What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Doug Hawkins played the village idiot role to perfection on the Footy Show Was he smarter than either of Newman or McGuire ? He was a geat footballer, he could do things even Bont can't I once bought his father a beer in the old Social Club. In retrospect, Hawkins Snr conned me, just like his son did all those wingers on the eastern wing of Western Oval.

Think you guys were after this one.

One of the greatest moments in recorded history. One day, when the human race is no more, and this planet is inhabited only by invertebrates, a celestial traveller will touch down, and seeing a cave opening where Footscray used to be, enter and hold up a light. On the cave wall will be this drawing:

1655705751819.png

Doug Hawkins played the village idiot role to perfection on the Footy Show Was he smarter than either of Newman or McGuire ? He was a geat footballer, he could do things even Bont can't I once bought his father a beer in the old Social Club. In retrospect, Hawkins Snr conned me, just like his son did all those wingers on the eastern wing of Western Oval.
Unfortunately Doug didn’t have a lot of options. He might even have enjoyed it. Libba was an excellent student at school and is involved in other things outside football, charities for example. He could be in demand but I doubt it will be to play a village idiot on a dumb tv show.

EXCUSE ME, DRU, I taught at Braybrook High for a term. Hawk had the greatest teachers the Victoria Education Departm coul possibly prioritise, how do you reckon I got the gig ? 0to do well when your family can aford to spen $20,000.00 pst tax dollars on you education (wjhat were to hose nuns at St Jonbhn's tinkingh ?).Several decades ago, Hawkins gave a talk at one of those Eastern Suburbs Private Schools. You can imagine that there were few who were naturaol, to the great , little Jimmy and a repomndedvav
Confused Head Scratch GIF by State Farm

He was just painfully uncomfortable. They wanted to see his Fruit & Nut tattoo and he was like ‘Nah’. I personally enjoyed his honesty and complete disregard of media training…but I’m sure it was awkward viewing for most people.
I got the impression that they wanted to take the p1ss out of Libba. Of course they underestimated him, and got comprehensively owned by him instead. One of the errors it is easy to make if you just go by first impressions. They won't be rushing to interview him again.

Round 20 v Geelong sat night
Round 21 v Freo sat twilight
Round 23 vs GWS - Saturday 1:45.

The freo one I’m disappointed about. Should be prime time.

Round 20 v Geelong sat night
Round 21 v Freo sat twilight
Round 23 vs GWS - Saturday 1:45.

The freo one I’m disappointed about. Should be prime time.
Cats/Saints and Pies/Demons are better marquee matchups for the Friday & Saturday night. We've had a good commercial run this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recreational drugs affect on field performance though. Local footballers who have taken drugs before a game practically bragged to me that they felt indestructible out on the field and played with a ridiculous amount of confidence. That just isn't fair on other players.

I know Smith took drugs in the off season, but I still don't think it's a good look and agree with the AFL on this one.
Yea but they were more than likely on ice which turns you into a psychotic zombi with the strength of 3 men - cocaine just makes you sober and arrogant.

Me too. Plus I don’t mind Saturday twilight - if I’m going I can take the kids without ending up home after midnight, if I’m at home it’s an acceptable time to start drinking.

As long as the footy is on, anytime is an acceptable time to start drinking.

Ya gotta laugh. I got a text earlier this week offering the opportunity to be part of the guard of honour on the ground tomorrow night as the team runs out. So I replied in the affirmative, message said club would contact me Thursday to confirm. No calls from the club today, but two calls from a suspected spam number. Out of curiosity I looked up the number, it's a marketing company who make calls on behalf of sporting clubs, but many people have logged as a scam call. So I tried calling back - unattended. Just tried calling the club - membership dept only works 10am-4pm!

Looks like no guard of honour for us, which my daughter had set her heart on.

Obviously too hard for the club to make that call directly I guess, because, you know, it's only members involved.

Glad my 49 years of membership counts for something.

Ya gotta laugh. I got a text earlier this week offering the opportunity to be part of the guard of honour on the ground tomorrow night as the team runs out. So I replied in the affirmative, message said club would contact me Thursday to confirm. No calls from the club today, but two calls from a suspected spam number. Out of curiosity I looked up the number, it's a marketing company who make calls on behalf of sporting clubs, but many people have logged as a scam call. So I tried calling back - unattended. Just tried calling the club - membership dept only works 10am-4pm!

Looks like no guard of honour for us, which my daughter had set her heart on.

Obviously too hard for the club to make that call directly I guess, because, you know, it's only members involved.

Glad my 49 years of membership counts for something.

That's interesting. I got that text too & accepted, but just assumed others got in before me.

