Play Nice 2022 AFL/AFLW Crowds/TV Ratings/Stream thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
North are in a world of trouble if Tassie don’t get a team, as that will most likely make 2022 the last year in Hobart and little time to find a good deal to play games elsewhere. Albury probably the only option. They will get much better crowds but the $$$ will be much less. Assume they are already working on it.
Even if we do get a team It would be silly to stay in Tassie until we get a team because what is the government getting out of games like yesterday,how many tourists would of been in the 5000 yesterday?

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
I disagree, I think it’s a great opportunity to get games into locations where a club will never be based.

Bendigo, Darwin, Townsville… etc. The big one we still need to get games into is Newcastle.

In fact, it should be fair. It was Sheedy that said every team should play one "development" game per season.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Even if we do get a team It would be silly to stay in Tassie until we get a team because what is the government getting out of games like yesterday,how many tourists would of been in the 5000 yesterday?
The Tas government will get a team. Will be part of the deal to keep North afloat until they can do a deal elsewhere.

Raz Man

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon v Sydney @ MCG should be 35,000 but if the Bombers were up and about it would’ve been 60,000 like we got recently with them a few years ago I think.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

MattF185

All Australian
Jul 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Cricket basketball tennis athletics
Essendon v Sydney @ MCG should be 35,000 but if the Bombers were up and about it would’ve been 60,000 like we got recently with them a few years ago I think.

If (and it’s a big if at the moment) Essendon become a premiership contender sometime in the near future, I hope they’re able to play 7-8 home matches at the ‘G to showcase how big their fan base is.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Essendon 10th Vs Sydney 9th drew 60,119 to the MCG on a Saturday afternoon in July, 2019.. The only difference this time is Essendon’s playing stocks with supporter morale probably it’s lowest since 2015 when the bottom fell out of the club pre suspensions.

Weather should be ok and it’s a rare Essendon MCG home game in a family friendly slot. However, overriding all this is supporters have called the year done and dusted.. Weeks ago.

I will say 35-40,000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If (and it’s a big if at the moment) Essendon become a premiership contender sometime in the near future, I hope they’re able to play 7-8 home matches at the ‘G to showcase how big their fan base is.
Considering your club's deal with Marvel to be the #1 tenant, that is never going to happen. Reap what you sow. (The benefit is that right now, your low crowd numbers at Marvel don't bankrupt you like they do for Dogs/Saints/North if they get a low turnout, but it also means you make less profit by playing less games at the G in front of big crowds)

What does that mean, number of seats sold?
AFL says every major ground has to keep a minimum 3,000 tickets for the public to buy, across all categories. It means all those tickets have been sold. How many turn up who have rights to the other 50 odd thousand seats is another thing.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Considering your club's deal with Marvel to be the #1 tenant, that is never going to happen. Reap what you sow. (The benefit is that right now, your low crowd numbers at Marvel don't bankrupt you like they do for Dogs/Saints/North if they get a low turnout, but it also means you make less profit by playing less games at the G in front of big crowds)
Essendon’s arrangement with Marvel ends at the conclusion of 2024 season. Two seasons to run.

Essendon’s arrangement with Marvel ends at the conclusion of 2024 season. Two seasons to run.
Interesting, the original deal for Docklands was the AFL contribute $30mil in 2000, after private consortium spent $430m to acquire the land and build it ready for the 2000 season, and the AFL would then pay just $30 on 31/10/2025 and acquire the stadium and land around it 100% freehold.

Is 2024 the end of a 24 year contract, or has there been a series of options taken up or renegotiated deals?

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting, the original deal for Docklands was the AFL contribute $30mil in 2000, after private consortium spent $430m to acquire the land and build it ready for the 2000 season, and the AFL would then pay just $30 on 31/10/2025 and acquire the stadium and land around it 100% freehold.

Is 2024 the end of a 24 year contract, or has there been a series of options taken up or renegotiated deals?
It’s the end of the Clubs 25 year contract signed by the Club and stadium. The deal will be up for begitiation.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Different deal. As part of the original stadium negotiations, Essendon cut a separate deal to the other stadium tenants to play a certain number of games at the ground with a different profit calculation as well (ie they make more per person). The rest (except maybe Carlton, unsure about them) are all on the general AFL negotiated deal.

Different deal. As part of the original stadium negotiations, Essendon cut a separate deal to the other stadium tenants to play a certain number of games at the ground with a different profit calculation as well (ie they make more per person). The rest (except maybe Carlton, unsure about them) are all on the general AFL negotiated deal.
I know its a different contract.

What I was wondering was, did Essendon specifically lock in something back in 1999/2000 for the term of nearly all of the private ownership, knowing they would come out of contract just before the AFL takes over, so that they would have more bargaining power, and threaten to move to the MCG, so that the AFL in 2025 would have to offer them a "great" deal, just like in 1999/2000 Essendon negotiated a "great" deal as the anchor tenant with the private consortium, compared to the others ie North, Saints, Bulldogs and then Carlton.

Things have changed, so that leverage is different to what they calculated back in 1999/200.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I know its a different contract.

What I was wondering was, did Essendon specifically lock in something back in 1999/2000 for the term of nearly all of the private ownership, knowing they would come out of contract just before the AFL takes over, so that they would have more bargaining power, and threaten to move to the MCG, so that the AFL in 2025 would have to offer them a "great" deal, just like in 1999/2000 Essendon negotiated a "great" deal as the anchor tenant with the private consortium, compared to the others ie North, Saints, Bulldogs and then Carlton.

Things have changed, so that leverage is different to what they calculated back in 1999/200.
No, they simply signed a 25 year deal as the anchor tenant. Where their deal is superior to the other tenant clubs us EFC get a share of the turnover of the stadium for all events and matches, not just its home games. They also have a take in all merchandise sold from the stadiums merchandising outlet.

Their agreement has two years to run. Essendon has been on record as to wanting to increase their MCG home games from 4 per year to 5-6 per year.

I’m sure they’re well placed to leverage their position as the big Club at the venue in their negotiation. The AFL will certainly want them playing their home games there. Fixture requests get granted currently, not travelling often to Geelong or Tasmania for example. I’m sure it will be an interesting watch.

No, they simply signed a 25 year deal as the anchor tenant. Where their deal is superior to the other tenant clubs us EFC get a share of the turnover of the stadium for all events and matches, not just its home games. They also have a take in all merchandise sold from the stadiums merchandising outlet.

Their agreement has two years to run. Essendon has been on record as to wanting to increase their MCG home games from 4 per year to 5-6 per year.

I’m sure they’re well placed to leverage their position as the big Club at the venue in their negotiation. The AFL will certainly want them playing their home games there. Fixture requests get granted currently, not travelling often to Geelong or Tasmania for example. I’m sure it will be an interesting watch.
I didn't know they had access to the revenue stream in bold.

I was of the understanding that revenue from - all events and matches, not just its home games - was limited to some corporate inventory. Do you know if its substantially more than that?

pOleK

Professional Couch Observer
Oct 27, 2014
Tbar
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Atlanta Hawks
Heard on the radio the crowd for Lions v Dogs was 25,011.
not too bad for a thursday night in QLD. with the gold coast expected to get 20k at least on Saturday this could be the first time in a while there's 45k+ attending aussie rules in QLD in a single weekend

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
not too bad for a thursday night in QLD. with the gold coast expected to get 20k at least on Saturday this could be the first time in a while there's 45k+ attending aussie rules in QLD in a single weekend
Very wet weather forecast for the GC though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back