Prediction Something special is brewing on the Gold Coast in 2022/23

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't wait to see what they can do with a fit Ben King. They're going to be a huge pain in the arse for the foreseeable future

Really clean isn't he, great kick as you said but I like his hands in the F50 too.
Surprised Hawkins isn't among that lot, but then he's been a little quiet over the past month while Cameron has turned it on.

Another good return from Mabior Chol today too; perfect 2nd KF/back-up ruckman.
Hawkins 7th.
1.08 goal assists per game.

(rankine 1.36, Petracca 1.31)

Today is probably the first time we've been in a genuine 50/50 away game while in the race for a top 8 spot. It's the type of game that answers a lot of questions about whether your players are up for the challenge of chasing a finals berth. Port Adelaide are in the same position in terms of the ladder so if either team can't get up for this game then that says a lot.

Theoretically, we can enter the top 8 with a big win today but I highly doubt we're going give Port a 10+ goal bath on their home deck. The prospect of a spot in the top 8 will have to wait until at least next week when we face the Pies at Metricon on Saturday night.

Today is probably the first time we've been in a genuine 50/50 away game while in the race for a top 8 spot. It's the type of game that answers a lot of questions about whether your players are up for the challenge of chasing a finals berth. Port Adelaide are in the same position in terms of the ladder so if either team can't get up for this game then that says a lot.

Theoretically, we can enter the top 8 with a big win today but I highly doubt we're going give Port a 10+ goal bath on their home deck. The prospect of a spot in the top 8 will have to wait until at least next week when we face the Pies at Metricon on Saturday night.
So have these questions been answered? Not a bad effort considering the players we had out.

So have these questions been answered? Not a bad effort considering the players we had out.
I think we answered a lot of questions yesterday about our finals prospects. We did everything you'd like to see a team do other than secure the four points but we're clearly able to perform in the hostile away environments while our season is on the line.

Hand up. I didn't think they could perform at the level they are with Chol and Casboult, they've been 1st class. Really excited for the rest of the season and onto 2023 for them.

Also I think they'll be able to attract an elite talent now, players will want to get in on what's building.

I don't personally believe in such thing as an 'Admirable loss' in sport, but last night's game was a true quality matchup and I'd hate to see the Suns losing any supporters after how far they pushed us at a venue they've had a nightmare record at. The ambition to take the game on though quick passages of play & ability to brake opposition tackles is at least finals worthy on paper.

With that said, history tells us that the Suns tend to run out of steam in the July / August period, so the next 2 games against Collingwood & Richmond will tell us a lot.

I don't personally believe in such thing as an 'Admirable loss' in sport, but last night's game was a true quality matchup and I'd hate to see the Suns losing any supporters after how far they pushed us at a venue they've had a nightmare record at. The ambition to take the game on though quick passages of play & ability to brake opposition tackles is at least finals worthy on paper.

With that said, history tells us that the Suns tend to run out of steam in the July / August period, so the next 2 games against Collingwood & Richmond will tell us a lot.
Credit to Port. They brought top pressure for the whole game and had DE efficiency 10% higher.

Again, Suns had a slow start and did not convert opportunities similar to a lot of games this year. Ainsworth and Rankine are approaching AA quality. Ben still has to improve his set shots.

Team is maturing and looks hungry for success. I don't expect fade out as physically they look in good shape although injuries keep happening. It was the oldest line-up of the season, 25 years and 2 months but still inexperienced (79 games per player).

So far this season, I would say Suns were off only in one game (against GWS). Enjoyable to watch, finally.

They’d be gutted losing yesterday and rightly so.

Golden opportunity blown.

However they are still a chance at the 8 this year and next year primed to make a big jump up the ladder to at least top 6 and possibly top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No team has been playing for their coach more than the Suns have been this year under Dew. You can tell they are united, their body language is good and they are all collectively on the same page. Hope they can make it.
Definitely proved that tonight. Dewy wrote 'We're not trying' on the whiteboard at halftime and got an unbelievable response to come back from a 40 point deficit and snatch it to keep the season alive. Unreal!

Definitely proved that tonight. Dewy wrote 'We're not trying' on the whiteboard at halftime and got an unbelievable response to come back from a 40 point deficit and snatch it to keep the season alive. Unreal!

