Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Great game of footy Cats vs Tiges. We are so far off this level of play it's not funny.
It was a finals intensity type of game and the difference between these two teams and us is stark. We are so far off this level and struggle to see us get to this level for a long while.

Absolute cracking game of footy though. The start from the cats, the comeback from the tigers, the momentum swing back to the cats at the end.

The flaw with the Saints is they are great if you allow them to play their fast running style but as soon as you can shut it down they have nothing.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Been an illuminating round.

In my attempt to balance everything that has happened to date which I think is of significance.

Melbourne, Geelong and Fremantle are the top 3 sides.

Richmond, Carlton and Sydney are 4 to 6.

Brisbane, Dogs, Port, GCS, Pies and Saints are 7 to 12.

The flaw with the Saints is they are great if you allow them to play their fast running style but as soon as you can shut it down they have nothing.
sounds familiar. Could be talking about us.

In my attempt to balance everything that has happened to date which I think is of significance.

Don't thing the Tigers and Blues are that far behind. Tigers were without Cotchin, Lambert and effectively Prestia. I'd have the Blues above Freo and they wouldn't be too worried about Cats either.

How can you definitively say that Brisbane are behind Richmond and Carlton when they haven't played them? Brisbane also have beaten all of Sydney, Port, Gold Coast, Collingwood and St. Kilda, most by comfortable margins, and if they beat the Dogs next week, which they should, it's pretty clear that they're above that group.

And apart from getting smashed to a Melbourne side with a point to prove they weren't that far off Geelong or Fremantle, both away from home, so to put them well below them is very suspect to me.

I think there's a clear cut top 4 or 5 (with the current top 4 and Sydney looking impressive) and then Richmond, Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast and Collingwood probably competing for the remaining places in the 8.

Port have a tough run home with only 3 teams I would count as bottom 6 in there with GWS, us and Adelaide, which means they need to win 4 games against Gold Coast (h), Fremantle (a), Melbourne (Alice), Geelong (h), Collingwood (a) and Richmond (h) to secure 8th spot because it's looking like you need a 13 win year.

Same with St. Kilda, only have West Coast (a) and Hawthorne in their run home as bottom 6 sides as probable wins, which means they need to get at least 3 wins against Carlton, Fremantle (h), Dogs, Cats (KP), Brisbane (h) and Sydney (h). Not impossible but still a difficult run home.

I reckon we'll see it in the end as:

Melbourne, Fremantle, Geelong, Brisbane as the top 4 in no particular order
Sydney, Carlton, Gold Coast and Collingwood as the other finalists.

How can you definitively say that Brisbane are behind Richmond and Carlton when they haven't played them? Brisbane also have beaten all of Sydney, Port, Gold Coast, Collingwood and St. Kilda, most by comfortable margins, and if they beat the Dogs next week, which they should, it's pretty clear that they're above that group.

And apart from getting smashed to a Melbourne side with a point to prove they weren't that far off Geelong or Fremantle, both away from home, so to put them well below them is very suspect to me.

I think there's a clear cut top 4 or 5 (with the current top 4 and Sydney looking impressive) and then Richmond, Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Gold Coast and Collingwood probably competing for the remaining places in the 8.

Port have a tough run home with only 3 teams I would count as bottom 6 in there with GWS, us and Adelaide, which means they need to win 4 games against Gold Coast (h), Fremantle (a), Melbourne (Alice), Geelong (h), Collingwood (a) and Richmond (h) to secure 8th spot because it's looking like you need a 13 win year.

Same with St. Kilda, only have West Coast (a) and Hawthorne in their run home as bottom 6 sides as probable wins, which means they need to get at least 3 wins against Carlton, Fremantle (h), Dogs, Cats (KP), Brisbane (h) and Sydney (h). Not impossible but still a difficult run home.

Richmond instead of GC and i agree

Jun 2, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon EEEEEEsports
Tarryn thomas with 2 disposals heading into the final quarter.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

Re Brisbane it is really simple. They haven't done anything against a good side in form and have been beaten comprehensively by the sides who were good (i.e. Geelong who kicked inaccurately, Freo and Melbourne which was a 100 point loss)

I rate carlton highly. Without their key defender and other best 22 outs, still dismantled Freo and restricted their scoring. I think they will finish top 4.
I tipped Freo. Thought Carlton would fall away in second half of season, having gone out hard in first half. They seem more resilient and committed to their structures and system than I credited. Injuries would be the only reason I can see that they wouldn't finish top 4. Their form seems to be holding up.

GWS are disappointing. They used to be great to watch with the orange tsunami ball movement but now they are a bit meh and they still have the core of their 2016-19 side…should be performing better
Agree. Skills are really off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back