Autopsy North lose to the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously there’s an absolute smorgasbord of shitness today, but bugger it, as a slightly jaded pragmatic-optimist I’m still going to try and list some positives:

Paul Curtis. Smart, good work rate and movement, uses the ball pretty well and with time could definitely be a player.

Curtis Taylor continues to improve. 20 touches, a nice goal and 448 metres gained.

Tristan Xerri with another game that shows promise. 14 disposals, 6 marks, 1.0 and 21 hit-outs in just under 71 minutes of game time.

Jacko Archer looked surprisingly comfortable at the level. In fact he looked better than he did in the couple of VFL games that I saw. Obviously he’s built like Skinny McGuinness but he has a crack and picked up 15 disposals (73% effective).
Great post.

It comes down to mindset

There’s something really wrong down there.
Haven’t seen so many disinterested players in my life.
Agree. I had backed Noble until today also, but this loss is absolutely soul destroying. The players are playing like they are all under so much pressure that they cannot relax into the game. Hack kicks, lack of run etc it all is adding up to a playing group that is too scared to take risks and hangs their head early in a game. They need a coach that can instill confidence in them. Sadly Nobes does not appear able to do that. The talent is their. The mindset is not.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't keep Nobles until the end of the year but who would replace him and take a different tack?
Not sure who would caretake and couldn't expect too much from the last 7 weeks.

But the sooner the better. It'd give the club more time to find a coach and assistants. And from potentially a bigger pool. Plus they'd be in to prepare preseason earlier and for trading, draft etc.

Couldnt watch the game due to brewing commitments but i still surprised At the reaction. I can accept our board likely place our list higher than it actually is myself included but we are really 18 month to 2 years away from being bottom dwellers.

I have been a member for 30 years. I have no other connection with the club, other than love supporting us.
Unfortunately I have NFI what is going on down at Arden st atm. I think our list should be performing much better than we are. 5-6 wins a year I think we should be capable of achieving for where our list is at. Not constant 10 goal defeats. We have developed zero synergy with this group over the last 2 seasons.
We have a good FF, good FB, good ruckman, and a young midfield group who should display effort and energy on match day but unfortunately they are not.
All things off field I have NFI about. Can Noble coach? There’s no doubt he’s underperforming atm.
Is Amarfio the right CEO? I have NFI. Membership numbers are good, balance sheets are good.
Can anyone tell me with 100 per cent certainty what’s going wrong?

I think the guys for the most part are trying, their confidence is shot and there is no easy way to come back from this point. Most clubs who are this bad sometimes have a second wind after the bye, like we did last year, but for the most part nothing meaningful changes until the next season.

A big part of our revival last year was Cunners, even though he might be back soonish, he wont have any match fitness.

I would like us to not be a complete shitshow when Ben comes back because he can't carry this team.

I think we are attempting to play a style of play for when we are a mature side, but at present we can't pull it off and it is just demoralising us, we can't let it continue. Our emphasis needs to be attack the ball with ferocity, attack the man with ferocity and deny the opposition time to dispose and when we have the ball, play on, run with numbers with handball and spread. The only long kick we should be doing is a shot on goal.

We need to start setting a high enough minimum standard to earn a spot in the side.

Anyone who is too light of frame to effect a tackle one-on-one needs to be dropped. A significant problem is a featherweight can't stick a tackle, they go to ground and we are outnumbered at every contest and our defensive structure collapses.

Out: Stephenson, Powell, Scott, Thomas, Taylor
In: Ford, Perez, Ziebell, Hayden, CCJ

FB: Turner McKay Walker
HB: Hall Corr Archer
C: Perez Zurhaar McDonald
HF: Anderson CCJ Simpkin
FF: Curtis Larkey Ford
F: Goldstein Hayden LDU
I: Xerri Ziebell Greenwood Bonar

It is not that those out are s**t, they are either soft or have the physique of a female supermodel. The only reason I am not dropping Simpkin is because he isn't soft, he just doesn't have the body for that inside role.

Coach needs to come out and say I am looking at a ballpark of 100 tackles for next weeks game, and I want the tackles to stick and hurt, but fair. Perez is on the angry pills, i like that. Need to get Bonar on the angry pills, he is built like Tarzan but plays like Jane. Tell him if he wants to be on an AFL player next year he has to go hard or go home. Same with Hayden, you are built like a brick shithouse, want you attacking the ball and the man like a Norse Berserker, use your mass, make the opposition hurt when you tackle them.

