Review Geelong beat tiggers by 3 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll help you get some perspective. Geelong gets 9 x genuine home games a season that involves significant home ground advantage …. at a ground you train at and teams rarely play at. And it’s dimensions are unlike any other ground so it’s foreign to every team who visits - it’s no coincidence you win 90+ % of games played there. MCG tenants get 4-5 genuine home games a season. A home game against Essendon, Carlton, Richmond, Melbourne, Hawthorn, Collingwood provide no home ground advantage. And a home game against Roos, Cats etc… it’s minimal as teams play at the MCG all the time.

And MCG teams don’t train on the ground.

I can understand the frustration of playing a home game against Richmond at the MCG. But do Essendon complain when they play Richmond in Dreamtime at the G as a home game? Or Anzac Day against the Pies at the MCG as a home game ?

Cats get 9 x games a season with a huge home ground advantage other Victorian based teams don’t get. Then you get 7-8 x games at a mixture of MCG and Marvel, which provide very minimal disadvantage. So please don’t think you’re hard done by overall during the H&A season as it’s just not true.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Kardinia Park is 9m longer and 22m narrower than the MCG, which is the widest of all football grounds.
It's not the shape of the ground that gives a team Home Ground Advantage. That is just an excuse.
The real advantage comes from playing in front of a home crowd. Which can influence umpires decisions.
This why the AFL policy is a mixture of neutral and home-town umpires from both clubs.
However when the Cats play at the MCG it is not uncommon for every umpire to come from Melbourne.
Even Cats home games at Kardinia Park against Melbourne based clubs it is standard for every umpire to come from Melbourne.
It's perfectly fine and normal when it advantages your team... right?

If you can't see the umpiring disadvantage Cats face when playing Home Games at the MCG.
I’ll help you get some real perspective.
Imagine playing the Cats at the MCG with every umpiring official coming from Geelong.
To further ensure it real Cats home game, also limit the opposition supporters to max 40% of the crowd.
I'm sure you still think the shape and dimensions of the oval will be a huge bonus and biggest influence on the game.
Yeah! Right!.... the melts would be epic and the whining never ending.

I just don't see the point of getting salty. Accident and player injuries happen all the time. Umpires are s**t every game, yes some teams get the rub of the green but that's just the nature of the beast. If anything should be scrutinized from the game it should be why play wasn't stopped when Prestia went down. Very ordinary. Really the only blemish on what was a fantastic game of football
I agree.

If I was a Richmond fan though I would be asking why my trainers and doctors didn’t call for the stretcher for Prestia. He was clearly in a bad way and I would have thought that the safest option for him would be to get him off via the cart. If the stretcher isn’t called it is very difficult for an umpire to know how serious the injury is, and in our game play is not stopped for all injuries. It sucks when your team is in the wrong end of this but it happens to all teams at some point.

And Hawkins giving away a dumb free when he marked dead in front.
Correct, I forgot about that one.

If he kicked 4 goals including the match winner after a massive contested grab, (and also set up at least one other) he likely would have been considered among the votes.

I wouldn't say that, we have a favourable draw only playing Brisbane and Fremantle in Melbourne from the top 8 teams for remainder of year. We should realistically only drop 1 maybe 2 games at best for rest of season. Still a slight chance of top 4 but that will depend on some results going our way. Think we finish 6-8 and no one will want to play us in a final. The start of our season and Dimma trying to play a different way may be the difference in how we finish up though bad losses to the Crows and St Kilda will hurt.

I saw a lot of bickering on the main page and couldn't believe it. It was a dog act from Stewart but in fairness it was out of character for him and he will cop his whack but I could not believe people complain about everything from umpires to send off rules and then saying we where missing X X and X I say who cares. Both groups of supporters got treated to one of the best games of footy in such a long time. It was a very high skilled game and there were so many great battles across the ground De Koning vs Lynch stood out, Taz blanketing Hawkins, Stewart had a cracking game, Blicavs and Pickett had a great battle on the win, Baker was huge in the comeback but Cameron and Atkins really drove Geelong in that last quarter. Stengle and Bolton had great small forward games and man that Rioli goal under pressure late followed up by an even better piece of play by Stengle and Henry with that mark it was exciting and tense footy. Been screaming out for a game like that for so long and our clubs delivered. Riewoltd and Hawkins both blanketed to almost invisible and some key players out for both sides. Melbourne are on top for a reason but give me your mob, Carlton and my mob over any of the top 8 sides in terms of who at their best play the best footy.

Hope we see you in September at some stage because we know it will be a cracking game. Well done on the win.
No it wasn't a 'dog act' at all. If you're going to come on an opposition board and use feral jargon it won't end well.

Dog acts are those acts that deliberately try and injure a player ... Eg being Barry Hall.

Stewart's was a error of judgement with no intent whatsoever to injure Prestia.

Don't let your emotions get the better of what was otherwise a good post.

One of the funniest things to me from Saturday’s game was the look on Grimes’s face after Henry took the mark just before kicking the winning goal. Grimes was looking around and seemed to be thinking “is it too late for me to dive for a free kick?”
The one where he dived after Henry took the mark was embarrassing... And he received the free kick.

