Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2021/2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee saints are putrid imagine following this mob
Should be reported to child services if you coerce your child into following St.Kilda. Tantamount to child abuse by forcing a lifetime of misery.

Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
With the Saints demise...just looking at the ladder, unless the Dogs turn it on for the rest of the season, the Top 8 teams are already in - there's going to be a massive gap between the rest over the next couple of weeks.

Probably the tightest Top 8 we've seen in living memory...percentage will be playing a massive role as nearly all teams will be within a game of 2nd position.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Gee saints are putrid imagine following this mob
1656163175450.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 2, 2011
Hell
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers, Celta Vigo, LA Rams
We thought that when we played them earlier in the season, Norf suffered a few 100-point losses in a row prior to our game. Norf managed to keep it down to a 60-point loss in Hobart. But Jezza did have a day out.

I mean, we clearly stopped after the 3rd last game. They didn't manage to keep it to 10 goals, we just didn't care.

We were up 64 and then they scored more in the 4th than they had all game.

SkittleCats

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Kardinia Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers & Red Sox
SkittleCats not sure that focusing on contested possession midfielders alone is the way to go.

Teams use specific styles and tactics to win matches.

I looked at this site -

And teams like GC and Adelaide are higher than us on the CP ladder.

It’s a whole of game thing.

In the past - when we have lost finals - we’ve actually been up the top in CP’s. And had dominant midfield winners such as Selwood and Dangerfield.

Anyway - in my opinion- missing an extra contested ball midfielder isn’t what has held us back.

Rather, it has been composure. Any team up the top can beat any other team. But often luck, momentum and then psychology plays a part. Brisbane were all over Melbourne on Thursday. Dominating in a few facets of the game in the first quarter- except conversion. They had their chances to really make Melbourne second guess themselves and have to chase - which means taking more risk and then having more turnovers. The end scoreline has everyone saying Melbourne are back, but the reality is - Brisbane dropped the ball in a major way - and they’d be very hungry for the rematch.

I agree with this: It's a team balance issue.

My point is that we threw that balance off by playing so many tall wingman types ala Zuthrie, Smith, Kolo, MOC, 2E, in addition to Duncan and Menegola.

As we saw last night, once Richmond took away our space we looked lost and Richmond were able to get the game on their terms as a result. We lacked the manpower to go into the middle and help wrestle back control at the stoppages via contested ball and clearances. Instead we had all those player hanging around on the outside waiting for only Selwood, Guthrie and Atkins to feed the ball out to them. Our game relies on turnovers to bring those players i listed above into the game and allows them to play to their strength. Once you start beating us at stoppages and in contested ball, you can minimise turnovers which takes away our strength and turn it into a weakness.

As i said on Thursday, you could drop MOC and Kolo for two genuine midfielders ala Dahlhaus and Stephens and we would be better for the change from a team balance perspective. We would still be strong on turnovers and in space, but we'd have more grunt at stoppages to keep the game on our terms. And we still have Danger to come back (although that should be a straight swap for Miers at this stage).

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree with this: It's a team balance issue.

My point is that we threw that balance off by playing so many tall wingman types ala Zuthrie, Smith, Kolo, MOC, 2E, in addition to Duncan and Menegola.

As we saw last night, once Richmond took away our space we looked lost and Richmond were able to get the game on their terms as a result. We lacked the manpower to go into the middle and help wrestle back control at the stoppages via contested ball and clearances. Instead we had all those player hanging around on the outside waiting for only Selwood, Guthrie and Atkins to feed the ball out to them. Our game relies on turnovers to bring those players i listed above into the game and allows them to play to their strength. Once you start beating us at stoppages and in contested ball, you can minimise turnovers which takes away our strength and turn it into a weakness.

As i said on Thursday, you could drop MOC and Kolo for two genuine midfielders ala Dahlhaus and Stephens and we would be better for the change from a team balance perspective. We would still be strong on turnovers and in space, but we'd have more grunt at stoppages to keep the game on our terms. And we still have Danger to come back (although that should be a straight swap for Miers at this stage).
We actually won contested possession by +30.

So it's not the contests that are the isssue. But I bet our pressure factor dropped during those middle two quarters.

So it's not the contests that are the isssue. But I bet our pressure factor dropped during those middle two quarters.
Your intuition is right.

BD2F0CE1-BF18-4A94-BB9D-EBC81B7E5434.jpeg

SkittleCats

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Kardinia Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers & Red Sox

This is a good distinction to make i think. It isnt just contested ball and clearances, it's simple pressure around the ball as well, which we couldnt keep up when the Tiges turned the heat up in the third.

And at the risk of harping on about it, we threw our balance off there with the team we chose and as a result found it difficult to get momentum back because we just didnt have enough midfielders to go into the middle and apply pressure to their midfield.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back