Will the Tim Kelly trade go down as one of the worst ever ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, so when I wrote "news broke regarding Neale wanting to explore the option of moving back to Freo" you thought I had written "Neale nominates Freo."
I was confused because I overestimated your reading comprehension.

Ok, so when I wrote "news broke regarding Neale wanting to explore the option of moving back to Freo" you thought I had written "Neale nominates Freo."
I was confused because I overestimated your reading comprehension.
No, I wondered why on earth you'd be quoting my post and couldn't think of any other reason except that you were linking the Neale incident to my post somehow. I was confused because I overestimated your coherence of thought.

Jeff Hogg to Fitzroy, while Richmond got Broderick, Dundas and Gale was a howler as well. Dundas was steak knives, but Michael Gale was handy, and Broderick was excellent. Hogg at Fitzroy was never as good.

The original trade was to be an out of contract Broderick in a straight swap for Craig Lambert and Jeff Hogg for Michael Gale and Matthew Dundas. Lambert refused to let Richmond tell him what to do and so the deal was changed to Hogg and Pick 6 to Fitzroy in return for Dundas, Broderick, Gale and Pick 26.

So effectively it became

a) Jeff Hogg to Fitzroy (40 games for Fitzroy) for Michael Gale (91 games for Richmond) and Matthew Dundas (14 games for Richmond). Hogg had been Richmond's captain and leading goalkicker in 1993.

b) Pick #6 to Fitzroy for Paul Broderick (169 games for Richmond) and Pick #26.

You
No, I wondered why on earth you'd be quoting my post and couldn't think of any other reason except that you were linking the Neale incident to my post somehow. I was confused because I overestimated your coherence of thought.
You quoted me to start with (see below). The more ridiculous this gets the more I like you. Go well Johnny.

Screenshot_20220506-125927-683.png

You

You quoted me to start with (see below). The more ridiculous this gets the more I like you. Go well Johnny.

View attachment 1393450
Not to fight someone else's battles for them, but the post they have quoted in that picture is literally a post in which you quote them to start the dialogue lol

He's actually been better when he's been the senior mid.

See the St Kilda game in Brisbane in 2020 for instance. Also games this season and last without Shuey & Yeo.

Nit worth what we paid to date but gar from the worst trader ever.
Not that "gar"

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Careful what you wish for I guess.....

Got told he'd excel at WC. And maybe he'll turn the corner again. Its not like he forgot how to play since he left us. The skills are still there. WC have a weaker MF sure - but its not devoid of talent and nor is he. Hope he finds the magic GAF button and gets going for them.

But right now - he and they have work to do.

GO Catters

Genuinely hope we see his best again. Still one of the smoothest movers across the ground going around. Used to remind me of Andrew McLeod gliding through the centre square at times. Brilliant to watch.

The eagles got a flag out of it.

Carlton didnt trade for judd, the eagles traded for kennedy.
Was gutted about that.
IIRC we were pushing to give you Paul Bower, but you were having none of that (and rightly so, from your perspective).

To be honest, we wouldn't have seen much out of JK anyway until Fev left: he controlled the forward line and demanded the ball. Fev was a gun so fair enough I guess, but Fev would be double/triple teamed and JK would be on his own, because everyone knew it was only going to 1 person.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judd did change our culture and won a brownlow and a couple of memorable finals with us.

Also Dennis Armfield who was the sweetener draft pick in the trade, forged a better and more respectable career than Chris Masten who was a bust.

Eagles won the trade, but absolutely have no regrets over it.
None at all?
Dont u think carlton couldve given someone anyone else away besides Kennedy?

I do find it funny how few people - particularly in the media - were critical of recruiting Kelly at the time. Top 10 mid, worth multiple first rounders etc.

He was 25. If he had chosen Freo over WC and was part of their current run people would be lauding it as brilliant recruiting after spending the last 2 years shitcanning them for recruiting a win now player when they were out of the finals. If we'd been slightly better in 2020 or not s**t in 2021 we'd be getting lauded. Short attention spans.

