Autopsy Round 15, 2022: Sydney v St.Kilda

Apr 12, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
The failed messiah complex. No wonder we will never win a flag with this attitude.
You have a very short memory Joffa

lenny130317-1.jpg

Apr 12, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yes, that's the take I got out of listening to Lethlean this morning.

He said our early season form was exaggerated and we weren't actually playing that well early .... only playing well in patches.

Then said that Ratten hadn't actually been re-signed yet. Talks still taking place.

Which again is more contradictions to all the information given up to this morning.

At least we are hearing the "true" story from Lethlean now ..... or true at the time of writing.

We were so lucky early season. Tigers were pumping us until Grimes went off injured, then King ran amok and we got on a roll (no Dusty either)

Similarly, Freo had us under control until Darcy went off injured, we then managed to just get on top.

The one and only game we really dominated was v Hawks (from memory, Ratten watched that from his loungeroom 🤔)

Riewoldt was right a few weeks ago, any club (outside the top few) that does not enquire about Clarko is negligent in their duty. We should be throwing everything at getting him. Additional cost will be covered by additional membership / sponsorship.

We were so lucky early season. Tigers were pumping us until Grimes went off injured, then King ran amok and we got on a roll (no Dusty either)

Similarly, Freo had us under control until Darcy went off injured, we then managed to just get on top.

The one and only game we really dominated was v Hawks (from memory, Ratten watched that from his loungeroom 🤔)

Riewoldt was right a few weeks ago, any club (outside the top few) that does not enquire about Clarko is negligent in their duty. We should be throwing everything at getting him. Additional cost will be covered by additional membership / sponsorship.
Listen to what Lethlean said about the soft cap.

It's not about whether or not we can afford to pay Clarko it's about what we would lose by having less available in the cap to pay assistants etc.

Additional membership/sponsorship does not; can not; increase what is allowed to be paid under either the soft cap or the players salary cap.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think he is just a frustrated St.Kilda supporter, I don't believe anything he is doing on Twitter is having any impact on the club. He is entitled to say whatever he wants on his platform, and I agree with some of what he says too. But I think if you really wanted to help the club you would. He can do much more than get on Twitter and complain but I think he chooses not to...which is fine but it just makes the whole thing (his comments, attitude, etc) kind of pointless to me. He's not doing anything with the ideas he has for the club.
I think most of the club executive would be very afraid of letting GT in the door. I would imagine he wouldn't be allowed to help even if he wanted.

I think most of the club executive would be very afraid of letting GT in the door. I would imagine he wouldn't be allowed to help even if he wanted.
Yeah you may be right but I would trust a person like Bassat would at least listen to different opinions. I doubt he fears GT or any outside noise for that matter, he seems a pretty steadfast operator. I forget now and you may remember but didn't GT approach Bassat before the start of the season? Separate to the dentist's application to the board. I vaguely remember Bassat mentioning he and GT had spoke at length about the club?

Edit - Yes it looks like they did meet back late last year;

MordySaint

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah you may be right but I would trust a person like Bassat would at least listen to different opinions. I doubt he fears GT or any outside noise for that matter, he seems a pretty steadfast operator. I forget now and you may remember but didn't GT approach Bassat before the start of the season? Separate to the dentist's application to the board. I vaguely remember Bassat mentioning he and GT had spoke at length about the club?

Edit - Yes it looks like they did meet back late last year;

Yes, I remember this. An informal chat at a coffee shop in Moorabbin... unless I'm mistaken.

Yes, I remember this. An informal chat at a coffee shop in Moorabbin... unless I'm mistaken.
Possibly, not sure exactly where but they did catch up a few times late last year by the look of it. Bassat built himself a billion dollar company and I'm sure part of that was listening to opinions he may disagree with. I trust him to take action and steer the ship if it's going off course.

Sep 15, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
Its funny how people went to automatic attack GT mode and don't bother addressing whether the statement he made has merit or not. Guess that's the "power" of the internet.

For those who want to discuss it - what started it off was that GT said that he thought that "strategy" and "analysis" was being put ahead "commitment" and "effort" as the fundamental non negotiable's.

After the performance against Essendon and Sydney - I think he has a point.

Discuss (or abuse GT) whichever rocks your boat!!!

I'm attacking this messiah complex many seem to have with GT. Not arguing against his points.
People seem to think he was the messiah that was just plain unlucky.

