We need to talk about Mundy

Remove this Banner Ad

This is our centre square attendances so far this year. Its as a percentage - so you'd have to work out how many centre bounces there were during the game to work out the actual number but its still an accurate guide as to what is different in our starting set ups with Fyfe back. Needs further investigation as to who the 4 are at each bounce and who won the clearances. Just on raw figures it doesn't seem like a lot has changed for time in the middle in the last two weeks for Brodie, Brayshaw and Serong.

Mundy's biggest time in the starting 4 at centre sqaure ball ups were versus Adelaide and Brisbane.

1656337224208.png

Last edited:
This is our centre square attendances so far this year. Its as a percentage - so you'd have to work out how many centre bounces there were during the game to work out the actual number but its still an accurate guide as to what is different in our starting set ups with Fyfe back. Needs further investigation as to who the 4 are at each bounce and who won the clearances. Just on raw figures it doesn't seem like a lot has changed for time in the middle in the last two weeks for Brodie, Brayshaw and Serong.

Mundy's biggest time in the starting 4 at centre sqaure ball ups were versus Adelaide and Brisbane.

View attachment 1434824
That’s seems to show that Mundy has dropped and Fyfe has taken his slack up and also that of the 5th mid (Aish/Tucker)

Others have already said it, but I would only play him for home games. Either make him sub for the away games or leave him at home to recover.

That gets Mundy in a rhythm of playing every second week. Best case ... Rd 23 rest ... Top 4 and win ... rest ... prelim ... rest ... grand final. That's the only way we are winning a flag in my opinion, so if it doesn't pan out that way such as finishing 5th or 6th, then too bad.

The notion that it’s just “one or two bad games” is bullshit, even when he was playing well last season he had some glaring deficiencies the rest of the team had to make up for, all it takes is a small enough drop off that his positives don’t outweigh the negatives anymore due to natural regression and it becomes a big issue

Lot's of if's and but's in here lately....
Here's my 2 cents.
Mundy has never been super quick, more of a smooth canter than anything, and I don't see that he's really lost any of his pace. He's always been able to make the game 'slow down' due to footy smarts and skill, Pendlebury does the same, he's not quick either.
He's also never been amazing defensively, unless it's in tight in the contest.
What's happened (IMO) is when our still very young midfield has been beaten he's looked worse. But as a rule the whole side looks worse when we get beaten. Our young mids aren't going to be world beaters every week, and TBH DeKoning was putting in thier mids lap from what I saw, pretty hard to look good defensively when you can't get near it.
Can't blame poor old Dave for a collectively bad performance.

Lot's of if's and but's in here lately....
Here's my 2 cents.
Mundy has never been super quick, more of a smooth canter than anything, and I don't see that he's really lost any of his pace. He's always been able to make the game 'slow down' due to footy smarts and skill, Pendlebury does the same, he's not quick either.
He's also never been amazing defensively, unless it's in tight in the contest.
What's happened (IMO) is when our still very young midfield has been beaten he's looked worse. But as a rule the whole side looks worse when we get beaten. Our young mids aren't going to be world beaters every week, and TBH DeKoning was putting in thier mids lap from what I saw, pretty hard to look good defensively when you can't get near it.
Can't blame poor old Dave for a collectively bad performance.

If anyone takes the time to review the game and watch Serong and Brayshaw in isolation - you will see how badly Walsh/Hewett & Kennedy spanked them in the contest.

Serong, in particular, was spectacularly bad on the weekend.

If anyone takes the time to review the game and watch Serong and Brayshaw in isolation - you will see how badly Walsh/Hewett & Kennedy spanked them in the contest.

I don’t think Serong has gotten over that hiding that Cripps gave him first game last year .
Needs to play a Shane Edwards type role with suitable support from the other mids if it’s ever going to work long term

Serong was missing handball targets on the weekend which he would normally have made easily. Brodie hand balled directly to the opposition at least 5 times and had quite a few that he hand balled in no particular direction to nobody. JL commented on him hand balling too nobody a few times. They all add pressure and contribute to loss of momentum and ability to take field position.

Serong was missing handball targets on the weekend which he would normally have made easily. Brodie hand balled directly to the opposition at least 5 times and had quite a few that he hand balled in no particular direction to nobody. JL commented on him hand balling too nobody a few times. They all add pressure and contribute to loss of momentum and ability to take field position.

Forget the handball once possession is won.

Look at how easily Serong gave up front position, was pushed off the ball, gave his opposition a leg rope post stoppage.

My biggest concern about our midfield is the drop off in contested ball after the retirements of Mundy & Fyfe, we have a core group of midfielders who would rather watch and receive, rather than win it at the source.

Brayshaw and Serong don't want to win it dirty, Brodie will need help.

Look at how easily Serong gave up front position, was pushed off the ball, gave his opposition a leg rope post stoppage.

My biggest concern about our midfield is the drop off in contested ball after the retirements of Mundy & Fyfe, we have a core group of midfielders who would rather watch and receive, rather than win it at the source.

Neil Erasmus loves this.

