NO TROLLS 2022 NBA Offseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This doesn't reflect badly at all on The Mavs imo more how pathetic and desperate the Knicks are

Reportedly the Mavs could have tied Brunson down to an extension at the deadline, for much, much less than the $100 mil being bandied about now.

Problem is that they can't replace him in the short term. Could probably clear some cap in 2023, but so will many other teams.

Reportedly the Mavs could have tied Brunson down to an extension at the deadline, for much, much less than the $100 mil being bandied about now.

Problem is that they can't replace him in the short term. Could probably clear some cap in 2023, but so will many other teams.
Think that’s the plan, Dallas is a decent market and Luka will be an attractive team mate going forward.

Over paying for Brunson is the only way to really handicap them self going forward

Spurs want 4 first rounders now without protections for Murray

Ok thats steep

Episode 2 Goodbye GIF by The Office

Barton and Monte Morris to the Wiz for KCP and Ish Smith.

Don't mind it for the Nuggets if Murray's healthy, KCP is a much better fit than Barton. Bench might need to be beefed up a tad.

For Washington, meh. Not a terrible trade, Monte's a decent fit for them offensively. Not looking like a defensive juggernaut any time soon though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be underrating his Minny performances, but in general he has never really struck me as a guy who is a difference maker. Bit like Tony Snell, looks as if he should play the part well, but somehow doesn't.

Sort of an odd price range too, generally contracts in that ballpark are MLE additions for playoff teams, or fliers for lottery teams, eg. Mason Plumlee with Detroit. Second year unguaranteed is fine though, not like it's a bumper year for free agents or anything.
I think it's fair to say he isn't a difference maker, but he shot >40% from 3 from Jan onwards and gave solid reserve minutes defensively as well. The team loves his leadership, too. I expected him back and thought he would come out around this sort of contract so I'm happy. We're not in a position to be losing bigger wings, we don't have many of them.

* me those picks are unprotected

Part of the reason why the Knicks couldn't do a trade like that.

Atlanta's in a position to be a perennial playoff team, can't say the same about the Knicks.

Doubt they're worried about Charlotte's lottery protected first, or a pick swap in 2026. Also really difficult to see the Hawks not being a playoff team in 2025.
The 2027 first might be a gamble, but it's the same one the Bucks made with Jrue Holiday, and they walked away with a championship.

Meanwhile most of the Knicks' recently collected picks are protected. Could throw their own in, but that's far riskier than Atlanta doing it. Those picks are your only trade collateral, while the Hawks still have more they can do to round out their team.

I think it's fair to say he isn't a difference maker, but he shot >40% from 3 from Jan onwards and gave solid reserve minutes defensively as well. The team loves his leadership, too. I expected him back and thought he would come out around this sort of contract so I'm happy. We're not in a position to be losing bigger wings, we don't have many of them.

Yeah, as a one-year thing it's completely fine, there's no real opportunity cost.

Once Ant is due an extension, you'll have to be really careful with those middling contracts though. For now with your roster construction and the dearth of quality free agents available, you're all good.

Yeah, as a one-year thing it's completely fine, there's no real opportunity cost.

Once Ant is due an extension, you'll have to be really careful with those middling contracts though. For now with your roster construction and the dearth of quality free agents available, you're all good.
Thankfully, the books are pretty nicely laid out for when that happens. The only guaranteed contracts for 23-24 are KAT, Vanderbilt (~$4M) and McLaughlin (~$1M). Team options for McDaniels and Ant should be no-brainers, but beyond that there's nothing. Feels safe in Connelly & Gupta's hands for now :rainbow:

And I still ask why the Knicks didn’t do this deal

There a deadset basket case

The Knicks just aren’t in a position to sell the farm for a fringe all star.

Adding Dejounte to that Hawks roster has them looking pretty stacked. They still have Collins and or Capela as decent trade pieces as well if they want to make more moves

Harden opting out to sign for less so that Morey can use the NTMLE and bi-annual exception, gives the Sixers the most flexibility they've had in like four years.

Dejounte is a nice player, but that's a lot of unprotected firsts for a player that still probably doesn't get you homecourt in the playoffs.

Shades of Hinkie/Jrue for SAS. Actually love to see it. It's even less about those firsts than it is about getting into the Wembanyama sweepstakes.

Mind you, there should be at least half a dozen teams trying to get in that race including the Knicks. All this legwork to sign Brunson when they should just be finding suitors for Randle and clearing cap space.

Think that’s the plan, Dallas is a decent market and Luka will be an attractive team mate going forward.

Over paying for Brunson is the only way to really handicap them self going forward

Not sure about that, I can see the appeal of playing with Luka, not sure if Dallas/The Mavs have traditionally being an attractive franchise for Free Agents

Part of the reason why the Knicks couldn't do a trade like that.

Atlanta's in a position to be a perennial playoff team, can't say the same about the Knicks.

Doubt they're worried about Charlotte's lottery protected first, or a pick swap in 2026. Also really difficult to see the Hawks not being a playoff team in 2025.
The 2027 first might be a gamble, but it's the same one the Bucks made with Jrue Holiday, and they walked away with a championship.

Meanwhile most of the Knicks' recently collected picks are protected. Could throw their own in, but that's far riskier than Atlanta doing it. Those picks are your only trade collateral, while the Hawks still have more they can do to round out their team.

There is also a school of thought that Pop was still bitter/holding a grudge against New York over Marcus Morris, and is why he refused to trade Murray to the Knicks.

Hawks offer is actually not too bad, esp as the Spurs are planning on tanking for the next couple of years

Not sure about that, I can see the appeal of playing with Luka, not sure if Dallas/The Mavs have traditionally being an attractive franchise for Free Agents

There is also a school of thought that Pop was still bitter/holding a grudge against New York over Marcus Morris, and is why he refused to trade Murray to the Knicks.

Hawks offer is actually not too bad, esp as the Spurs are planning on tanking for the next couple of years
Traditionally you are right however I think things are changing in the NBA these days.

Players are picking the Clippers and Nets over Lakers and Knicks.

Getting to play alongside Luka, on a contender in Texas (no state tax) and Dallas is a nice place to live. Absolutely they should be a FA destination

Remove this Banner Ad

Back