Archer is light of body but he has his old man's spirit. Want Anderson and Simpkin coming in hard off the stoppage, same as McDonald and Perez, any opposition player that ends up with an uncontested possession in the middle should feel the heart from 360 degrees. I don't care if there is 200 stoppages, would actually count that as a win. We are playing 3 ruckman, want to see Xerri use his agro like Mumford, everyone else there are short people, shove them around.

The rotations coming in are big bodied players. I don't want Greenwood to be second to the ball and just tackle, want to see you get the ball and smash through the opposition, want players to run with numbers and just physically run through the opposition like it's a rugby game. Want to see Zurhaar just play smart, he is big and strong, but he too often doesn't play team footy, give him some responsibility in the middle to help break the game open.

It isn't about winning or losing, it is about holding up, about building confidence and team spirit. If players like Bonar or Hayden don't make it as AFL footballers, you want to go out giving it 100%.

Atm our midfield is just breaking down because there are far too many easy routes through it. I'd rather welcome back guys like Cunners and JHF into a side that can show that it puts up a fight.

Failing that, maybe Walsh can deliver an abbreviated review with one or two key recommendations at 9am tomorrow, based on what he’s witnessed thus far.
Most watching on TV would've heard Dixon say said that Walsh told him he was conducting interviews of footy department staff. Got the impression it was going to be quick, could be wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was hoping for a reset after the “bye”

But No change

Same :
• Can only play competent in short 10min blocks.
• Same slow, stagnant movement
• Panicked dump kicks.
• Stupid free kicks
• Confidence sucked out of players.
• Horrible body language

Young Arch I thought was pretty good. Made a few blues, but seem to still get the ball and get involved which is encouraging.

Embarrassing. We have zero system.

Only one midfielder provides deep entry from clearance - LDU. All others hack kick, shallow entry intercept by their HBF, and they're away because our mids don't cover the spread at all.

When we win the ball back we are stagnant. Literally zero movement.
This is wrong. Our first quarter in comparison to most other quarters throughout the season was really good. We didn’t maintain it and went downhill rapidly. If we had maintained that effort the result would have been closer and possibly reversed.

On balance players must accept more responsibility for where we are at than the coach. Today the crows were gifted 3 goals by umps, we completely missed the sticks on 4 occasions and missed 3 set shots, those things are not the coaches fault. I thought Thomas was lazy and disinterested, Stevo ineffectual, players generally lacked commitment as the game progressed, that’s their fault not the coaches. With hindsight our biggest strategic mistake was not playing McKay in defence with Walker and not playing zuharr at CHF and Larkey at FF, those are on the coach for not switching at half time.

Overall though I would seriously be dropping Stevo and Thomas and others and bringing in VFL players who want to bleed blue and white. I’d rather see those guys getting flogged while trying their hearts out for the jumper than a lot of our afl listed players.

We either have no plan, the plan is unworkable or the players don't understand it because there is five eights of fugg all system in our play. Add to that the disconnect between players and coach then the writing is on the wall. Noble is gone. His position cannot be revived. Do it now ffs. The longer we persevere the worse this will get. We are a laughing stock and vulnerable to every media hit.

Let me get my head around this through venting.

We traded pick 19 in this years draft for Callum Coleman-Jones, when we could have walked him to the PSD and got him for free.

Today, instead of playing Coleman-Jones, when we obviously had a need for another tall forward, we swing forward our most important, and potentially only A grade player from his preferred position at full back, to play full forward.

AND, to make things worse, their two key forwards tear us apart all day

Noble clearly rates Coleman-Jones about as far as he can throw him.

Seriously concerning times at selection.

I think the guys for the most part are trying, their confidence is shot and there is no easy way to come back from this point. Most clubs who are this bad sometimes have a second wind after the bye, like we did last year, but for the most part nothing meaningful changes until the next season.

A big part of our revival last year was Cunners, even though he might be back soonish, he wont have any match fitness.

I would like us to not be a complete shitshow when Ben comes back because he can't carry this team.

I think we are attempting to play a style of play for when we are a mature side, but at present we can't pull it off and it is just demoralising us, we can't let it continue. Our emphasis needs to be attack the ball with ferocity, attack the man with ferocity and deny the opposition time to dispose and when we have the ball, play on, run with numbers with handball and spread. The only long kick we should be doing is a shot on goal.

