Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The first of the 6 tough games stretch. This would be a win for the ages.

Negatives

At the Gabba
Far from full strength No Bailey, Tim, Caleb, Red, Bruce, Doc
The lions have copped a belting in the press this week and are sure to be fired against the team that ended their 2021 season.

Positives
Our midfield has found their mojo and bat a lot deeper than the lions
The recent form of Rhylee West and the heart and soul of the dogs Libba
Bevo is a very good back to the walls coach.

Difficult to see us winning but where there a will there is a way. GO GOGS

I've seen a lot of tips that it'll be a close one, repeat of the SF etc. Personally can't see it given how the teams have been playing recently.

I feel like the most likely outcome is the Lions coming out strong, getting a few goals lead in the first and then building on it. We might have a run but don't really threaten and lose by 5 goals+.

However, I could also see a 2021 PF-type scenario where we get on top and the Lions are still flat, and we end up winning comfortably. Given our outs I think it's unlikely, but possible.

We'll know very early on if the team is up for the fight. Lions will come out fired up, just need to take the heat early. Sweet breaking even in the middle early will go a long way to that.

I've seen a lot of tips that it'll be a close one, repeat of the SF etc. Personally can't see it given how the teams have been playing recently.

I feel like the most likely outcome is the Lions coming out strong, getting a few goals lead in the first and then building on it. We might have a run but don't really threaten and lose by 5 goals+.

However, I could also see a 2021 PF-type scenario where we get on top and the Lions are still flat, and we end up winning comfortably. Given our outs I think it's unlikely, but possible.
Haha. Brisbane's form has been trash for weeks. Absolute downhill skiiers.

The first game of several that will let us know about this year and how we a really going.

We have failed to beat someone of note since Round 3 vs Swans IMO.

We have some key personnel out but I do like the mix of the side in terms of support for Naughton and having some height around the forward line with Schache and JUH.

I just hope we maintain a similar mix going forward regardless of result as we get English, Smith, CD, Ed and maybe Bruce, Toby and Duryea back.

Last edited:
There's nothing in our formline to suggest we're much of a chance here but tbh I don't think our outs hurt us as much as you'd think, we still have if anything too many half back flankers even without Caleb and Ed. Basically have to win the midfield for four consecutive quarters and their defence does leak, albeit nowhere near as bad as ours. My feeling is we start strong, begin to build a solid lead and then give up 8 goals in fifteen minutes to put the game to bed in the second or third quarter.

There's nothing in our formline to suggest we're much of a chance here but tbh I don't think our outs hurt us as much as you'd think, we still have if anything too many half back flankers even without Caleb and Ed. Basically have to win the midfield for four consecutive quarters and their defence does leak, albeit nowhere near as bad as ours. My feeling is we start strong, begin to build a solid lead and then give up 8 goals in fifteen minutes to put the game to bed in the second or third quarter.
Brisbane could have lost by 100 last week.

Just saying.

It’ll be interesting to see how we come out in the first quarter. Absolutely no excuses for coming out flat given every game almost needs to be treated as a final.

A win miraculously keeps us in touch with the top 4 given our decent %. I think it’ll be too much in the end with 7 clear best 22 players missing and the Lions missing just 1.

Brisbane will try and take Libba out of the game, much like sides did last year.

I'm not worried though because we have the umpires to get us over the line.
Surely if someone tries to tag Libba he goes and stands beside Neale all game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last time we played on FY New Year's Eve was in 2012, and Bombres gave us a spanking, even though we had 8 future premiership players in the team..

This one will be different. We will win, margin will be somewhere between 1-18, and the forward line will fire in a shoot out.

Go Dogs, woof!

He's our talisman in the centre. Some of his throws this year have set up huge goals. I hope he doesn't go too defensive!
Yeah, interesting what gets let go across the board these days - one of Tom's last week was incredible umps let it go. Many years ago, any handball back over a player's head, even if they made perfect contact with a closed fist, was considered a throw.

Brisbane will try and take Libba out of the game, much like sides did last year.

I'm not worried though because we have the umpires to get us over the line.

And Libba will take the whole of Brisbane out of the game.

He has been simply extraordinary

Last edited:
Libba is our best player in my opinion. A better footballer than his Dad and of particular high IQ, in true bulldog tradition.
he's very close if he isnt, absolute jet Libba, his kicking and decision making are underrated, always lifts when we need something, flies the flag, clearance beast, goal kicker, does it all.

he's very close if he isnt, absolute jet Libba, his kicking and decision making are underrated, always lifts when we need something, flies the flag, clearance beast, goal kicker, does it all.
I don't remember his dad hitting the scoreboard much? I could be wrong as I was young back then.

The game has changed since then. Its now expected that goals come from the midfield.

Don't hate me but being realistic and predicting a loss. They are going to be very fired up for this one. Reasoning for why we might struggle?:

We've got our best 3 small backs out against the team with the most dangerous smalls in the game. Caleb is a huge loss at ground level and Ed is in career best form. I expect Gardner might line up on Lincoln McCarthy at times which could be interesting....

Oscar McInerny is a huge unit and in very good form. Sweet might not be seasoned enough for the Big O

Despite last week their midifeld is still right up there so we won't dominate like we did against the Hawks. If we let the opposition kick 7 in a qtr we're farked.

On the plus side I think the guys we are taking up are pretty fit and fresh, while Lions are coming off tough a Dees game. I'm thinking they're taking a big risk bringing in Dorko with his history of injury, and Lyons looked sore too.

Yeah, interesting what gets let go across the board these days - one of Tom's last week was incredible umps let it go. Many years ago, any handball back over a player's head, even if they made perfect contact with a closed fist, was considered a throw.
Other teams are also doing it. Contrary to what the paranoid oppo fans constantly whinge about, dodgy handballs are not unusual anywhere anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back