Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon Hodge is very good special comments, one of the very few modern footballers who can actually explain the modern game. Gives you more info in one game that you didn’t know than many others do in a year

Last night we had the brilliance of Jason Bennett, only to have to listen to Hamish and Jobe as well.
Did laugh when Ham talks about the debutant then carries on to explain his parents have never been to the MCG before and its his Dads bday

Is there any other sports caller anywhere in the world that adds so little value but consistently gets such high profile work?! Its embarrassing

Did laugh when Ham talks about the debutant then carries on to explain his parents have never been to the MCG before and its his Dads bday

Is there any other sports caller anywhere in the world that adds so little value but consistently gets such high profile work?! Its embarrassing
I think it may have been Bruce says that for all of hours of his preparation prior to an event only 1% of it gets used. Hamish would be the person who has others do the preparation and then use all the information that he has been given.

Hamish is obsessed with saying what school a player went to or who their parents are, could play a drinking game based on it.

Bugbear #lots.

I'm finding the boundary riders are far too verbose (Matthew Richardson a possible exception).

E.g. "(Player x) has come to the boundary with a possible problem to his left knee. I'll keep a close eye on him and report back if there's any further news."

The job IS to closely monitor and report, so viewers don't need to be constantly reminded.

Prefer them to be short and sharp - e.g. "(Player X) has come to the boundary. Possible left knee issue. (Player Y) has come on as a replacement."

Then go back to the boundary rider for any update when more is known.

I can't recall a worse commentator any time for any sport. Brayshaw is the pits.

See below.
I raise you Derrwayne who is easily a million times worse than anyone who has ever commentated a sport at any level anywhere in the world

That said Brayshaw is second worst, just he is a Flemington straight behind Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrwayne and third place is a very distant third place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I raise you Derrwayne who is easily a million times worse than anyone who has ever commentated a sport at any level anywhere in the world
100% agree with this. Derwayne is the worst I've ever heard on any sport. Worse than the bloke on ManUtd Tv even.

If my channel won the rights to FTA footy I would hire the following to call games and sack the rest

Jason Bennett, Hudson, Tim Lane, Adam Papalia, Alistair Nicholson and Matt Hill.

Special comments.. Hodge, Pearce, Bartel …..

Kate Loughlan and Sarah Jones as host

If my channel won the rights to FTA footy I would hire the following to call games and sack the rest

Jason Bennett, Hudson, Tim Lane, Adam Papalia, Alistair Nicholson and Matt Hill.

Kate Loughlan and Sarah Jones as host
Hudson is good if he is around the right people Otherwise he can get too sucked in with lame humour and sarcastic remarks.

Great choices.

And for each game max.4 - 2 callers, 1 on special comments, 1 boundary rider.

None of this current Ch7 crap where there has been 2 callers, 2 special comments and 2 on the boundary - all competing for airtime and often trying to 'one-up' their colleagues with smart-alec comments and the most inane, out-there statistic or 'fact'.

And ffs stop the, "great call Darce/BT/Hamish" etc. It's their friggin job....

Bugbear #lots.

I'm finding the boundary riders are far too verbose (Matthew Richardson a possible exception).

E.g. "(Player x) has come to the boundary with a possible problem to his left knee. I'll keep a close eye on him and report back if there's any further news."

The job IS to closely monitor and report, so viewers don't need to be constantly reminded.

Prefer them to be short and sharp - e.g. "(Player X) has come to the boundary. Possible left knee issue. (Player Y) has come on as a replacement."

Then go back to the boundary rider for any update when more is known.
This is all abbey Holmes (captain obvious) does

The worst part is that he recounts all these factoids as if the viewing public actually gives two s**** and as though he's dropping a Watergate-like bombshell.

His interviews with the Auskick kids are horrendous. I'm waiting for a kid to call him a condescending p****.

Daisy has a good feel for the game. Just takes way too long to get her message out. Needs to learn to make her observations with 50% less words.
Of all the special comments at present - I could listen to Daisy all day. Knows her footy inside out and back to front but yes - needs to reduce the message a bit to really step into the top level.

Carey sounds like he leans into the mike and makes a cliched comment before leaning back with a smug smile at his own insight.

Jeez that last quarter was terrible to listen to. Absolutely destroyed the life out of the game. Wouldn't have known it was within a couple goals had the score not been showing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back