Player Watch #28 Josh Gibcus

Remove this Banner Ad

Quiet night for JG. Probably needs a rest and head back to the 2’s for a run. Not a bad thing as he has played some good footy in his first year!

As happens with first year players, he is showing signs of tiring. Send him back to the VFL to work on a few things and start beating some opponents and taking some marks for confidence. If his form warrants it, bring him back into the AFL in a couple of weeks.

As happens with first year players, he is showing signs of tiring. Send him back to the VFL to work on a few things and start beating some opponents and taking some marks for confidence. If his form warrants it, bring him back into the AFL in a couple of weeks.
We ruined him by playing him on Buddy so early in his career. Hasnt been the same player since. Just saying

We ruined him by playing him on Buddy so early in his career. Hasnt been the same player since. Just saying

No shame in that you learn in those situations will be for the better he wasn't on Buddy all game and did well first half.

I would give him 1 week off playing any games and just training then play him 2-3 weeks in the VFL and maybe bring back later in the year
Miller must get some games and we need his mature body and development into him to be ready for 2023.

Gibbo has made a great debut this year and surpassed all expectations for a 18 year old kid , In 3-4 years time he will be one of the best defenders in the game but we need Miller , Brown & Biggy to come along with him

Lol calm down. He will be fine. For an undersized KPD who's been asked to play back with big roles and sometimes forward, he's just tiring and not as consistent and experienced as guys who are years in the system. He's probably a bit fatigued, a bit sore, and hasn't yet learnt how to deal with form slumps.

There's nothing wrong with young players going back into the VFL when their form dips a bit or they tire or if they need to work on some things. Get some confidence in some easier games and then if/when he is performing well bring him back in.

Hate to say it - but he did it again.
Last quarter 11mins to go, he goes for a big spoil and punches with a swinging arm from the side straight back into the corridor - it looked like Jack when he used to do those 'forward tap-ons' he would do in marking contests. Except this went the wrong way, into the paths of the running Geelong forwards and they kick a goal.

If a Geelong player had done it would have been praised to the heights as great attacking play. As a defender it was a terrible error.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep this. Is a first year player and excelled initially. needs a rest now. will be a 200+ gamer Tiger at the end

WTF does Dimma insist on turning all the best young defenders we have into forwards?

Balta, Gibcus, Stack & Baker

I wish he would wake the * up and play them in their best positions. None of them have worked

WTF does Dimma insist on turning all the best young defenders we have into forwards?

I wish he would wake the * up and play them in their best positions. None of them have worked
Dunno if you saw the game last night but I think we learnt Bakers best position isn’t in the backline
It’s in the middle with rotations forward

Dunno if you saw the game last night but I think we learnt Bakers best position isn’t in the backline
It’s in the middle with rotations forward
Don't agree. He tried that this year and last year and he plays the odd good game (was BOG when we beat the Bullfrogs last year playing mid) but he is consistently high quality in the backline only to date.

Can see the merit either way, back him in to regain form and learn against better forwards or let him gain some confidence in the vfl

Wouldn’t be overly fussed either way

To me Gibcus should stay back no reason to move him back and forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back