Tasmania Congratulations on Tassie License. Mens team to enter 2028. Womens team TBA. Other details TBA 3/5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling when the the Clubs vote on this soon will knock back Tassie or push it at least 5 years down the road and insist they start building the new billion dollar stadium right away!

I have a feeling when the the Clubs vote on this soon will knock back Tassie or push it at least 5 years down the road and insist they start building the new billion dollar stadium right away!
Wouldn't be entering for another 5 or so years anyway.

Premier goes into bat again. Saying it is now or never.

interesting, he mentions the Jackjumpers a lot. he mentions them as a success and that, if the AFL does not act, the Next Richo could easily be shooting hoops instead.

A 7% increase in basketball participation in 12 months that’s a huge number imagine the state of football in Tasmania if they say no within 5 years football would be completely screwed

Basketball and soccer always going to have high participation rates... lots of kids don't like being hit.

AFL and NRL you got to like, enjoy, cope with the constant bumping and tackling. It's not for everyone.

Some get one big hit or a broken jaw, nose, collar bone etc they never come back.

But yes Tassie need a license fast before interest is lost down there.

I think this ABS data shows why Tasmania has such a hard sell to the AFL for why they should have a team.

b50f8b07bef44dc62303a86ee6b3abbb.jpg

3698c56ec027c1f7c64fd1e6eaf69937.jpg

If that is true then that would make things very interesting.
I caught the tail end of the segment but I'm sure that's what I heard.
A couple weeks ago they said they'd probably were going to bump up what they were contributing so if that's not happening what's changed.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some good news coming out of the census regarding a Tasmanian team:

Tasmania's population grew by more than 9% since the last census in 2016 to 557k, while Greater Hobart recorded over 10% growth and is now 247k.

The strong population growth could help to alleviate concerns that Tassie is too small a market for team.

“Tasmania has a better chance of working than not working,” Cook said on Melbourne’s Sportsday Radio.

“I’m a bit of a believer that this is a bit of a free option that the AFL is being provided by the Tasmanian government.

“If you put the stadium together with the dollars the government is going to produce for the new club plus other dollars I think it works out to about $900 million or something like that.

“It’s a free option.

“The AFL don’t have to put anything in at this stage.”

He said there were other issues to work through such as talent and staff distribution and the stadium, but they were all solvable.

Tas would need to pull their dollars immediately. Thats #1 priority for the AFL.

They'll be forced to take the games back to the already oversupplied Melbourne marketplace.

I read that more as Peter Nankivell saying Hawks would be supportive of licence if issued.
It still needs to go to current President's vote for licence to be issued.
The vote doesn't actually work that way. The commission decides to give Tassie the license first, and then the clubs have the opportunity to veto that decision, but require a 2/3s majority.

Tas would need to pull their dollars immediately. Thats #1 priority for the AFL.

They'll be forced to take the games back to the already oversupplied Melbourne marketplace.

yeah because theres nowhere else to play games. Remember that North went to Hobart with a deal from city council before tasmania gov jumped on line.

If theres significant club opposition then it wont make it past the Commission.
The AFL will seek to gain some unofficial consensus from the clubs before deciding to grant a license. I doubt the vote to veto will even happen at all, because by that stage clubs still against (probably just GC) will know they are in the minority so won't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back