What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there's a bit of exaggeration going on with West. There's an opinion that he should have been in the team from day dot. Fuelled by the comments from his father. But were the coaches wrong in making him strive to be a more well-rounded player before a promotion? They knew what they were looking for from him and now he's capable of delivering. I see a huge improvement from when he first played seniors and it's a credit to him that he's put in the work, but also credit to the coaches for getting this out of him.

In Bevo's presser, he also used the word unselfish or selfless or something like that when describing Riley. This has been discussed on here over and over and that has been the key difference. The penny has dropped and he is being rewarded. Good on him. He is excellent to watch.

In Bevo's presser, he also used the word unselfish or selfless or something like that when describing Riley. This has been discussed on here over and over and that has been the key difference. The penny has dropped and he is being rewarded. Good on him. He is excellent to watch.
That's interesting.

I'm not convinced he was an overly selfish player but that word has been used to describe him a lot after one or two incidents last year when he chose the wrong option. He was dropped soon after and has certainly served his time and changed his game.

Maybe Bevo was choosing his words carefully to try to dispel the cloud that seems to have hung over West since then?

That's interesting.

I'm not convinced he was an overly selfish player but that word has been used to describe him a lot after one or two incidents last year when he chose the wrong option. He was dropped soon after and has certainly served his time and changed his game.

Maybe Bevo was choosing his words carefully to try to dispel the cloud that seems to have hung over West since then?
Yeah I'm not sure if it was being selfish or over ambitious. Lots of the things Bont or Dusty do would look selfish if they didn't work out. I think he just had to realise what things he could and couldn't get away with at AFL level and when to play the percentages

That's interesting.

Yeah I'm not sure if it was being selfish or over ambitious. Lots of the things Bont or Dusty do would look selfish if they didn't work out. I think he just had to realise what things he could and couldn't get away with at AFL level and when to play the percentages
Think you're both on the money. Young aspiring mid comes in, feels the pressure given competition for spots, makes a couple of poor choices under pressure. Selfish? Probably, but more in the context of wanting to do the right thing clouded by perhaps a desire to also do the noticeable things. It's a fine line, but seems to have taken it on board, and now looks more polished, quicker to react and move the ball in field play.

Would be interesting to see what Scott thinks? Would he concede Bevo was right and the step back to VFL has given Rhylee the impetus to enhance his attitude and game? Maybe Scott was aware of Mitch Wallis and how his career has stalled, and the inferred pressure on sons of club legends, who knows.

Hopefully Rhylee's trajectory continues, and Scott's complaint is somewhat allayed.

Doesn’t fit with the popular narrative, but West could have done exactly what he’s doing now in our team last year. He wasn’t playing any differently at VFL level this year prior to getting a game to how he played last year. His VFL form probably wasn’t as good this year, if anything, as he was exceptional back half of 2021, before it shut down. He just needed a run of games at AFL level, like the others playing similar roles.

I thought getting brought in for the Richmond game and then dropped was extremely harsh. I wouldnt have been at all surprised, if he was OOC last year, to see him join Lipinski at the exit. Hopefully he wants to recommit.

Doesn’t fit with the popular narrative, but West could have done exactly what he’s doing now in our team last year. He wasn’t playing any differently at VFL level this year prior to getting a game to how he played last year. His VFL form probably wasn’t as good this year, if anything, as he was exceptional back half of 2021, before it shut down. He just needed a run of games at AFL level, like the others playing similar roles.

I thought getting brought in for the Richmond game and then dropped was extremely harsh. I wouldnt have been at all surprised, if he was OOC last year, to see him join Lipinski at the exit. Hopefully he wants to recommit.
I know I've said it before but it's instructive to see the supposed spuds who have come good (or at least become competent) when given an extended run at the seniors.

Gardner
West
McComb
Scott
Hannan

Maybe Schache too (although it's hardly been an extended run for him so far - let's hope it continues).

Gardner and McComb in particular were pilloried for being not AFL standard. Neither are going to be stars but they are at least able to play a useful role now. Last year it was Roarke Smith.

Selfish or not, I'm rapt that we now play a genuine team game, and that all players work within that parameter.

Over the years (decades?) we were known as a team of individuals who played for themselves and not each other. Result? Nothing...

For an old time Doggie it's such a relief to me that the "team comes first" ethic is mandatory.

Regardless of Westy's earlier games, selfish or not, he is playing within our system beautifully. Keep it up, son, and you're a permanent member of the side!

I know I've said it before but it's instructive to see the supposed spuds who have come good (or at least become competent) when given an extended run at the seniors.

Gardner
West
McComb
Scott
Hannan

Maybe Schache too (although it's hardly been an extended run for him so far - let's hope it continues).

Gardner and McComb in particular were pilloried for being not AFL standard. Neither are going to be stars but they are at least able to play a useful role now. Last year it was Roarke Smith.

