Universal Love 2022-24 Random Chat - BBQ, Other Food, Cats, Whatever

Who here is an MCC member and willing to give me a few pointers? I'm now a restricted member and since not playing footy anymore am going to start making use of it. I'm heading along on Thursday night and have a couple of balcony passes. Where are the best places to sit (walk up and reserved), best bars etc.? How do I start making the most of this membership?

TIA

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Who here is an MCC member and willing to give me a few pointers? I'm now a restricted member and since not playing footy anymore am going to start making use of it. I'm heading along on Thursday night and have a couple of balcony passes. Where are the best places to sit (walk up and reserved), best bars etc.? How do I start making the most of this membership?

TIA
I am, but I explore very little. I just go to the ground level, sit on the wing and head to the Blazer Bar for some pints at HT - and often watch the third quarter there. The parma at the Hugh Trumble Bar goes alright too pre-game

NorthcoteDee

Team Captain
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne

TIA
Congratulations ... I've been a full member for years ... yes, I'm really old. Level 2 is IMHO the best viewing area.

Quite a few good bars ... Blazer Bar is fine ... level 2, there's the Long Room, but you need to be 'togged up' to get in there so it's a bit w#nky, Percy Beames Bar, Frank Grey Bar (Level 3), Robert Flower Bar (Level 4), particularly on a balmy night ... Perhaps check them out in turn. The Bullring on the lower level is usually a bit crowded.

If I see you there, don't forget, the first round is on you !!

I am, but I explore very little. I just go to the ground level, sit on the wing and head to the Blazer Bar for some pints at HT - and often watch the third quarter there. The parma at the Hugh Trumble Bar goes alright too pre-game
Thanks mate. I'm the same as you to this point, other than going to the Jim Stynes Grill once a year or so. I think I need to go to a neutral game and just wander around and explore but being regional attending a neutral game is rarely a priority. cheers

Congratulations ... I've been a full member for years ... yes, I'm really old. Level 2 is IMHO the best viewing area.

Quite a few good bars ... Blazer Bar is fine ... level 2, there's the Long Room, but you need to be 'togged up' to get in there so it's a bit w#nky, Percy Beames Bar, Frank Grey Bar (Level 3), Robert Flower Bar (Level 4), particularly on a balmy night ... Perhaps check them out in turn. The Bullring on the lower level is usually a bit crowded.

Thanks for that. I'm familiar enough with the Bullring bar. Might have to venture upwards tomorrow night! I'll buy you a beer for sure. Just look for someone who looks like they're from the country

My old man has been a member for around 65 years. I think now he only pays a token fee of $15 or so each year now (since he hit 50 years I think). I became a member (junior restricted) as a 16 and progressed to a restricted member but when it came to full membership in 2000 I gave it up as it was going to cost me two weeks wage and at that stage I was going to 1-2 games a year.

Have you been to the restaurant? It ain't cheap that's for sure. Also, do you still get into finals free with your membership? I remember going to the prelim finals every year in the 90's as I didn't have to pay to get in.

Put my name down again in 2010 so I'm still quite a few years off getting back in.

happy with Banchero Scythe94? Without paying too much attention i reckon Holmgren is better

Dyson Daniels the Aussie went pick 8 to New Orleans which is cool. He's really ******* good

happy with Banchero Scythe94? Without paying too much attention i reckon Holmgren is better

Dyson Daniels the Aussie went pick 8 to New Orleans which is cool. He's really ******* good
Holmgren may end up being a total stud, but too much risk for Orlando to take him at Pick 1. They desperately need a go-to scorer, so while surprising, Banchero looks like the right option.

Good fit for Daniels too

Holmgren may end up being a total stud, but too much risk for Orlando to take him at Pick 1. They desperately need a go-to scorer, so while surprising, Banchero looks like the right option.

Good fit for Daniels too
OKC are ******* OP, they need to restrict how many picks you can have. They already got Giddey, Shai and Dort, add 3 guns including a pick 2 ******* spiderman. then 3 more next year, the year after, year after. They'll probably trade some but ******* hell if they do it right they should have a dynasty

B4373E39-5AE3-47DB-8E6E-41B956BE6922.jpeg

NorthcoteDee

Team Captain
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
My old man has been a member for around 65 years. I think now he only pays a token fee of $15 or so each year now (since he hit 50 years I think). I became a member (junior restricted) as a 16 and progressed to a restricted member but when it came to full membership in 2000 I gave it up as it was going to cost me two weeks wage and at that stage I was going to 1-2 games a year.

