to giving Cumberland a proper debut next week as he adds something different to the forward line mix with his ability to take a grab and hit the scoreboard, while also being agile enough at ground level to do damage as well. If we wanted to bring in some support for Tarrant in the KPD role then Millers form warrants another crack at it, while Mansell is waiting in the wings should we need a smaller defender to come in. Sonsie and Banks both had solid games and showed some good signs and can hopefully push their names forward for a debut if the opportunity arises.

My top 5

5. Stack
4. Miller
3. Aarts
2. Cumberland
1. Banks
Good votes but I think Mansell was very stiff. Didn’t put a foot wrong all day and stood up when few others were contributing. I had him third behind Stack and Aarts personally, love the way he plays.

Good votes but I think Mansell was very stiff. Didn’t put a foot wrong all day and stood up when few others were contributing. I had him third behind Stack and Aarts personally, love the way he plays.
Mansell has a fair few similarities to Baker in the way he goes about it. Baker becoming more of a mid might reopen the door for mansell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back