For an outstanding defender, he needs to eradicate that from his game.

Jack Riewoldt should retire effective immediately. No denying that he is a club legend and has contributed to the teams success. The last few weeks he hasn't been even competed in a contest. He can't jump for the ball. At ground level he is slow. Unfortunately, all the years of playing at the highest level with all the knocks etc has taken its toll on a weary body. It's time to inject some youth and some energy. Thanks for all your service and devotion to the club, but it's time to acknowledge that you are no longer playing at the desired level. Would much rather have seen Chol or Coleman Jones start the season instead.
That is a bit harsh IMO, he looked ok when he jumped on our guys heads and took that hanger late in the game, the one that wasn't paid because Tom Lynch is a dickhead

LOL

One of the funniest things to me from Saturday’s game was the look on Grimes’s face after Henry took the mark just before kicking the winning goal. Grimes was looking around and seemed to be thinking “is it too late for me to dive for a free kick?”
I actually thought at the time he was looking at the umpire expecting a free kick, almost pleading for it knowing he had been beaten cold

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The content of the paragraph is also important. In Bobby's case, it's always the same sentiment: Geelong are s**t.
Early days it was the exact opposite, arrogantly dismissing anyone that was negative and over the top positive, then a loss to Hawthorn fried his brain and he has been a miserable sack of s**t since

Early days it was the exact opposite, arrogantly dismissing anyone that was negative and over the top positive, then a loss to Hawthorn fried his brain and he has been a miserable sack of s**t since
That's often the way a troll ingratiates themselves in an online community. It starts by affirming the community's shared values and, once accepted as a member, gets to work denigrating and disrupting those values (The GFC in the case of this board). The troll 'BlightyCats' had the same positive start, followed by the decisive 'turn' to unrelenting negativity, misrepresentations, hyperbole, and monopolisation of the discussion.

That's often the way a troll ingratiates themselves in an online community. It starts by affirming the community's shared values and, once accepted as a member, gets to work denigrating and disrupting those values (The GFC in the case of this board). The troll 'BlightyCats' had the same positive start, followed by the decisive 'turn' to unrelenting negativity, misrepresentations, hyperbole, and monopolisation of the discussion.
I think you are overestimating the thinking of the poster in question to be honest

The one where he dived after Henry took the mark was embarrassing... And he received the free kick.

For an outstanding defender, he needs to eradicate that from his game.
I need to watch it again. But on only one viewing it looked like Hawkins arms were already outstretched and it was just his wrists that sent Grimes flying. :)

For the second time this year Geelong has fought back from a final quarter deficit to win a thriller at the MCG on a milestone occasion.

The first came in Round 3 when the Cats overcame a 30-point deficit to defeat Collingwood on a night where Joel Selwood became the most capped skipper in the history of our game.

On that occasion 19-year-old Max Holmes was named in the best and again last night it was Geelong’s younger brigade that helped overturn a 17-point final term deficit to record a thrilling three-point victory in Jeremy Cameron’s 200th game.

Chris Scott highlighted post-game game that this is a different side but one very much with the self belief that we've been accustomed too during his tenure as senior coach.

"We are a different team to the one we were even a couple of years ago and I think we will be different again by the end of the year, but we are building a bit of depth in there and it gives us enough confidence that if nothing else, if the game is going against us, we are not going to turn up our toes," Scott said post-game.

Four of Geelong’s top five ranked players on the ground were developing players with Tom Atkins, Tyson Stengle, Sam De Koning and Jack Henry each standing up in pivotal moments.

None more so than the match winning play when Atkins won the clearance, Stengle drove it deep inside 50 and Henry flew high to take an excellent mark and give the Cats the lead with a minute left on the clock.

Atkins set the tone for the Cats with his work ethic and relentless attack on the footy and opponent. He finished the game ranked first for centre clearances (6), pressure acts (29), ground ball gets (9) and equal first for Geelong (second overall) for contested possessions (13).

In his first game since Round 5, Henry impressed in his comeback for the Cats with two goals from 10 disposals after finding out he’d be starting in attack 20 minutes out from the first bounce after Gary Rohan fell ill in the warmup.

Stengle was another Cat who produced an eye-catching display in Geelong’s front half with three-goals from 18 disposals. The 23-year-old now has kicked at least three goals on seven occasions this season.

At the other end of the ground, De Koning had some nice moments too playing on one of the star key forwards in the competition in Tom Lynch. The 21-year-old had 12 intercept possessions and a team-high five spoils.

We've all been accustomed to watching the likes of Joel Selwood, Tom Hawkins, Patrick Dangerfield and Mitch Duncan own the big moments and know they will again, but to see the next generation of emerging players stand up in finals like intensity bodes well for what's to come this year and in the future.

Lovely review!

Close and Z Guthrie's last quarters deserve a mention too.
Close was in everything in the last, his running capacity and consistency this year should be commended.
He also swears that his snap from the pocket was a goal - to have kicked two in the last quarter would have been some performance by the youngster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back