Have you been to the restaurant? It ain't cheap that's for sure. Also, do you still get into finals free with your membership? I remember going to the prelim finals every year in the 90's as I didn't have to pay to get in.

Put my name down again in 2010 so I'm still quite a few years off getting back in.
There are now 3 membership categories ... First stage is provisional, which allows members access to all games other than certain big games such as Anzac Day/Anzac Eve/QB and of course the finals. Second stage is restricted, which allows access to all matches other than the GF. Third stage is full membership.

So, you'd be a few years off provisional membership. And, at a guess, another 7-10 years off restricted membership. And another 15 or so years off full membership.

Last edited:
How did it turn out?
Good. The flat was a bit dryer than I like but that was my fault as got stuck in a zoom meeting and went about 45 minutes past the time I should have wrapped it. Point was still awesome though.

Quality of meat was good but I’d still take the king island brisket I’ve been doing. Will try their wagyu brisket though.

God damn, hadn't heard about this, some ducked up s**t

I remember hearing about this. Always interesting when celebrities go nuts.

This vid on John McAfee is another good example of it

I expect we'll be seeing one about Ezra Miller before too long. No surprise he was such a convincing psycho in We Need to Talk About Kevin.

I remember hearing about this. Always interesting when celebrities go nuts.

This vid on John McAfee is another good example of it

I expect we'll be seeing one about Ezra Miller before too long. No surprise he was such a convincing psycho in We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Whats that one about mate? Havent heard the story

I love stories about cult type stuff, that Allison Mack one is pretty ****ed up, but I reckon there are plenty of them about. Having a look over the chicks channel who created it, she's got some really interesting vids about similar things, well worth a look

Whats that one about mate? Havent heard the story

I love stories about cult type stuff, that Allison Mack one is pretty ducked up, but I reckon there are plenty of them about. Having a look over the chicks channel who created it, she's got some really interesting vids about similar things, well worth a look
Not quite a cult story but John McAffee was an extremely intelligent and talented programmer who wrote the first commercial anti-virus software going all the way back in the 80s. His companies work was and still is some of the most commonplace of it's kind.

Made a truckload of money but was always a little odd, very flamboyant. After the GFC he lost a lot of money and moved to central america where he started getting into the drug trade and was later suspected of the murder of his neighbour. When the police came for him he went on the run and fled the country. The vid does a great job of covering it all plus all the other craziness.

Not quite a cult story but John McAffee was an extremely intelligent and talented programmer who wrote the first commercial anti-virus software going all the way back in the 80s. His companies work was and still is some of the most commonplace of it's kind.

Made a truckload of money but was always a little odd, very flamboyant. After the GFC he lost a lot of money and moved to central america where he started getting into the drug trade and was later suspected of the murder of his neighbour. When the police came for him he went on the run and fled the country. The vid does a great job of covering it all plus all the other craziness.

Sounds good will have a watch later.

The Allison Mack thing is about a sex cult, amazing that she was able to only get 3 years in prison, if she was a bloke ive got no doubt she's spending 40+ years behind bars.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I’ve been WFH for about a million years now and yesterday I had to go into the office for a meeting. Which meant I noticed that my office type clothes seemed a bit tight on me. And I discovered that I have gained over 4 kilos over the past 6 months.

So I’ve put myself on a diet, starting today. Or not a diet (apparently), more a ‘long-term cognitive strategy to develop healthy eating habits through mindfulness’.

I’m not sure about it so far though. I’ve been so ******* mindful that I think about food all day, which makes me hungry. I found myself contemplating lunch at about a quarter-to-eleven, and had to mindfully eat a grapefruit to make it until one. And I’ve just turned off the notifications from this mindful eating app because it keeps dinging at me to send “you’re doing great” type messages and giving me coins and badges and s**t.