I reakon I've had these other years - maybe even earlier this year.

Anyway, I didn't think of the scam angle - would be good to know.

That's interesting. I got that text too & accepted, but just assumed others got in before me.

I reakon I've had these other years - maybe even earlier this year.

Anyway, I didn't think of the scam angle - would be good to know.
I don't think it actually is a scam, but because that marketing company harass other people related to other sporting clubs, enough people flag the number as scam activity, so end users like me get "Suspected scam" on my phone.

My issue is more WTF can't the club actually call me from a recognisable club number, or even the marketing company leave a ******** voicemail to say what it's about?

Given they have a names and numbers database in excess of 70 current and lapsed members.

I think its pretty safe to assume that its not a scam, just a bit of data harvesting.

Expect lots of phone calls as you sit down to dinner.

One of the greatest moments in recorded history. One day, when the human race is no more, and this planet is inhabited only by invertebrates, a celestial traveller will touch down, and seeing a cave opening where Footscray used to be, enter and hold up a light. On the cave wall will be this drawing:

View attachment 1428695
That would make a great tattoo.

I don't think it actually is a scam, but because that marketing company harass other people related to other sporting clubs, enough people flag the number as scam activity, so end users like me get "Suspected scam" on my phone.

My issue is more WTF can't the club actually call me from a recognisable club number, or even the marketing company leave a ******** voicemail to say what it's about?

Yeah, I just don't like the club giving details out to contractors for anything as they end up on phone lists. Like a couple of competitions that have come out under the club banner, but you have to sign up or whatever. I don't bother.

Son of the West

With three ‘snags’, [PLAYERCARD]Rhylee West[/PLAYERCARD] is starting to look at home in the Dogs forward line. Picture: Getty Images

With three ‘snags’, Rhylee West is starting to look at home in the Dogs forward line. Picture: Getty Images
Thirteen months ago Bulldogs great Scott West labelled the club’s management of his son Rhylee as “disgraceful” in a Facebook post.

The post was deleted, but not before it turned into a red, white and blue brouhaha.

All of that seems a million years ago now after West Jr played his sixth consecutive game for the Dogs on Friday — and his 18th overall — to produce the best performance of his AFL career to date.

West kicked three “snags” — as he called them on Channel 7 — from 19 disposals, with his coach Luke Beveridge praising his “outstanding” contribution to his team’s strong victory over Hawthorn.

The soon-to-be 22-year-old is starting to look at home in the Bulldogs’ team, providing relentless forward pressure, good goal sense and some cameo midfield minutes in the absence of Bailey Smith.

Just like his dad, he is clean below his knees and can find the footy.

On Friday, three Dogs each had at least 10 contested possessions, five tackles and 10 score involvements — the first two were the usual suspects in Marcus Bontempelli and Tom Liberatore; West was the other one.

He has been a welcome addition to an attack that is starting to look a little less reliant on Aaron Naughton.

Beveridge would have been delighted to see 12 individual goalkickers, with Josh Schache and Jamarra Ugle-Hagen having more of an influence and West and Cody Weightman providing forward pressure.

Multiple hundreds, future challenges

Jack Macrae made it 100 30-plus possession games for the Dogs on Friday night. Picture: Michael Klein

Jack Macrae made it 100 30-plus possession games for the Dogs on Friday night. Picture: Michael Klein
It was a night of hundreds for the Bulldogs on Friday night, but it will be the next six weeks against top eight sides that will determine their fate.

Let’s start with the 100’s.

Luke Beveridge became the first Bulldogs coach in VFL-AFL history to register 100 wins; Jack Macrae made it 100 30-plus possession games from his 199 matches; and the Bulldogs registered three figures on the scoreboard for the fourth time in five weeks.

It was the second week in a row Bevo’s team kicked 19.11 (125), though the coach was frustrated the Hawks scored seven last-term majors.

But let’s cut to what comes next to show us whether this Bulldogs outfit has a chance of a serious tilt at a flag or whether it is a middle-of-the-road side.

The road ahead for the next six weeks is tough, starting with Brisbane at the Gabba on Thursday, then Sydney (SCG), St Kilda (Marvel), Melbourne (Marvel), Geelong (GMHBA) and Fremantle (Marvel).

Let’s see what’s under the hood, Bulldogs!

I think there's a bit of exaggeration going on with West. There's an opinion that he should have been in the team from day dot. Fuelled by the comments from his father. But were the coaches wrong in making him strive to be a more well-rounded player before a promotion? They knew what they were looking for from him and now he's capable of delivering. I see a huge improvement from when he first played seniors and it's a credit to him that he's put in the work, but also credit to the coaches for getting this out of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back