We need to start setting a high enough minimum standard to earn a spot in the side.

Anyone who is too light of frame to effect a tackle one-on-one needs to be dropped. A significant problem is a featherweight can't stick a tackle, they go to ground and we are outnumbered at every contest and our defensive structure collapses.

Out: Stephenson, Powell, Scott, Thomas, Taylor
In: Ford, Perez, Ziebell, Hayden, CCJ

FB: Turner McKay Walker
HB: Hall Corr Archer
C: Perez Zurhaar McDonald
HF: Anderson CCJ Simpkin
FF: Curtis Larkey Ford
F: Goldstein Hayden LDU
I: Xerri Ziebell Greenwood Bonar

It is not that those out are s**t, they are either soft or have the physique of a female supermodel. The only reason I am not dropping Simpkin is because he isn't soft, he just doesn't have the body for that inside role.

Coach needs to come out and say I am looking at a ballpark of 100 tackles for next weeks game, and I want the tackles to stick and hurt, but fair. Perez is on the angry pills, i like that. Need to get Bonar on the angry pills, he is built like Tarzan but plays like Jane. Tell him if he wants to be on an AFL player next year he has to go hard or go home. Same with Hayden, you are built like a brick shithouse, want you attacking the ball and the man like a Norse Berserker, use your mass, make the opposition hurt when you tackle them.

Archer is light of body but he has his old man's spirit. Want Anderson and Simpkin coming in hard off the stoppage, same as McDonald and Perez, any opposition player that ends up with an uncontested possession in the middle should feel the heart from 360 degrees. I don't care if there is 200 stoppages, would actually count that as a win. We are playing 3 ruckman, want to see Xerri use his agro like Mumford, everyone else there are short people, shove them around.

The rotations coming in are big bodied players. I don't want Greenwood to be second to the ball and just tackle, want to see you get the ball and smash through the opposition, want players to run with numbers and just physically run through the opposition like it's a rugby game. Want to see Zurhaar just play smart, he is big and strong, but he too often doesn't play team footy, give him some responsibility in the middle to help break the game open.

It isn't about winning or losing, it is about holding up, about building confidence and team spirit. If players like Bonar or Hayden don't make it as AFL footballers, you want to go out giving it 100%.

Atm our midfield is just breaking down because there are far too many easy routes through it. I'd rather welcome back guys like Cunners and JHF into a side that can show that it puts up a fight.
Interesting on Taylor, as I thought today he tried about 5 times to take the ball in a pack at speed and crash through......tipping he gets away with this training against us, because there’s not many to stop him. But he comes up against proper AFL bodies and he gets smashed in there. Massive issues with training standards IMO.

Let me get my head around this through venting.

We traded pick 19 in this years draft for Callum Coleman-Jones, when we could have walked him to the PSD and got him for free.

Today, instead of playing Coleman-Jones, when we obviously had a need for another tall forward, we swing forward our most important, and potentially only A grade player from his preferred position at full back, to play full forward.

AND, to make things worse, their two key forwards tear us apart all day

Noble clearly rates Coleman-Jones about as far as he can throw him.

Seriously concerning times at selection.
Agree with most of what you've said here, but the McKay move is only deserving of limited criticism imo. We had nothing to lose by trying it, but after the first half we should've moved him back

Agree with most of what you've said here, but the McKay move is only deserving of limited criticism imo. We had nothing to lose by trying it, but after the first half we should've moved him back

Cant agree with nothing to lose by the move. Walker did as he pleases and Fogerty was similar.

Needed him down back from 1/4 time onwards.

Interesting on Taylor, as I thought today he tried about 5 times to take the ball in a pack at speed and crash through......tipping he gets away with this training against us, because there’s not many to stop him. But he comes up against proper AFL bodies and he gets smashed in there. Massive issues with training standards IMO.

I like Taylor and he did some really good things but he was drafted in 2018 and is 187cm and 78kg, he needs to be around 85k, he just was pushed around, went to ground and didn't prevent his man from just waltzing past him time and again. He just needs to be able to hold up defensively a lot better. People might see oh he had 3 tackles, wasn't the worst but the game was basically over by a number of players just not holding up defensively, it isn't that he is our only weak link in the chain, the whole chain fence has been pushed over. We need to start setting some defensive standards because it doesn't take a lot to go from somewhat competitive to getting thrashed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back