Stoked to see the club back Dew in for another 2 years.

Great win tonight, made Richmond look like pretenders. Massive fan of Noah Anderson's and tonight only made me appreciate him more.

May or may not scrape into the 8 this year, but can see them have a Dockers type surge up the ladder next season.

Finally have the combination of elite talent, enough games into young players and a sustainable gameplan that’s going to allow them to put some decent sides to the sword.

They were also missing Rankine who has been one of their prime movers over the past month. Incredible talent.

For the first time ever, they seem like a legitimate club and not just some basket case franchise with no soul. Hopefully with some success, they can get a full house to games. They have more chance than GWS does in this regard due to Victorian expats, the holiday factor and the Queensland bandwagon tendency.

I feel that the 2019 draft where they got Rowell and Anderson is what will propel them to greater heights. Both are clutch and great leaders and that’s rare to find in a young team that don’t have the foundation of other clubs.

Also credit to Miller & Witts who are both a graders but stepped up and commuted to the team in the wake of losing Lynch & May. While it’s widely known I feel it doesn’t get the attention it deserves but those 2 have just been amazing their commitment to the club and that’s been reflected in the young players to commit.

Can’t wait to see what Rowell, King, Anderson, Rankine, Luko, Ballard, Bowes, Powell, Chol will do when they string 50 games together as the a grade young talent.

Gold Coast officially have the mathematical opportunity to enter the top 8 tomorrow if they win by enough against Essendon.

Port Adelaide is in the same boat but face the Demons so I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Bit of an anticlimactic end to the season for the Suns unfortunately.

I've been on the bandwagon for a couple of seasons and was encouraged by them for much of 2022.

But after winning 5 of their 6 games from Rounds 8-14 they've since struggled for consistency and haven't strung together consecutive wins.

They have an opportunity for a soft kill against North to finish up the season with 10 wins, which will equal their best ever tally of wins in a season (= with 2014).

Their co-captains in Witts and Miller have been absolutely huge in 2022 and both should be pressing their claims for AA honors; strong leaders is exactly what this team needed and they have stepped up big time.

But the depth has been tested and found a little wanting.

Casboult and Chol looked a surprisingly strong KF combo in the absence of Ben King, and down back their key defenders in Collins and Ballard were generally very good until Ballard unfortunately succumbed to injury.

Wil Powell was a big loss, he was in ripping form off a back flank before he went down with a career-threatening injury.

Of their potential young guns it's been a mixed bag.

Noah Anderson is one of the comp's best players under 22, and Izaak Rankine's development in a tricky position has been very encouraging (hopefully they can retain him).

But Matt Rowell has plateaued pretty dramatically given he was vaunted as the best thing since sliced bread, and despite being gifted plenty of opportunities Alex Davies has only been so-so at best. Jack Lukosius is a bit of a nothing player; decent skills and aerobic capacity but no real grunt or grit to his game.

Can they improve in 2023? Can they lure another mature-aged player or two like Mabior Chol to bolster the young core? Miller and Anderson need more support, hopefully Rowell can take another step forward next year to assist in that area.

Suns fans; content with 2022? Slightly pleasantly surprised? A bit disappointed?

If we get the win this weekend and get our % above 100% then it will be our best season. (by the finest of margins).

There were some missed opportunities to take out our first finals spot but I think most of the general AFL public figured we would finish bottom 4 this year.

Having a look at the predictions thread for the first 100 entries (yes I have nothing better to do).

The median position was 15th spot, the mean was 14.4 and the mode 18 (the average was pushed up by a couple of high placed predictions including Billy ray who put us as 1st)

If we get the win this weekend and get our % above 100% then it will be our best season. (by the finest of margins).

There were some missed opportunities to take out our first finals spot but I think most of the general AFL public figured we would finish bottom 4 this year.

Having a look at the predictions thread for the first 100 entries (yes I have nothing better to do).

The median position was 15th spot, the mean was 14.4 and the mode 18 (the average was pushed up by a couple of high placed predictions including Billy ray who put us as 1st)
I was a tad optimistic 🥹

Hope you keep Rankine, that flippy spinny flippy goal was something special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back