Preview Round 16, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Friday 1st July, 7:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Blues

Votes: 68 81.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 15 18.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone catch SL on SEN?
Yep ,
Basically said that we had over achieved and they thought we were an 7-10 team ( From memory ) and it sounds like they are going to stick with ratts regardless of what happens . ( Get flogged by the blues and that may change )

Last edited:
DMac not available I believe
How about Hill?
We don’t know why he was out, other than personal, so do we know for sure whether he’s back?
Because last years whipping boy has become an essential part of the team.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
How about Hill?
We don’t know why he was out, other than personal, so do we know for sure whether he’s back?
Because last years whipping boy has become an essential part of the team.
Ratts said Hill and Ryder back this week
Although that didn’t help against the Bombers

At Max’s age the G-Train was still playing on the wing

I reckon he was like HBF wing. I still remember him playing a game against us at docklands where he took the ball at HB and ran the length of the ground like he was the fastest player on the ground. No one could get near him.

I still think they should have kept Bruce to develop along side. He’s not learning good habits.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
Out - Sharman, Byrnes, Long, Butler, NWM, Billings,

In - Ryder, Owens, Hill, DMac, Higgins, Wood,

Pressure forwards are meaningless if you don't get the ball inside 50 especially with the way we get the ball inside 50. We are 14th in the league for i50's and our efficiency rate is poor as well.

More two way run needed through the midfield and off half back.

Sinclair, Clark, Jones, Hill, DMac and Wood to provide most of that for the back half/wing. Jones/Clark to run through the midfield as needed

Steele, Crouch, Gresham and Ross as the main midfield with Windy and Owens to rotate through the forward half.

Marshall as first ruck, Ryder to play as a FF/ruck, King to play CHF.

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Out - Sharman, Byrnes, Long, Butler, NWM, Billings,

In - Ryder, Owens, Hill, DMac, Higgins, Wood,

Pressure forwards are meaningless if you don't get the ball inside 50 especially with the way we get the ball inside 50. We are 14th in the league for i50's and our efficiency rate is poor as well.

More two way run needed through the midfield and off half back.

Sinclair, Clark, Jones, Hill, DMac and Wood to provide most of that for the back half/wing. Jones/Clark to run through the midfield as needed

Steele, Crouch, Gresham and Ross as the main midfield with Windy and Owens to rotate through the forward half.

Marshall as first ruck, Ryder to play as a FF/ruck, King to play CHF.
I thought our midfield was sh*te the other night, and Steele, Crouch, Ross and Gresh all seemed be rotating through it. Crouch is off the boil, Steele picked up possesions still not quite on the pace, Gresh not very accountable defensively, and Ross plodding along picking up possession but with little impact. One thing common with them all- bombing, rubbish delivery into the forward half

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
I thought our midfield was sh*te the other night, and Steele, Crouch, Ross and Gresh all seemed be rotating through it. Crouch is off the boil, Steele picked up possesions still not quite on the pace, Gresh not very accountable defensively, and Ross plodding along picking up possession but with little impact. One thing common with them all- bombing, rubbish delivery into the forward half
That's why I'm getting rid of the pressure forwards - so we have more players who can actually rotate through the midfield.

4 keys mids - Steele, Crouch, Ross, Gresham.

+ Clark and Jones rotating through the back half.

+ Windy and Owens rotating through the front half.

Then add Wood and DMac who can actually run both ways and Hill who can run.

The mids played okay individually but the side has no connection. Players look lost and we don’t move into space for the next option.

Sydney opened up space and we gave it to them and still couldn’t find any ourselves because they work two ways.

Carlton are very good at opening up the ground under Voss. If we play like that again we will be slaughtered.

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA
Would love to see Jones used as a pressure forward or running of half back when hill was out.
Unfortunately our lack of acceleration in the centre circle makes him needed there.

That's why I'm getting rid of the pressure forwards - so we have more players who can actually rotate through the midfield.

4 keys mids - Steele, Crouch, Ross, Gresham.

+ Clark and Jones rotating through the back half.

+ Windy and Owens rotating through the front half.

Then add Wood and DMac who can actually run both ways and Hill who can run.