The fact we don't have a flag in either 04/05 with the list we had says it all.
I'd nearly argue that compared line by line against the 09/10 squads it was the better. The bottom six of 04/05 was a lot better than 09/10.

Yet many will say we want him back. That's what I have issue with.

MordySaint

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Possibly, not sure exactly where but they did catch up a few times late last year by the look of it. Bassat built himself a billion dollar company and I'm sure part of that was listening to opinions he may disagree with. I trust him to take action and steer the ship if it's going off course.

I also remember him having meetings with Nick Riewoldt to ask him to join the board.

Now that would have been a great acquisition :)

I also remember him having meetings with Nick Riewoldt to ask him to join the board.

Now that would have been a great acquisition :)
That's what kind of frustrates me. We have so many great St.Kilda people, we could turn the whole club around so quickly if they all worked together. However part of me also feels like they aren't and shouldn't feel obliged to do that and we have to learn to stand on our own two feet. We are doing that off-field now thankfully but the on-field has to follow.

borderbarry

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2006
Wodonga
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have been moaning for a long time about the lack of S.Kilda personnal in our coaching ranks Plenty of ex st.kilda players have been picked up by other clubs, such as X-Man at Richmond, Jason Cripps at Port. but I cant think of any other clubs without ex-players among their coaches. (Except of course the new clubs who have no ex players to choose from).

MordySaint

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
That's what kind of frustrates me. We have so many great St.Kilda people, we could turn the whole club around so quickly if they all worked together. However part of me also feels like they aren't and shouldn't feel obliged to do that and we have to learn to stand on our own two feet. We are doing that off-field now thankfully but the on-field has to follow.

This is where my quandary lies.

If GT comes with a more decent ticket than just his dentist, then the question needs to be asked.

Until that time comes, all of this is just hearsay.

Wasn't a myth at all. The Monash thing was a travesty, he experimented with soft tissue injuries and our list was plagued with them because of this.

Lyon said when he got their he was appalled at the level of condition and in his parlance the whole list required 'meat and potatoes' on his players. needed the whole of 07 to get them fit. We were down to 26 fit players v the Hawks early in 07.

When is the spill happening, is it headed by GT? That would be hilarious.

I doubt GT has enough backers to mount a horse. It would have to come from someone else. Hopefully the passion hasn’t deserted enough that no one wants it any more.

Yep, costs more to aim low than go for the best. We are a scared organisation, afraid of aiming for the stars. We are like a dole bludger that dreams of a commission flat on the floor above. We have a very small vision. We celebrate have people in place that aren’t noticeably terrible and some still won’t let go of them. It’s like some form Stockholm syndrome.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep, costs more to aim low than go for the best. We are a scared organisation, afraid of aiming for the stars. We are like a dole bludger that dreams of a commission flat on the floor above. We have a very small vision. We celebrate have people in place that aren’t noticeably terrible and some still won’t let go of them. It’s like some form Stockholm syndrome.
Or maybe instead of putting our entire soft cap into one messiah, we want to have a complete football department with strong people in every area.

sauce_head

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 24, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Some of my favourite years supporting the Saints was that GT period. He was a Guerra goal away from a GF and if Maguire hadn't have been smacked in the guts early v Swans in 05 who knows.

I will say he is not the man for any job now though and I don't think he wants to be involved much either. I will also say whilst I might agree with his views on the club, he is doing a disservice to the club by spreading these kinds of messages. I suspect if he cared enough he would do it internally/privately.

Edit - You were talking about Lethers or Rath I take it, lol. Apologies.
Good points. It was fun football. Free flowing and high scoring. If he had of had a defensive bone in his body he had the list to win a few. Shame.

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
what will I talk about if we finally become good?
I wouldn't concern myself about that. It's St.Kilda after all. By the time the team comes good, our admin will be in tatters, or Tassie will have joined and will receive eleventy thousand first round draft picks, plus a concession to take 4 of the best players from the top 4 performing Vic clubs. Because it's the AFL after all.
There will be a bounty of mind exploding things to complain about, and distract us from our own lives and the state of the world beyond our backyard.
We will be occupied enough.

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
dunno if anyone's read this yet and we're pretty sick to death of hearing about this awful game but HB for the Mongrel Punt ripped into our club with some pretty good analysis in this article

Back