Preview Round 16, 2022: Carlton v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Friday 1st July, 7:50PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Blues

Votes: 68 81.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 15 18.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Arsenal, Portland Trailblazers
Make our list look terrible as well
It really shows that they're playing very well as a team. When you look at their side they've got some great players but also a lot of GOPs running around at the moment. If we can find our form again then we might be able to stretch them.

It really shows that they're playing very well as a team. When you look at their side they've got some great players but also a lot of GOPs running around at the moment. If we can find our form again then we might be able to stretch them.

Most of our players seem to have stalled or gone backwards. Seb, Gresham, Battle, Sinclair and Crouch have improved and get a pass. Wilkie is just always the same. The rest are passengers right now. It’s going to take a huge change in attitude to turn around from it.

Wood has probably been consistent too.

I hope Highmore gets a run, play him forward for some lemon wasting realestate up there even. Just get him in.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Most of our players seem to have stalled or gone backwards. Seb, Gresham, Battle, Sinclair and Crouch have improved and get a pass. Wilkie is just always the same. The rest are passengers right now. It’s going to take a huge change in attitude to turn around from it.

Wood has probably been consistent too.

I hope Highmore gets a run, play him forward for some lemon wasting realestate up there even. Just get him in.
Highmore has to play this week. Not only because he deserves it but an intercept marker would really help out our defence right now and could give us some flexibility to swing other moves.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
We need to change things up as we've looked stale and predictable the last couple of games so throwing in someone different like Highmore could be the spark we need.

Another thing in our favour is that we will go in as strong underdogs now with everyone writing us off and talking up Carlton as top 4 contenders so it might help to take the pressure off us and allow us to throw caution to the wind, try a few different things to keep them guessing and upset their plans.

May 29, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
We should play our Best 22 available and back them in to find form

Sharman stays in for structure as we need that extra marking forward against the Brownbaggers small backline

Ins ... Ryder Hill Higgins Highmore

Outs ... Butler Long Byrnes NWM

Membrey, Higgo & Gresham to play mainly forward with Gresh sometimes going in for centre square bounces

With McKay Curnow and Silvagni we need Howard Wilkie and Battle to go one on one and Highmore to be the floating interceptor

Paton & Webster to lockdown their small forward brigade and to run lines along with Sincs and Hunter through the half back line

Ryder, Marshall and a Coops can rotate ruck/forward

Our midfield can be a mix of Steele, Ross, Crouch, Sinclair, Hunter, Jones, Clark, Windhager & Gresh .... some defense minded others with a licence to go forward

Hill & Billings just to run amok and s**t down the throats of Vanilla O'Brien & Spack Newnes

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Highmore has to play this week. Not only because he deserves it but an intercept marker would really help out our defence right now and could give us some flexibility to swing other moves.
like Membrey back in the forward line where he belongs for instance. Put Paton out. He's improving, but not enough.

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
If I'm picking the team:

Out: Butler, Long, Howard, Wangmil, Byrnes, Billings
In: Ryder, Hill, Highmore, Joyce, Higgins, Lienert

B: Paton, Joyce, Wilkie
HB: Sinclair, Battle, Webster
C: Hill, Steele, Lienert
HF: Gresham, Membrey, Windhager
F: Higgins, King, Ryder

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Ross
Int: Clark, Jones, Highmore, Sharman

Sub: Billings

I'm not into the idea of letting the 22 that completely embarrassed the club get another go. I also think team selection was terrible in the first place. Howard is woefully out of form, Long and Butler are fumbly pressure forward who don't kick goals, Billings was completely nonexistent when the game was up for grabs and Byrnes just doesn't have any weapons to make me think he'll be a long term AFL player. Wangmil hit more Sydney players with his kicks than Saints.

Saintbloke

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think we look better with Wood in the mix- probably offers more than Jones, although not in great form..then who is..nobody on last week's effort. We are not playing as a team.

Klaatu

All Australian
Oct 18, 2019
Outer space
AFL Club
St Kilda
Clark out is no where near the player he was, 2 substantial injuries has knocked his confidence & drive not as daring as he was.

lewdogs

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Just having a look at Carlton's formline and it's not actually that amazing. Fantastic win against Freo but before that they lost to Richmond, were not impressive against Essendon and lost to Collingwood.

Obviously it's a lot better than ours though...

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
First try for the week is always a bit radical.

Given last weeks disaster with using Sharman and Long as back up ruckman and Carltons current injury problems I'm giving Tom Campbell a run. He's been brilliant Sandy and should get a go. Worst thing that could happen is that he falls on Cripps. So Ryder has another week to rest up.

DMac not looking likely and Wood is out of form so Leinert to the wing. At least if he gets it his long bomb forward will at least be a deep i50 entry.

Highmore comes in simply because he's been playing well enough to deserve a run.

Pressure forwards who don't kick goals means you end up with 4 goals for the game. At least Windy and Owens can play through the midfield while they provide pressure in the front half.

Move King to CHF, might help him move about a bit.

Out: Butler, Long, Wangmil, Byrnes, Billings, Sharman
In: Campbell, Hill, Highmore, Owens, Higgins, Leinert

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Sinclair, Battle, Webster
C: Hill, Steele, Leinert
HF: Gresham, KING, Owens
F: Higgins, Campbell, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Ross

Int: Clark, Jones, Highmore, Windhager

Sub: Billings

lewdogs

Cancelled
Jun 4, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I'd like to see us go with Marshall as main ruck and Ryder forward to stretch them. See if Marshall can dominate their young ruckman and get clearances going our way.

Highmore has to come in. Also Higgins, we simply need him hopefully he has had his wake up call. And Hill, really hoping he gets up.

I'd be saying to Zak Jones you need to get 25. Forget anything else, just concentrate on getting your hands on the ball.

In: Ryder Higgins Hill Highmore
Out: Sharman Long Byrnes Paton

May 29, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sorry I understand different viewpoints but some you guys are fkd with your selections

Billings and Jones are best 22 and have to be given the chance to find some form .... in fact Billings has been OK thus far .... 20 disposals each game + a few goals .... Jones more of a worry but if there is any player who can find form quickly it's him ..... we need to back them because when firing they are very hard to stop

It's great that we have blooded Owens and co but it's time for our more experienced players to show their worth

Time to see who stands up and who doesn't

D2D3

Club Legend
May 20, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Sorry I understand different viewpoints but some you guys are fkd with your selections

Billings and Jones are best 22 and have to be given the chance to find some form .... in fact Billings has been OK thus far .... 20 disposals each game + a few goals .... Jones more of a worry but if there is any player who can find form quickly it's him ..... we need to back them because when firing they are very hard to stop

It's great that we have blooded Owens and co but it's time for our more experienced players to show their worth

Time to see who stands up and who doesn't

Billings has been invisible and Jones has had ages to recapture form but isn’t getting it done. On top of that a lot of us want to see at least 2 of Windhager, Nas and Sharman hold their spots. In reality Jones and Billings are unlikely to be dropped but I think there is a case.

Imo it’ll probably be

Out: Sharman, Paton, Long/Butler, Byrnes
In: Ryder, Hill, Highmore, Higgins

Although I wouldn’t be shocked to see Highmore miss out again and Paton keep his spot. It is getting ridiculous holding Highmore out at this stage though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back