Maybe play Clark and Jones forward. Pace and skill.

Lienert, Hill, Sincs, Battle, Joyce and Wilkie as the back 6.

Stay with solo Marshall. Play Membrey and Coops as actual tall forwards. King, Clark, Jones and Windhager the rest of the forwards. Rotate Gresham and Windy on ball.

Possibly play Howard as a forward ruck or drop him.

Steele, Ross and Crouch with Gresham should be a very good set up. Wings are the tricky bit. Billings was painfully slow to move the ball, DMac injured, Wood probably has to come in if fit.

Change s**t up a bit.

St Kilda Death

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NOLA
The mids played okay individually but the side has no connection. Players look lost and we don’t move into space for the next option.

Sydney opened up space and we gave it to them and still couldn’t find any ourselves because they work two ways.

Carlton are very good at opening up the ground under Voss. If we play like that again we will be slaughtered.
I reckon we have plenty of hard running, long distance running players gringo, just lacked the zip to get separation / catch up.
Exposed on the smaller ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see Jones used as a pressure forward or running of half back when hill was out.
Unfortunately our lack of acceleration in the centre circle makes him needed there.

I was just posting the same thought.

Klaatu

All Australian
Oct 18, 2019
Outer space
AFL Club
St Kilda
Every ones got an answer on who should be dropped who's lazy our midfield s**t and so on, but the real reson our ball use in the F50 isn't any good is no movement King stands still keep moving, same with all fwds make it hard to defend on you & MF will deliver to you.

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jones needs to work on it at Sandy- he isn't playing like the Jones of 2020, just keeps running into tackles and not putting his head over the ball like he used to.

Cairnsman

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's interesting hearing supporters suggest players like Jones should go back to Sandy to work on their game but Sharman should remain at AFL level to work on his game.

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
It's interesting hearing supporters suggest players like Jones should go back to Sandy to work on their game but Sharman should remain at AFL level to work on his game.
Jones was being discussed here. But I think the entire team could go back to Sandy as that's the level they have been at the last two weeks ;)

PandaG

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I really hope that our players have thicker skins than some of the posters here. Since Saturday night we've seen every layer of the club cop it - president, board, coaches, players (thankfully the trainee receptionist has been spared). And now I see GT is back on with his carry-on, the clown just can't help himself.

Our form is atrocious but here's the thing, since the bye we've only lost one game we were expected to win. The season is not over due to the fact that we won a lot of games in the first half of the year. "Play the kids because the season is over" is a loser mentality.

The team needs a circuit breaker to get its mojo back, and what better way to do that than to beat an up and about Carlton?

Yes I know the safest bet is to go "the club sucks there's no way we will win this game", but this team has played well this season, we've beaten Geelong Richmond and Freo who look like three of the better teams in the comp. I'm not going to write those wins off as flukes.

I've seen us do Carlton in a game like this before. F it I'm going to believe in this team this week, let's get up for a great win.
Don’t
It’s an abusive relationship
You will have your feeling hurt again
They can’t beat the blues

Sharman has a good footy brain, can read the play, positions well, skilled.

Body of a 16 year old, pushed out the way too often.

Send him to the weights room and force feed him chicken breasts 5 times a day.

I thought he was okay, tried hard but was in a role that didn’t do much for his game. Hickey worked out that he could shove him out of the way at ball ups.

Jones needs to work on it at Sandy- he isn't playing like the Jones of 2020, just keeps running into tackles and not putting his head over the ball like he used to.

I think he’s struggling but it’s more like he’s just not having his really good games this season. Last year his baseline was about what it is now but he smashed a few games open. He’s very high impact and you can’t say that for many Saints. Don’t know if VFL is better or play him into some form.

Cairnsman

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
IIt's
Sharman has a good footy brain, can read the play, positions well, skilled.

Body of a 16 year old, pushed out the way too often.

Send him to the weights room and force feed him chicken breasts 5 times a day.
Based on his games in 2022 he is way off the pace, ironically those two attempted screamers coming from behind the pack perfectly illustrate why he will be sent back to Sandy to work on his game. It's the same reason Higgins was sent back to Sandy. Cheating out the back hoping for the cheapy mark of the year just hurts the team the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back