List Mgmt. AFLW List Management, Trades, Draft, Expansion Thread

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Probably not. One of the big positives to come out of out the last month has been showing how good our culture is. Phil Harper mentioned in a recent puff piece that every single player in the Crows team could have gotten more money elsewhere, and he's probably right.

Playing sneaky buggers to sign up a player who doesn't want to play here feels contrary to that. I think there are supposed to be six standout SA talents this year, we'll have access to at least one of them. Go with them.
With the 6th pick from SA, you take the best player left. Simple. SA had a strong side, so there will still be talent available.

LC40

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sarah Allan and Eloise Jones will remain at West Lakes until at least Season Eight after putting pen to paper on new deals.

I think Sarah is our most important player. Hopefully she has another 10+ years at the club.
What you said is true but Jones isn't far behind. Jones has a ton of talent and the aggression that makes her so valuable.
I wish Himmelberg and Thilthorpe played with her desire.

Oct 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Probably not. One of the big positives to come out of out the last month has been showing how good our culture is. Phil Harper mentioned in a recent puff piece that every single player in the Crows team could have gotten more money elsewhere, and he's probably right.

Playing sneaky buggers to sign up a player who doesn't want to play here feels contrary to that. I think there are supposed to be six standout SA talents this year, we'll have access to at least one of them. Go with them.

Just see it as doing due diligence. If we rate her, the minimum I'd expect is to get in contact and at least ask the question as she may be available later in the draft.

I think after the Port/GC trade we essentially have pick 5 which I think we'll use for the best available SA player.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think after the Port/GC trade we essentially have pick 5 which I think we'll use for the best available SA player.

You're right, forgot about that one. So we essentially have picks 5, 8, 9 and 10 in the SA draft. From memory, we're only using three of them, right?

There is some talk that we might use a late pick to recruit Dowrick again. I guess they've seen more of her than me, but I didn't see anything particularly impressive in the one token game she got. I guess the big gaping hole Phillips left in our forward line might count in her favour. Although, perhaps Port will take her? They need players with AFLW experience, and they've already got her younger sister. Between the Cockatoo-Motlap twins, the likely Duursma brother/sister combo and then the Dowricks, there would be some parallels with the early Port Power days of multiple brother duos.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
What’s the likelihood of Lana Schwerdt being taken as father/daughter?

I'm pretty sure they had to nominate her by yesterday if they were planning to do it, right? They may have done but there hasn't been any announcement or anything.

She's in the mix but not a sure thing given we're likely to only draft three players.

finn

All Australian
May 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
norwood, adelaide uni
I'm pretty sure they had to nominate her by yesterday if they were planning to do it, right? They may have done but there hasn't been any announcement or anything.

She's in the mix but not a sure thing given we're likely to only draft three players.
Cheers for that.
Must admit I hadn’t paid attention to nomination etc dates.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Cheers for that.
Must admit I hadn’t paid attention to nomination etc dates.

I haven't either, to be honest, but I looked it up today. Looks like the paperwork gets process today so perhaps there will be an announcement from the AFL re father/daughter nominations soon?

NAB AFL Talent Pathway
Where relevant an AFLW Club must submit a father-daughter nomination form to the AFL between the 9am (AEST) 22 June until 2pm (AEST) 23 June 2022 (note the player must have separately nominated for the 2022 NAB AFLW Draft). The father – daughter bidding process takes place June 24th.

Edit: It was announced a couple of hours ago that St Kilda are signing a F/D player so given there isn't an equivalent announcement for the Crows I'm going to say, probably not.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
The main issue with replacing Phillips won't be her work at centre clearances (she didn't spent much time there this season anyway) or her goals (she only kicked 8 this year). It will be the thing she's always been best at, score involvements.

Even in a slightly down year, and having missed a match, she again led the league in score involvements this year with 60, averaging 5.5 per game (ahead of Anne Hatchard in second place with 4.3). She also led the league in score involvements in 2017, 2019 and 2021, and averaged the highest in 2018 (excluding Kellie Gibson who only played one match).

She had a real knack for creating scoring opportunities, either by scoring herself, or by getting the ball up forward and putting it to a teammate's advantage.

There's nobody in our side that has proven they have that skillset. We tried Randall in that role in 2021 but it didn't really work. Whiteley has played it to decent effect but not at Phillips' level. Beyond that, who knows? Maybe we'll try Prowse or Simmons up forward as a tall leading target? Maybe Niamh Kelly?
I think Randall was tried up forward after coming back from her knee injury? Her form would have been patchy after a lengthy stint from the sidelines. So I think it might be worthwhile to see how she goes up forward again, for another few games. She is the most natural footy skilled player we have outside of Erin, and her kicking isn’t too bad.

Hoping Ponter would improve some more with her freakish skills, as she is the best forward we have with the agility and goal kicking ability, that on her day, could match it with Erin’s forward craft.

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
No this is her draft year and was not an over-age player this year. D.O.B: 09-11-2004
Bit of misinformation I had then I had heard she was an over-ager in the under 18s state team… anyway as much as she’s improved this year very much an outside chance of getting drafted.

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sachi Syme invited to draft - will be in Port's first 4 picks. A bit surprised to be honest.

Ewings likely to be their first pick.

Who will that likely leave us for our first?
Not surprised at all, best skilled player from SA since Eloise Jones, been great in the middle for Norwood for 2 years, was the u/18 representative I most wanted to slip through 🫤

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
Not surprised at all, best skilled player from SA since Eloise Jones, been great in the middle for Norwood for 2 years, was the u/18 representative I most wanted to slip through 🫤
I thought she might fit in around the 5th or 6th pick from SA. I rate her though. Natural footballer and has really improved fitness so that she gets to more and more contests. Good inside/outside ability as well.

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
You'd have to think Ewings and Goodwin are the top two. If Syme goes top four and there is talk of Duursma going top four as well, we will get some quality options at #5!
Port would be banking on the Crows not taking North KPD Amelie Borg with that strategy otherwise does leave them short on Key Position players

jimvic

Senior List
Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
What you said is true but Jones isn't far behind. Jones has a ton of talent and the aggression that makes her so valuable.
I wish Himmelberg and Thilthorpe played with her desire.
I think Jones is the player in our team that most "looks" like a natural footballer. Hard running, aggressive, holds the ball and kicks it like someone born to play

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
A day or so the Adelaide Advertiser had that there were 666 players nominated for the Draft. Interestingly that includes Abbey Holmes. That had me thinking maybe there might be more players required for COVID replacements like with the Men's competition.

Surprisingly Casey Demons. Box Hill Hawks, Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, Southern Saints, North Melbourne and Footscray Bulldogs have about 12 - 15 nominations from these clubs. Whilst Richmond and Geelong no mass nominations.

Surprisingly Casey Demons. Box Hill Hawks, Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood, Southern Saints, North Melbourne and Footscray Bulldogs have about 12 - 15 nominations from these clubs. Whilst Richmond and Geelong no mass nominations.
12 nominations from Geelong's VFLW team that I saw. Correct about Richmond, but there are 12 nominations from Port Melbourne, their VFLW affiliate.

powacraft

Rookie
Feb 8, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Make out like bandits here, has played for Westies and dominated off half back since she was 15, damn tough.
Excuse my intrusion but you have a great player here. I am disappointed we didnt take her but that is your gain. Have watched her for years in sanfl also.

Back