VFL Round 14 • Geelong v Richmond - 12pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Poster mentioned it earlier, something that I hadn't noticed before but RCD is quite slow off the mark, which for a midfielder is not great. He's good with the ball and played an okay match, but he trailed his opponents to the ball and his feet are pretty slow, or as TI might say, he plods. One thing I like about Ross and why he reminds me of Selwood is because he has very quick feet so changes direction quickly and doesn't lose his feet, RCD is the opposite. It is time to swap him with Martyn and see how he goes where he can use his speed once he gets motoring. He is after all 193/4cm, so he could in theory play taller if he was made to.

I’ve been pretty supportive of RCD for a while, and will continue to be. But this point feeds into the biggest issue he has, I noticed the very first VFL practice game he played at PRO v Collingwood in his very first year; and whilst it has improved in some facets, it’s clear it’s not at the level it needs to be to be a top flight AFL mid.

That is just general footy nouse. I think RCD is quick of the mark, but he just doesn’t have that natural understanding that guys like Cotchin have that means he knows where he needs to be the half second before anyone else. Cotch isn’t quick of the mark (imo) but he has always had that ability to read the play before anyone and it makes him look quick. RCD is the exact opposite.

He has improved somewhat from that first game I saw him at, particularly in terms of engaging his opponent in the right manner at the right time, and releasing at the right time. But that’s not enough (other thing is getting hands free just before he is getting tackled but hand passes behind his head blindly into the corridor) to be that high profile inside mid that will ultimately take Cotch’ role.

Don’t get me wrong, I still think there’s a future for RCD; as 191cm big bodied mids can help in the stoppage by just there presence (as an example see Connor Nash at Hawthorn), but it will be to play a role only. It won’t be as a high percentage consistent inside mid at AFL level unfortunately.

Miller gave up about 4 easy goals off his poor ball handling
4, I watched the game and just then the highlights and he left one ball behind, in the pouring rain but it was average, and an early ones to Ratugolia who pushed him in the back, other than than did not see him make any goal giving mistakes. It was a wet game so nobody's hands were perfect.

If we get 2019 Stack (Think that's his debut year) plus a more development we are definitely contending. Good signs with work rate yet Cumberland must be rewarded first for mine. The next few weeks will be wins so Cumberland gets a couple weeks to have a crack for Clarke. I want to see Stack kick the selection door down first. He should be dominating at this level.

We can handle 4-5 injuries the next few weeks and just make sure we are healthy coming into Fremantle and Brisbane with a settled squad getting a 3-4 game block before finals. Anyone with a niggle managed against North please, then utensil on the block for the road home no holding back.

If we get 2019 Stack (Think that's his debut year) plus a more development we are definitely contending. Good signs with work rate yet Cumberland must be rewarded first for mine. The next few weeks will be wins so Cumberland gets a couple weeks to have a crack for Clarke. I want to see Stack kick the selection door down first. He should be dominating at this level.

We can handle 4-5 injuries the next few weeks and just make sure we are healthy coming into Fremantle and Brisbane with a settled squad getting a 3-4 game block before finals. Anyone with a niggle managed against North please, then utensil on the block for the road home no holding back.
You obviously didn't watch the game. Stack had a hand in most of our goals especially early. They noted at one stage, second Q from memory he had 6 score involvements out of 9. Dominating games from the half forward flank is not easy but commentators were pretty unanimous who was best on ground, from memory 'Stack by a mile'.

Last week he was our second best behind Ross.

Both deserve a game, Clarke and Prestia for Stack and Cumberland.

We need points on the board and taking an opposition lightly is fraught with danger for mine. Play our strongest 22 until we are safe in our position.
Cumberland deserves his chance I reckon, at the expense of young Clarke. I’d love Stacky to come in but I think Cotchin will be available to replace Dion so he may have to wait a little longer?

We need points on the board and taking an opposition lightly is fraught with danger for mine. Play our strongest 22 until we are safe in our position.
Cumberland deserves his chance I reckon, at the expense of young Clarke. I’d love Stacky to come in but I think Cotchin will be available to replace Dion so he may have to wait a little longer?
Doubt Cotchin will be back he cracked a bone in his sternum and had a plate put it. Surely that is more than a week.

Doubt Cotchin will be back he cracked a bone in his sternum and had a plate put it. Surely that is more than a week.
Yeah, not sure Grrr. Await the weekly medical update I guess. Ross was pretty good in the Cotchin role on Saturday afternoon I thought

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You obviously didn't watch the game. Stack had a hand in most of our goals especially early. They noted at one stage, second Q from memory he had 6 score involvements out of 9. Dominating games from the half forward flank is not easy but commentators were pretty unanimous who was best on ground, from memory 'Stack by a mile'.

Last week he was our second best behind Ross.

Both deserve a game, Clarke and Prestia for Stack and Cumberland.
It wasn't just the score involvements either. Stack laid eight tackles, working just as hard defensively as he did with ball in hand.

We need to see this from Cumberland before he gets a go.

It wasn't just the score involvements either. Stack laid eight tackles, working just as hard defensively as he did with ball in hand.

We need to see this from Cumberland before he gets a go.
I'd have both in no problem. Young Rioli is going okay but he only had 6 disposals and 1 tackle so not sure how he is an automatic selection.

Thing about Cumberland is that he is more your all round forward, has x factor, is aggressive and can also mark the ball. I think we need a bit more aerial threat as we always just bomb it long to Lynch or Jack. If Soldo can get on lead and take two forward marks, surely Cumberland can. Plus he is strong one on one. He has also scored multiple (3+) goals the last 4 or so matches. Give me goals over tackles any day.

Not a fan of the pressure forward, we have had a good half a dozen and all of them are gone. A forward line with Bolton, Stack, Cumberland, Martin, Jack and Lynch would be very exciting and dynamic and still have plenty of aggression, tackling and hassling.

Last edited:
Cotchin will most likely be out until round 18

Stack should have been the Sub last round and having Soldo as a sub was just stupid and no idea what the match committee were thinking with that
Where did you get that info from R2R? on the medical report last Monday, burge said Cotchin will miss this week, then they will re-assess. Certainly no hint of a 3-4 week injury?

Where did you get that info from R2R? on the medical report last Monday, burge said Cotchin will miss this week, then they will re-assess. Certainly no hint of a 3-4 week injury?
On the AFL injury list it had cotchin 1-3 weeks and that sounds more likely with a cracked clavicle bone
specially Cotchins game style it wouldnt take long to do more damage

I would be surprised the club risks him against eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back