It has been amazing seeing over the years how many players just miraculously turn from terrible to best 22 in a manner of weeks on here. The initial assessment wasn’t wrong, the player just changed. Happens multiple times every year. Very amusing.

Also, it’s the ability to play your role and follow instructions. I understand players have to meet key targets in their game and maybe he tended to try to play his own natural game when that was not what was wanted at that stage. All the players should know what’s required of them and Bevo wouldn’t tolerate players who don’t follow orders.

Schache has played 38 AFL games for us, including a run of eleven and another run of nine consecutive games. He has had extended runs by any reasonable measure. That he hasn't cemented himself in the team by now is not due to lack of opportunity.

Schache has played 38 AFL games for us, including a run of eleven and another run of nine consecutive games. He has had extended runs by any reasonable measure. That he hasn't cemented himself in the team by now is not due to lack of opportunity.
Maybe - as a tall player - was it lack of maturity? Or to put it another way, was he given the decent run of games before he could really benefit in the way some of those smaller players have?

He looked to have arrived late last year and many of us expected he’d stay in the side in 2022, probably as a KPD. But to the surprise of quite a few he started back in the VFL.

I don’t think we’ll know until we see whether his current solid form is sustained or not. Assuming he gets that chance.

It needs to be soon though. We can’t give him forever to discover his mojo (if he has one) and cement that spot.

Any chance the guys On the Couch could actually say one thing about the Bulldogs after a good comeback and dominant win?

Nope, not anything, in fact they spent more time talking about Hawthorn and didn’t even mention the Dogs other pointing out Crozier’s howler.

Mitch Lewis from Hawthorn was one their goods in Good Bad and Ugly. So hmmmmm pick two things out of the game to comment on and let’s say Mitch Lewis was awesome and Crozier was bad. When Libba put in one of the best displays of contested footy and Rhylee West had a break out game. What a waste of air that show is, pretty much every week really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, it’s the ability to play your role and follow instructions. I understand players have to meet key targets in their game and maybe he tended to try to play his own natural game when that was not what was wanted at that stage. All the players should know what’s required of them and Bevo wouldn’t tolerate players who don’t follow orders.

It’s Bevo’s coaching methodology.

Young
West
Williams
Lipinksi

All travelled similar paths.

Dale kind of also, but it took a positional change to fast track his development.

Pity Lipinski and Young took the selfish route and didn’t see the work through that the club was putting in.

I was surprised to see Schache is only 24. Seems like he’s been at the club for a while. Bodes well for him considering talls can take a while.

If he’s found his mojo, it’ll be huge for the team. Really hoping we see similar performances over the next few weeks.

Any chance the guys On the Couch could actually say one thing about the Bulldogs after a good comeback and dominant win?

Nope, not anything, in fact they spent more time talking about Hawthorn and didn’t even mention the Dogs other pointing out Crozier’s howler.

Mitch Lewis from Hawthorn was one their goods in Good Bad and Ugly. So hmmmmm pick two things out of the game to comment on and let’s say Mitch Lewis was awesome and Crozier was bad. When Libba put in one of the best displays of contested footy and Rhylee West had a break out game. What a waste of air that show is, pretty much every week really.
Shouldn’t be surprised stopped watching it after last year

After they opened the show last week (other than JDG) on Melbourne, on the week they had the bye, was the final nail for me. Best footy show going around, to just about the worse now.

Despite some encouraging recent signs I think the jury is still well and truly out on Schache. He has never shown the ability to take strong contested marks against good opponents and his part time ruck work is not very good.
Having said that, he seems to be playing the role of a tall, mobile half forward flanker at present and if he can keep building on that there may be a position in the team for him going forward. He will need to maintain this improvement or he may find himself relegated to the VFL again when Bruce returns.

Despite some encouraging recent signs I think the jury is still well and truly out on Schache. He has never shown the ability to take strong contested marks against good opponents and his part time ruck work is not very good.
Having said that, he seems to be playing the role of a tall, mobile half forward flanker at present and if he can keep building on that there may be a position in the team for him going forward. He will need to maintain this improvement or he may find himself relegated to the VFL again when Bruce returns.
His ruck work is so so. Though that's not really what we judge him on. Nor does he have to clunk marks. He's just got to contest. Play desperate. And then the things he does well will happen for him like reading the play, marking on leads and kicking goals. But the contest and desperation part is whats always held him back. You'd hope Naughts has rubbed off on him somewhat.

Re West I remember in the game against Richmond last year (which from memory sparked West Snr’s meltdown) he took a number of low percentage shots which didn’t come off. It might be simplistic to call it selfish but I think it’s pretty clear he was not doing what he was asked.

Considering his pedigree, the fact Bevo played with his dad and the reasonably good run he got early (ie final in his first season), I doubt it would have been an easy decision to leave him out of the side this long. Given how well he’s playing I think it’s vindication for the coaching staff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back