Preview Changes: R16 vs Melbourne, Saturday July 2, 4.05pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s creating goals and not even hit his straps yet

One of the only guys that laces out teammates I50

That fend off handball to keays was also sublime for a goal

Keep
Imo, we need to get Newchurch into the side ASAP for one of McHenry or Milera.

I'm assuming Thilthorpe (or Gollant) coming in for McAdam.

He’s creating goals and not even hit his straps yet

One of the only guys that laces out teammates I50

That fend off handball to keays was also sublime for a goal

Keep
Yeah we just have to play him. Give him the rest of the year to get the games under his belt and get rid of the rust so he hits 2023 with continuity and confidence in his body.

Out: McAdam, Rowe, Hamill
In: Frampton, Worrell, Newchurch

Frampton: add some extra height in defence.
Worrell: Need to see what he can do
Newchurch: McAdam is injured, why not.

What is the hate for Rowe from some on this board? Far from our biggest problem. McHenry goes out before him everyday of the week

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What is the hate for Rowe from some on this board? Far from our biggest problem. McHenry goes out before him everyday of the week

To be fair I forgot McHenry.

I dont hate Rowe. He just is a stop gap player. He isnt the biggest problem right now but as we keep hitting the draft and trade table, I'd be surprised if he is anywhere near our best 22 in 2024.

To be fair I forgot McHenry.

I dont hate Rowe. He just is a stop gap player. He isnt the biggest problem right now but as we keep hitting the draft and trade table, I'd be surprised if he is anywhere near our best 22 in 2024.
No matter what you think of him he’s unlikely to get dropped after one of the better games he’s played - even if against north

they wont drop Ned this week. They will want his pressure against Melbourne.

His effort to pressure is regularly misplaced.

Saw it a bit v North.

Opposition player has the ball and a Crow runs at him, McHenry is nearby so he also charges at the ball carrier hoping for a gang tackle.

Before the first Crow gets to him, or even as that first Crow is starting a tackle, opposition player with the ball simply handballs over to an open team mate - the guy McHenry should be on - and away they go.

He’s not quick enough to use the limited tricks he does possess at AFL level, he’s not a great or long kick, sloppy by hands and not strong like a Caleb Daniel.

He ain’t making it. Next soldier up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can't accept ROB getting smashed every week. Jackson will destroy him with his athleticism and pace. At least Murray has a bloody good leap on him and will compete at centre bounces. Bring Frampton in for Murray down back.

Murray got 3 hit outs on the weekend?
Had good energy but not like he dominated in there. ROB had 36 hit outs, 10 to advantage.

Ins - Outs
Jones - Hamill... injured
Thilthorpe - McAdam... injured
Newchurch - Milera... it's time
Worrell - McHenry... it's about time.

B: Doedee, Butts, Parnell
HB: Jones, Murray, Worrell
C: Soligo, Keays, Dawson
HF: Thilthorpe, Walker, Rowe
F: Newchurch, Fogarty, Rachele
R: O'Brien, Schoenberg, Laird
I: Hinge, Hately, Smith, Berry

Milera 🤦🏻‍♂️
Newchurch yes but Milera stays in - building each week. We just need him to get more of the ball. 11 touches 5 score involvements 91% DE and no turnovers.
Could still become our best player if stays sound next year

Not wanting to have a crack at you in particular but the poor judgement of many of our players on this board astounds me

Milera 🤦🏻‍♂️
Newchurch yes but Milera stays in - building each week. We just need him to get more of the ball. 11 touches 5 score involvements 91% DE and no turnovers.
Could still become our best player if stays sound next year

Not wanting to have a crack at you in particular but the poor judgement of many of our players on this board astounds me

For me either Milera or McHenry should make way for Newchurch as we need to pick him when in form as we badly need to find a quality small forward.

The other option is Rachele but I would give him another game to come good given his upside.

Yes, Milera has an OK game, but the opponent was terrible & his body of work for the year has been amongst our worst.

Would love a few of our players get stuck into May this week at the opening bounce. Reckon he would be a chance to do something stupid. Miss that agro, push n shove we used to do. Loved to see it.
I'm sure Tex won't be backwards in that. Fog as well.
Meanwhile, McAdam has been running it very close lately with his aggression. Don't mind it TBH.

When the club talks about culture they mean getting rid of Stengle. Elite off-field standards, behaviour, discipline.

When I think of culture I see the following:
Ned struggling with injury, goes into the game with knee strapped hoping to get through
Doesn't get through, tweaks his knee again, more strapping, soldiers on. Has a poor game, understandably.

Knows that whilst a regular this season his spot is currently a little tenuous. Murphy outside the team, Newchurch building, Cook and Pedlar in the wings.

But as it stands it's his spot now. Ownership is 9/10ths the law. If he vacates it even for a week or two there's a risk that his replacement will go well. So he will fight to retain his spot at all costs. Whether it's the best thing for the team or the club or his teammates is irrelevant.

It's my spot and I'm not giving it up.

Mine! Mine! Mine!

veruca-salt-charlie-and-the-chocolate-factory.jpg

Not a stab at Ned. He's just following the leaders. This is more a part of our DNA than anything Nicks speaks about. Our coaches enable this. They don't overrule. Heck, some lived this mantra when they were at the club.

A club with a good culture (next man up...?) would use this as an opportunity to blood Newchurch and would do it without thinking.
I'd probably go a little further. I actually think the club is desperate to see guys like McHendry and Murphy be successful to the point they are afforded opportunities others aren't.

The reason is they went to somehow prove that all you need to do is try hard and the results will follow. Talent doesn't matter.

That's basically the summary of Nick's coaching philosophy.

But this isn't primary school and talent very much matters.

For me either Milera or McHenry should make way for Newchurch as we need to pick him when in form as we badly need to find a quality small forward.

The other option is Rachele but I would give him another game to come good given his upside.

Yes, Milera has an OK game, but the opponent was terrible & his body of work for the year has been amongst our worst.

V Gold Coast 19 touches 84%DE , 0 turnovers 6 score involvements

V Eagles 15 touches 73% 3 turnovers 5 score involvements and a goal

First game back was poor

He has got better every week since coming back in and the last two weeks has been involved in a number of goals. Even in his first two weeks back against Geelong and Eagles he was the one who hit Fog on the chest for goals in each game

Coming back after two years off - give the guy a break. Key player for us getting better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back