I had the genius idea of making a kind of vegetable stir-fry with those miracle noodles that have virtually no calories that kind of expand in your stomach. So now I’m totally full with miracle noodles but the way I’m heading I won’t meet my minimum calorie target by bedtime and the app will get all angry with me because that’s not healthy and all. Plus my intestines are starting to make a symphony of digestive noises to alert me that they are confused by the sudden surplus of fibre that they are attempting to deal with. I sound like my stomach is housing a family of meerkats. I’m not sure either of us will be able to face my mid-afternoon mindful watermelon.

Plus I’m having a day off today because of reasons that I invented for telling the boss purposes. Which is great because I can at least deal with the constant messages and hi-5s from my 1:1 “food coach” that sounds suspiciously like a bot created in the US. I tried asking him some questions, to lay a trap rather than caring about the answers, but he keeps hi-5ing and telling me I’m going great. But what with the app interactions and eating food in a slow and appreciative mindful way, savouring the flavours and textures and all, and scheduling the 3k walk that I have committed to as part of my daily goals, I probably won’t be able to work ever again because I don’t have the ******* time.

I’m about to have my afternoon contemplation time. I am trying to explain to my bot friend that I’m trying to fit into my jeans, not reach some kind of peak Buddhist state of mind thing, but he just sends me hi-5s. I’m going to go now and savour the flavours and textures of my soda-stream fizzy water with two ice cubes and a slice of decorative ginger.

Last edited:
Bad Sheppard Brewing Co in Cheltenham

Anyone who lives around the are should defiantly go for a try. I unfortunately live on the other side of the city so its a long way for me to go but I will make a trip out since I just found out that the old head pit master at Le Bon Ton is the pit master there

Surprising though that they don't do chicken since I found that was previously his signature dish

Have noticed that the sauce on the smoked chicken at Le Bon Ton has changed since he left too

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’ve been WFH for about a million years now and yesterday I had to go into the office for a meeting. Which meant I noticed that my office type clothes seemed a bit tight on me. And I discovered that I have gained over 4 kilos over the past 6 months.

So I’ve put myself on a diet, starting today. Or not a diet (apparently), more a ‘long-term cognitive strategy to develop healthy eating habits through mindfulness’.

I’m not sure about it so far though. I’ve been so ******* mindful that I think about food all day, which makes me hungry. I found myself contemplating lunch at about a quarter-to-eleven, and had to mindfully eat a grapefruit to make it until one. And I’ve just turned of the notifications from this mindful eating app because it keeps dinging at me to send “you’re doing great” type messages and giving me coins and badges and s**t.

I had the genius idea of making a kind of vegetable stir-fry with those miracle noodles that have virtually no calories that kind of expand in your stomach. So now I’m totally full with miracle noodles but the way I’m heading I won’t meet my minimum calorie target by bedtime and the app will get all angry with me because that’s not healthy and all. Plus my intestines are starting to make a symphony of digestive noises to alert me that they are confused by the sudden surplus of fibre that they are attempting to deal with. I sound like my stomach is housing a family of meerkats. I’m not sure either of us will be able to face my mid-afternoon mindful watermelon.

Plus I’m having a day off today because of reasons that I invented for telling the boss purposes. Which is great because I can at least deal with the constant messages and hi-5s from my 1:1 “food coach” that sounds suspiciously like a bot created in the US. I tried asking him some questions, to lay a trap rather than caring about the answers, but he keeps hi-5ing and telling me I’m going great. But what with the app interactions and eating food in a slow and appreciative mindful way, savouring the flavours and textures and all, and scheduling the 3k walk that I have committed to as part of my daily goals, I probably won’t be able to work ever again because I don’t have the ******* time.

I’m about to have my afternoon contemplation time. I am trying to explain to my bot friend that I’m trying to fit into my jeans, not reach some kind of peak Buddhist state of mind thing, but he just sends me hi-5s. I’m going to go now and savour the flavours and textures of my soda-stream fizzy water with two ice cubes and a slice of decorative ginger.
blink-182 wtf GIF

Bad Sheppard Brewing Co in Cheltenham

Anyone who lives around the are should defiantly go for a try. I unfortunately live on the other side of the city so its a long way for me to go but I will make a trip out since I just found out that the old head pit master at Le Bon Ton is the pit master there

Surprising though that they don't do chicken since I found that was previously his signature dish

Have noticed that the sauce on the smoked chicken at Le Bon Ton has changed since he left too
Love their beers. My Mrs' folks live out that way, can add it to a future visit itinerary

Back