The trade is s**t because we overpaid in draft assets and (reportedly) salary. He wasn't re-signing with Geelong and he wasn't going in the draft and ending up at Freo. Trading for big names is not our thing and we should stay in our lane.

Jye Amiss (pick 8, 2021) might end up a great player but I reckon every Freo fan would prefer Cerra.

You'll probably find it's quite the opposite.

Cerra is a fine player but quality mids are easier to find. Amiss is the exact player we've been searching for for years - a blue chip natural key forward who doesn't miss, and a WA boy to boot. He's hopefully going to be our Josh Kennedy.

You'll probably find it's quite the opposite.

Cerra is a fine player but quality mids are easier to find. Amiss is the exact player we've been searching for for years - a blue chip natural key forward who doesn't miss, and a WA boy to boot. He's hopefully going to be our Josh Kennedy.

Maybe you have found your Kennedy, but you know that the price paid to get Kennedy was Chris Judd. How easy to find are midfielders of that calibre?

Cerra left, Freo didn't choose to trade him. Same as Judd, Dangerfield and others more accomplished. I don't recall a single person suggesting Freo would be better off trading Cerra (or Serong, Brayshaw, whoever) to get a draft pick and choose a key forward or Amiss specifically. I think the enthusiasm for a 19 year old forward over a 23 year old midfielder is driven by the fact that the deal is done now. Which is fine, but it's not like Cerra choosing to go to Carlton is some savvy piece of list management by Freo. Players leave and you try to make the best of it.

It only looks bad because of our bad run of injuries and covid.

At the time the plan to go for another flag was a good one.

We are never down for several years.
Your beaten down.

You didn't make finals In 2021, Eagles won't make it in 2022. It's gonna take more than 3 years to fix your squad to be finals contenders.

West coast will not make finals between 2021-2025. That's no finals for 5 years in a row. Book mark it.

Your team has an ageing and beaten down squad.

Tell me right now any gun 21 or 22 year olds you have on the list that's better than Serong or Brayshaw?

Wouldn't be 5th without him this year, probably more in the gaggle of teams that were clamouring over 8th spot if we didn't have Kelly. He's had a few excellent games, the St Kilda one where he dragged us over the line singlehandedly being a particular highlight.

The 'currency' at the moment are a handful of picks outside the top 10, picks that are not useful right now as we push for a flag. Do you think any of Geelong's received picks were helpful this year or next in their premiership tilt?

We'll be right.
Again.......

How's your list shaping up?

No finals in 2021 and you won't make finals this season.

Eagles gonna make finals in 2023 or 2024 or 2025?

Look at your current list. Eagles won't make finals from 2021-25. Eagles have to swallow any pride left and accept not playing finals for 5 years in a row.

He’s probably leading the best and fairest this year, can’t do much more than that. I was annoyed when he left but too get Cameron in that time I feel like the cats have done great out of it.

Your beaten down.

You didn't make finals In 2021, Eagles won't make it in 2022. It's gonna take more than 3 years to fix your squad to be finals contenders.

West coast will not make finals between 2021-2025. That's no finals for 5 years in a row. Book mark it.

Tell me right now any gun 21 or 22 year olds you have on the list that's better than Serong or Brayshaw?
You guys were saying this in 2017 you know.

We arent a club that stays down for long.

Like Crows with Gibbs, this club should have done the trade a year earlier and just makes it so much worse to piss fart around and still end up doing a deal next year.
I think we essentially turned our Gibbs deal into Tom De Koning, Lochie O'Brien and Matt Kennedy with some shrewd trades after it and draft picks left. You lose the player you need in that period but gain in long term. Other club left with a player they wanted for premiership tilt on list but the window closes so quick they missed the moment in time, they should have done the deal.

Your beaten down.

Serong and Brayshaw just got raw dogged by Walsh

5 years aint so bad, better than sitting out stints of 8 and 6

But i think we will play finals 2023 or 2024

The last 3 seasons have been torn apart with record injuries and covid

Due to those record injuries and covid Tim had to play a vastly different role then he did for Geelong. He was the cream at Geelong in strong midfield. Most of our midfield has barely played the last couple seasons so he has had to adjust

Remove this Banner Ad

Back