The answer is simple. Play Darcy, brayshaw, serong and Brodie as the starting midfielders.
Nathan, you have been incredible for our club and you are now a lead up 3rd forward. No ifs, buts or maybes.
Dave, you have been unbelievable but you are now depth. We could have a spot for you but not in the midfield and it will depend on your form.
F##k the mr nice guy s**t. This is a realistic shot at our first premiership and reputations count for nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Others have already said it, but I would only play him for home games. Either make him sub for the away games or leave him at home to recover.

That gets Mundy in a rhythm of playing every second week. Best case ... Rd 23 rest ... Top 4 and win ... rest ... prelim ... rest ... grand final. That's the only way we are winning a flag in my opinion, so if it doesn't pan out that way such as finishing 5th or 6th, then too bad.
Two things for you to consider Alfonz. How do you think whoever fills Mundy’s spot for away games would feel if he gets BOG and then is dropped for the home game to make way for Mundy?
Secondly, what happens if we don’t get any home finals?
Your plan has some serious deficiencies.

Serong too

Its hard to read much into it because you don't know how quickly the players make a change in position after the initial centre square bounce.

Serong is up and down a bit over the season but one of his lowest is vs Hawthorn Rd 13 where he was BOG. He was also high up in the coaches votes against Geelong (rd 7) where he is on his average for time starting in the middle, and against Brisbane (rd 12) where he is slightly above average.

Two things for you to consider Alfonz. How do you think whoever fills Mundy’s spot for away games would feel if he gets BOG and then is dropped for the home game to make way for Mundy?
Secondly, what happens if we don’t get any home finals?
Your plan has some serious deficiencies.
I'm not for or against the plan, but if the biggest concern is what we do when a replacement player is BOG, the deficiencies might not be that serious!

AB and Serong get 35 coaches votes and 55 contested possessions over two weeks: crickets

Freo lose a game: SERONG AND BRAYSHAW DONT LIKE CONTESTED BALL.

You are factually incorrect

He just had a week off and played his worse game, as did the team. It's a fallacy that resting is going to help him, it's not backed up with data.

The notion that it’s just “one or two bad games” is bullshit, even when he was playing well last season he had some glaring deficiencies the rest of the team had to make up for, all it takes is a small enough drop off that his positives don’t outweigh the negatives anymore due to natural regression and it becomes a big issue
Mundy is coaching on the field. In the absence of Fyfe for the past 12 months, he's been the leader, helping the young mids position and play in their first few AFL seasons. Brayshaw the 2nd most senior player who has a regular spot, had played around 70 games 12 months ago. Covering for his defensive & pace deficiencies has not out weighed the positives if you see how the team has progressed. You need to look at the whole picture, not just what happens in a loss.

No rest between Prelim and GF

He just had a week off and played his worse game, as did the team. It's a fallacy that resting is going to help him, it's not backed up with data.

Mundy is coaching on the field. In the absence of Fyfe for the past 12 months, he's been the leader, helping the young mids position and play in their first few AFL seasons. Brayshaw the 2nd most senior player who has a regular spot, had played around 70 games 12 months ago. Covering for his defensive & pace deficiencies has not out weighed the positives if you see how the team has progressed. You need to look at the whole picture, not just what happens in a loss.
I agree, now are we in a development phase or trying to honestly compete? Do we drop him a couple weeks before finals and knuckle down?

To add to this, people need to expect that he’s going to have some off games (as will Fyfe when he’s building back from 10mo off). JL takes about his value on the field to the mostly young midfields.

Raise your hand if you thought this was our year to win the flag. I sure as hell didn’t. Although technically we’re not in a rebuilding year, we’re still in the development phase. Without Fyfe and Mundy we have such a young team. I know the coaches won’t look at it like this, but let’s get some finals experience into this team this year and go on full flag tilt the next three. Sorry to say though that old Barra prob don’t be part of it. I think this will be his last year.

But you know he’d help coach just like Sandi did when he retired!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nope, watch him play better in a final compared to 3/4 of the team and the whole team play better with him.
People were writing Sonny off on the back of a poor run of form too. He may not kick the bags ge used to but watch how much better out forward line functions when he is playing. You need experienced leaders on all lines to help the youth develop.

People were writing Sonny off on the back of a poor run of form too. He may not kick the bags ge used to but watch how much better out forward line functions when he is playing. You need experienced leaders on all lines to help the youth develop.
Great example of not writing players off too soon .

Cast our minds back over the last couple of years to the list of Escaped Goats on here who have come good

Taberner
Schultz
Aish
Acres
Sonny
Lobb

Most of these guys would have been on the streets if BF was the selection committee , but they stood up

Serong is a jet and a good leader
Brayshaw is all of the above and a huge heart .

Fyfe will go back to doing Fyfe things
Maybe Barra needs a short rest , has had a huge couple of years particularly with no Fyfe and teaching the kids .

Its hard to read much into it because you don't know how quickly the players make a change in position after the initial centre square bounce.

Serong is up and down a bit over the season but one of his lowest is vs Hawthorn Rd 13 where he was BOG. He was also high up in the coaches votes against Geelong (rd 7) where he is on his average for time starting in the middle, and against Brisbane (rd 12) where he is slightly above average.
My only thought is that Serong had been playing defensive side a fair bit of the time earlier in the season. It's crossed my mind to wonder whether him being displaced from CBs has played any role in any putative drop in midfield performance (I say putative, because I haven't looked back at the numbers or rewatched the Hawthorn game with this claim in mind).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back