Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
What would you do to improve it?
Not my area of expertise but in rugby the officials look for signs of concussion on the field and often stop the game to get a player showing signs of concussion off the field.

Officials regularly prevent players returning to the field and can overrule the club medics if they wish. Officials need to be proactive with this stuff, not reactive.

That Port player returning to the field clearly concussed a few weeks ago was an absolute disgrace and the AFL defending it was worse.

Blokes have been getting weak suspensions for years. Still don't know how Ainsworth didn't have a case to answer a few weeks back when he ran past the ball and elbowed B McKay in the head who subsequently missed a week of footy.

I would look at extending the time on the sidelines for concussed players as well. Ben Jacobs and Dan Venables are just the start. Then you read the stories about the US concussion docs analysing what the AFL medics have been up to and shaking their heads.

Not my area of expertise but in rugby the officials look for signs of concussion on the field and often stop the game to get a player showing signs of concussion off the field.

Officials regularly prevent players returning to the field and can overrule the club medics if they wish. Officials need to be proactive with this stuff, not reactive.

That Port player returning to the field clearly concussed a few weeks ago was an absolute disgrace and the AFL defending it was worse.

Blokes have been getting weak suspensions for years. Still don't know how Ainsworth didn't have a case to answer a few weeks back when he ran past the ball and elbowed B McKay in the head who subsequently missed a week of footy.

I would look at extending the time on the sidelines for concussed players as well. Ben Jacobs and Dan Venables are just the start. Then you read the stories about the US concussion docs analysing what the AFL medics have been up to and shaking their heads.

All players are given a concussion test if they are any risk of having suffered a concussion. Butters was given the test and was fine to return to the field. Not sure what more the AFL is meant to do if they pass the test.

English isn't playing this week even though he is eligible because he's still suffering symptoms, so I think it's a bit harsh to say they aren't taking it seriously.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles

They've gone too far the other way. Independent doctors are/were stepping in and refusing players to play on based on tv vision. There was uproar about it early in the season where players were being taken out of games for incidents that weren't even close to causing concussions.

The NRL introduced a new process for head injury assessments but it is clear that Cooper Cronk is not a fan.

It comes after Kurt Mann was ordered from the field to undergo an assessment despite the issue stemming from a kick to the nether regions.

“They were looking at the wrong head. I got kicked in the balls,” Mann told ABC Sport post-game.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
They've gone too far the other way. Independent doctors are/were stepping in and refusing players to play on based on tv vision. There was uproar about it early in the season where players were being taken out of games for incidents that weren't even close to causing concussions.

Would rather them be Conservative about it tbh than get one wrong.

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
Wonder if Geelong v North at Kardinia Park will start the lowest price favourites in AFL history. They should almost almost under a dollar to pay for the win
Pretty much every GC and GWS game in their first 2 years had their opponents at $1.01

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Would rather them be Conservative about it tbh than get one wrong.
Probably but I don't think the answer is doctors watching from somewhere other than the ground, determining that a player can't play out the rest of the game.

Use an independent doctor/s, but make sure they're actually there to do a proper assessment.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
66 30+ disposal games haha. Could have come up with something better than that.

Dustin Martin and Ollie Wines won their Brownlow medals with 36 votes each. Both had 14 30+ disposal years in their Brownlow winning campaigns.

Clayton Oliver has averaged 11 30+ disposal games every year. He has 11 this year. 66 30+ disposal games is a good stat for a 24 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back