Preview Geelong V North, Sat 2 July 2022 @ KP 7:25 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether you rate Sav or not, he's clearly viewed as best 25 material by the coaches. Hawkins seemed a bit off on Saturday and we want him as fresh as possible with Dees and Blues around the corner. I think Hawkins rested for Sav is close to a certainty.
It would be nice to give Shannon Neale a game but I believe Sav will get the nod and Shannon will go home end of year.

Sav?

Ugh.

Having watched the vast majority of the game yesterday, Ratugolea's intent was good and you could see him wanting to get involved

But he still just looked a good way off being ready for a senior recall - first quarter he took a mark just outside the 50m & had an opportunity for an open handball to a teammate running into the 50m. You could see him trying to think his way through how to execute the play, and rather than handballing directly to his teammate or at least putting it in a position for his teammate to run onto, he put too much onto it & too far in front that it went over the boundary line and we wasted an inside 50 opportunity

I compare that to what we saw from SDK in the last quarter against Collingwood - SDK goes forward, has quick hands & just looked like a natural footballer. Meanwhile Ratugolea looks like an athlete still leaning the feel of the game at various times - he's almost better when he doesn't have time to think about what needs to be done and just plays on instinct

His good was good yesterday, the intent was positive (and better than what he was recalled on when he made his senior debut last year), and in the last when we weren't going so well, he did try to take some responsibility as a senior player & put himself in as the centre ruck to add some experience in there as we were getting smashed around the contest

But I didn't see enough from him to say he should be recalled to the seniors, and also looked like he could use a few more weeks in the VFL to build his match fitness - as I said, the intent was there but you could also see the repeat efforts taking their toll; he ran 60m to get involved defensively, but then on the next passage he was sucking in the big ones; hard to be too critical of that, but you could see he would benefit from an opportunity to build match fitness

Whether you rate Sav or not, he's clearly viewed as best 25 material by the coaches. Hawkins seemed a bit off on Saturday and we want him as fresh as possible with Dees and Blues around the corner. I think Hawkins rested for Sav is close to a certainty.

While Neale was a little quiet in the last quarter yesterday, I'd promote Neale to the seniors before Ratugolea - looks a more natural footballer, and watching him you could see the has an understanding & feel for the game that Ratugolea doesn't quite have

Hawkins didn't look right. I'd go something like:

Ins - Danger, Rohan, Stephens, Sav, Neale
Outs - Stewart, Hawkins, Stanley/Blicavs, 2x rest

With Ceglar still not fit Sav is the only realistic ruck replacement so give him a game to ensure he's ready if needed. Get another game into Neale and Stephens. I'd even be tempted to give Dempsey another game but that might be resting 1 too many.

Having watched the vast majority of the game yesterday, Ratugolea's intent was good and you could see him wanting to get involved

But he still just looked a good way off being ready for a senior recall - first quarter he took a mark just outside the 50m & had an opportunity for an open handball to a teammate running into the 50m. You could see him trying to think his way through how to execute the play, and rather than handballing directly to his teammate or at least putting it in a position for his teammate to run onto, he put too much onto it & too far in front that it went over the boundary line and we wasted an inside 50 opportunity

I compare that to what we saw from SDK in the last quarter against Collingwood - SDK goes forward, has quick hands & just looked like a natural footballer. Meanwhile Ratugolea looks like an athlete still leaning the feel of the game at various times - he's almost better when he doesn't have time to think about what needs to be done and just plays on instinct

His good was good yesterday, the intent was positive (and better than what he was recalled on when he made his senior debut last year), and in the last when we weren't going so well, he did try to take some responsibility as a senior player & put himself in as the centre ruck to add some experience in there as we were getting smashed around the contest

But I didn't see enough from him to say he should be recalled to the seniors, and also looked like he could use a few more weeks in the VFL to build his match fitness - as I said, the intent was there but you could also see the repeat efforts taking their toll; he ran 60m to get involved defensively, but then on the next passage he was sucking in the big ones; hard to be too critical of that, but you could see he would benefit from an opportunity to build match fitness

He tries....I have no doubt about his intent and am pleased to hear it was on display.

I'm just not sure he has the 'natural' ability, the nous, for it to all flow for him. The thinking process just doesn't seem to happen fast enough for him, and he can't seem to get his timing right either.

The troubling thing for me is that I haven't seen any improvement in those areas, but hopefully it'll come.

While Neale was a little quiet in the last quarter yesterday, I'd promote Neale to the seniors before Ratugolea - looks a more natural footballer, and watching him you could see the has an understanding & feel for the game that Ratugolea doesn't quite have
Just don't trust Scott to promote Neale over Rata that would signal a seismic shift in his thinking.But we live in hope.

Hawkins didn't look right. I'd go something like:

Ins - Danger, Rohan, Stephens, Sav, Neale
Outs - Stewart, Hawkins, Stanley/Blicavs, 2x rest

With Ceglar still not fit Sav is the only realistic ruck replacement so give him a game to ensure he's ready if needed. Get another game into Neale and Stephens. I'd even be tempted to give Dempsey another game but that might be resting 1 too many.
Unless Stanley is carrying injury I wouldn't be resting him. He's already had a decent break this year.

