Review Round 15, 2022 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Additionally, while we were on top we failed to capitalise and the margin was much closer than it needed to be at quarter time. This coupled with Melbourne's big resurgence took the whole team by surprise as well.
I'm not sure we should've been surprised if we had revisited the previous times we played them.

It was an interesting watch how we went from being ascendent but spraying them everywhere to not being able to keep up at all within a few minutes.

That's never a good sign but we get the chance again this week off the back of uplifting news and I'd be very surprised if we cant play better for longer.

Played footy much yourself? Ever played a game where the energy and excitement was at an all time high and still get an arse kicking? I have several times I remember let alone the ones I have forgotten.

Athletes managing arousal levels always tough. Takes a lot of performance maturity

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
Not enough mongrel according to Browny.

The problem is our 'mongrel' can too often result in frees against and turns in momentum. I don't think mongrel is a thing anymore, it's the hunger to win the footy and the want to defend as a team which is where I see our biggest issues. Lyons has mongrel in him and looks angry anytime someone touches him during the game but it's not enough. I don't believe Melbourne have much mongrel in them either, they do have a want to defend and actually seem to enjoy doing it.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I love browny but literally all he talks about on Couch is work rate, mongrel/toughness, and tall forwards presenting. Not that I think he's wrong in this case but its more a broken clock etc etc
I think Browny finds commentating a little mentally challenging so he resorts to the mantra that he knows will have the crowd nodding their heads.

But in this instance he's absolutely correct.

Hipwood , Daniher and Dan imposed no physical presence whatsoever. In fact no presence full stop post quarter time.

Plus we just kept kicking it straight to Lever anyway.

Let's face it ,everything about our performance was horrible. With no fightback.

I think we've said enough over and over. Expecting a turnaround this week.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think Browny finds commentating a little mentally challenging so he resorts to the mantra that he knows will have the crowd nodding their heads.

But in this instance he's absolutely correct.

Hipwood , Daniher and Dan imposed no physical presence whatsoever. In fact no presence full stop post quarter time.

Plus we just kept kicking it straight to Lever anyway.

Let's face it ,everything about our performance was horrible. With no fightback.

I think we've said enough over and over. Expecting a turnaround this week.
not sure it needs to be mongrel. I find it hard some of the night seeing Lever etc mark under no pressure
Looked sometimes they just watched them mark

There was no movement and speed after 1/4 time
All the talk about our killer 3 talls.. Joe been consistant. McStay sometimes lost.
Not sure how many weeks we give hipwood.
I think early games we played Cockatoo and Rayner under done. Was better only carrying one.
A few players are down not sure we can carry Hipwood as well. Might be better back to Fort

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
not sure it needs to be mongrel. I find it hard some of the night seeing Lever etc mark under no pressure
Looked sometimes they just watched them mark

There was no movement and speed after 1/4 time
All the talk about our killer 3 talls.. Joe been consistant. McStay sometimes lost.
Not sure how many weeks we give hipwood.
I think early games we played Cockatoo and Rayner under done. Was better only carrying one.
A few players are down not sure we can carry Hipwood as well. Might be better back to Fort
Unless they're all in killer form the 3 talls doesn't work.

You're better off with 2 talls and a resting ruckman for some of the time.

But as sure as night follows day we'll persist with the way we have it for the rest of the year at least.

It's fine when they're all firing but that's not the case now.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
The problem is our 'mongrel' can too often result in frees against and turns in momentum. I don't think mongrel is a thing anymore, it's the hunger to win the footy and the want to defend as a team which is where I see our biggest issues. Lyons has mongrel in him and looks angry anytime someone touches him during the game but it's not enough. I don't believe Melbourne have much mongrel in them either, they do have a want to defend and actually seem to enjoy doing it.
Mongrel can be an all encompassing word, I view it as similar to intensity, desire, aggression. Mongrel probably has an uncontrolled connotation... lets say controlled directed mongrel. Mitch Robbo when in form is the perfect example in the way he times his tackles at full pace and in the vast majority of occasions without giving away a free kick.

I love browny but literally all he talks about on Couch is work rate, mongrel/toughness, and tall forwards presenting. Not that I think he's wrong in this case but its more a broken clock etc etc

PICK YOUR MOMENT AND BE A MAN. It's about TOUGHNESS.

Whatamark

Rookie
Feb 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC
Harris Specter said:
Additionally, while we were on top we failed to capitalise and the margin was much closer than it needed to be at quarter time. This coupled with Melbourne's big resurgence took the whole team by surprise as well.

Was too angry/disappointed to read or look at this thread so far - however my take was similar too this. In my mind those missed shots in the first quarter may have cost us the premiership, we were on fire, but went in at quarter time only a few points ahead. If we had been 24/30 points up like we should have been Demons mental state would have been far far different. Talk about playing them into form [sigh], whereas it would seem we have added to our mental issues. Think Lions have a tough battle now.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Also had a bit of the Tigers game last year
When Tigers got beaten I think 4-5 weeks in a row.
We kicked I think the first couple after half time then missed a few..
Then Tigers flicked a switch and kicked like 10 of the next 13-14 goals

Wing AttendanceRound 15MelbourneMCG
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​