Outs: Stewart; Hawkins
Ins: Danger, Rohan

Zac Guthrie to assume Stewart's role across HBF. Henry back into defence, and Rohan forward.

On Saturday night we had a storm to a lead, fall behind & kick a late goal win against a seemingly modern day rival in Richmond - but the vast majority of talk since the first quarter has been the poorly executed bump by Stewart & the endless discussion of how long he'll be spending on the sidelines

One thing that's been somewhat lost during that riveting discussion is that we actually have a match this coming Saturday when we return home to KP to face a team that seems inevitable to become the Tassie Kangaroos ;) in the coming years, but still North for now...

With their loss yesterday, North became the first team to lose 10 straight matches by 40+ points, with their closest losing margin over that streak being 47 points - so clearly a team not in good form, but also a team we don't want to take too lightly as this is a chance for a percentage booster if we put the foot down from the first bounce & don't let up, especially with a couple of tough matches ahead

We know for certain there'll be one change for the weekend with Stewart primed to go through a heavy training load while missing the next period of time, but who'll take his spot in the side - we keep hearing that Dangerfield is nearing a return, while Rohan missed on the weekend due to illness so would likely be in the frame to return if he's recovered...Do we take this opportunity to rest other potentially sore bodies and rotate a few alternative options through the seniors, or go hell for leather & give them nothing?

And thanks to Kingy, we know the answer to the important question as to what coloured shorts we'd be wearing

Calling north the tassie Roos is complete s**t stirring.
Actually, it’s pathetic.
You should be better than this but you obviously aren’t.

Change the effing heading!

Unless Stanley is carrying injury I wouldn't be resting him. He's already had a decent break this year.

Outs: Stewart; Hawkins
Ins: Danger, Rohan

Zac Guthrie to assume Stewart's role across HBF. Henry back into defence, and Rohan forward.
Your happy to risk the Dangerfield calf after this prolonged spell with 2 games in 6 days?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your happy to risk the Dangerfield calf after this prolonged spell with 2 games in 6 days?
I didn't realise we play 2 games in 6 days.

I was going to say Danger's calf has to be "risked" at some point. Of course not knowing the extent of the injury makes it difficult to assess.

How far off is Parfitt? If he's fit then keep Danger on ice

Calling north the tassie Roos is complete s**t stirring.
Actually, it’s pathetic.
You should be better than this but you obviously aren’t.

Change the effing heading!

Chill, it's a bit of fun - just like a few weeks ago when the thread title referred to the "dish lickers", or when we reference playing "Ninthmond"

I didn't realise we play 2 games in 6 days.

I was going to say Danger's calf has to be "risked" at some point. Of course not knowing the extent of the injury makes it difficult to assess.

How far off is Parfitt? If he's fit then keep Danger on ice

This was the update on Parfitt last week:

Brandan Parfitt, who suffered a broken hand against the Western Bulldogs pre-bye, has begun to up his running loads in recent days.

“Brandan is progressing through his reconditioning program, with an increased running volume focus, whilst his hand remains in a splint for the short term.”

Would think he's no chance until the splint is removed - crossing fingers he'll be ok to go against Melbourne, or Carlton

I'd be giving Danger another week off, asking for trouble playing 2 games in 6 days especially with a calf.

I think this is also the game to rest Selwood, he is due to play his 350th vs Port Adelaide so give him a rest now and he can play it at home.

Don't mind Neale in for Hawk if he needs it.

A smith or 2E could also have a rest for Stephens.

Chill, it's a bit of fun - just like a few weeks ago when the thread title referred to the "dish lickers", or when we reference playing "Ninthmond"

Rubbish. How about you drop the word ‘we’ btw.

s**t stirring at work is fine, social media is a different animal.
How many clubs do you want to hate us?
Hate lasts decades at AFL level and I don’t deserve to be a part of your stupid OP.

Go look in the mirror. You are representing us with that OP.
If you look in the mirror and can’t see it then quit and set us free.

When was the last time Hawkins was rested?

I think they will be a touch nervous leaving Selwood, Hawkins out, with Stewart and possibly Danger missing but they really need a rest.

So very likely we will see Higgins and Esava, not Neale and Dempsey.

Out: Hawkins, Selwood, Stewart
In: Esava, Higgins, Stephens

I think Rohan will need a VFL run, he has not had much football.

Rubbish. How about you drop the word ‘we’ btw.

s**t stirring at work is fine, social media is a different animal.
How many clubs do you want to hate us?
Hate lasts decades at AFL level and I don’t deserve to be a part of your stupid OP.

Go look in the mirror. You are representing us with that OP.
If you look in the mirror and can’t see it then quit and set us free.
I'm not a fan of it either. It's stopping to Richmond levels of immaturity.

He hasn’t played many worse games than he did on Saturday. Time for a freshen.
The delivery didn't help and Richmond had someone stationed in front of him the entire game so he was virtually playing on two players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back