MFC Fans Only Non-Dees Footy Chat 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

There's definitely something happening behind the scenes. Was listening to this ob crunch time yesterday.

“Carlton went in with Geoff Walsh riding shotgun, that was the cannons were out, full tilt. This is Geoff Walsh perhaps with a balaclava on, a little silencer one the pistol, going in as a consultant if you like,” Edmund added.

Probably my favourite part of the conversation.

Wouldn't you say North are doing worse then?
They actually have a really good core of kids.
Zurhaar, McDonald, LDU, Thomas, Larkey, JHF etc.

Neeld destroyed our list and filled it with VFL players and 30 year old journeymen.

North need to go pick away at any senior blokes not getting a gig or being underutilized
Tomlinson, Hunt, Logue, McStay, Himmelberg, Reid, Billings, Wallis, Dunkley etc

Plus go get a Josh Kennedy type as a Daniel Cross style standards driver at training. Clearly the clubs lost that element to it.
Yeah North playing Neeld era footy with a much better list. Pretty grim for Noble. Reckon our 2014 side beats them with Roos' gameplan.

Yeah North playing Neeld era footy with a much better list. Pretty grim for Noble. Reckon our 2014 side beats them with Roos' gameplan.
Yeah that would be the worry. They need to add senior players without spending too much at the draft table. However I do think that moving away from the draft for one year and spending it all on consistent AFL level talent is a big need. Easier said than done but they need a Vince, Tyson, Salem, Cross, Pedo type draft haul. Immediately improved our best 22.

The argument as to whether Noble is worse than Neeld is moot. Unless there’s a significant turnaround in results his fate will be the same as the results are similar enough. The upshot for North is that they have a better list/more talent than we did in 2013. With the likes of Cunnington, Goldstein, Ziebell, McDonald, Greenwood, J Walker and Corr, they should not need a Daniel Cross type to drive training standards. With LDU, Simpkin, JHF as well as a smattering of Stephenson, Thomas, Lazzaro and Powell, their midfield is not as third world as ours was and desperate need for Vince and Tyson types to drag it up to AFL standard.

The external carrot that is also there is that in the decade since 2013, there have been the fairytale premierships of the Dogs, Richmond and us, whereas in 2012-13 it felt like Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood and Sydney were permanently in contention. Meanwhile, powerful clubs like Adelaide, West Coast, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond seemed years ahead of us and trending up. Additionally, the AFL was very determined to get GWS and Gold Coast up and competitive by whatever means necessary (including allowing our number 1 draft pick to be a target). 2012-13 were probably the worst years by far as a Melbourne member and it didn’t seem ridiculous or overly dramatic to think the club would fold or simply be s**t forever. 8 years later, we won the flag with several bumps in the road. North aren’t coming off as lower base as we were.

The argument as to whether Noble is worse than Neeld is moot. Unless there’s a significant turnaround in results his fate will be the same as the results are similar enough. The upshot for North is that they have a better list/more talent than we did in 2013. With the likes of Cunnington, Goldstein, Ziebell, McDonald, Greenwood, J Walker and Corr, they should not need a Daniel Cross type to drive training standards. With LDU, Simpkin, JHF as well as a smattering of Stephenson, Thomas, Lazzaro and Powell, their midfield is not as third world as ours was and desperate need for Vince and Tyson types to drag it up to AFL standard.

The external carrot that is also there is that in the decade since 2013, there have been the fairytale premierships of the Dogs, Richmond and us, whereas in 2012-13 it felt like Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood and Sydney were permanently in contention. Meanwhile, powerful clubs like Adelaide, West Coast, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond seemed years ahead of us and trending up. Additionally, the AFL was very determined to get GWS and Gold Coast up and competitive by whatever means necessary (including allowing our number 1 draft pick to be a target). 2012-13 were probably the worst years by far as a Melbourne member and it didn’t seem ridiculous or overly dramatic to think the club would fold or simply be s**t forever. 8 years later, we won the flag with several bumps in the road. North aren’t coming off as lower base as we were.
The other thing I'll add is noble hasn't had such a devastating effect on the list like neeld did to Melbourne 12/13, well at least from the outside looking in. Neeld came in with his tough guy mantra and shattered the confidence of the playing group and then tossed them out. Say what you want about guys like Morton, gysberts, tapscott, Bennell, ect heck even Jetta's career was almost destroyed, all these players showed something pre neeld and their careers just faded out.

The other thing I'll add is noble hasn't had such a devastating effect on the list like neeld did to Melbourne 12/13, well at least from the outside looking in. Neeld came in with his tough guy mantra and shattered the confidence of the playing group and then tossed them out. Say what you want about guys like Morton, gysberts, tapscott, Bennell, ect heck even Jetta's career was almost destroyed, all these players showed something pre neeld and their careers just faded out.
Nah Rhys Shaw took care of that right before he left. Aside from Brown there were no really good players on that list, but they’d have done a fair bit better with them still around. The two inside mids in the 2020 draft also looks really dodgy list management. Surprised me to see they haven’t made finals in six years now, it’s been a long time.

One of the most precious fines I’ve ever heard of. Having a stupid haircut and a stupid headband, it comes with the territory.
I’m genuinely torn on this one because as much as I hate that something as trivial as that is a fine, I love that James Sicily got taxed for being a dickhead.

One of the most precious fines I’ve ever heard of. Having a stupid haircut and a stupid headband, it comes with the territory.
Bizarre.

I don’t like Hawthorn, but I would shout Sicily a beer or two for this one. Aaron should also send him a thank you card - the headband is terrible

If this isn't cracked down on there may be an epidemic of players ripping other players jumpers and shorts off, it would be mayhem!:$

I figure it’s an isolated incident, heat of the moment- it was funny and got funnier when Naughton cried to the umpire about it after. Things happen, move on.

Definitely worthy of a fine if it’s happening every 10 minutes. But one time, not so much.

Jackson macrcae spoke on crunch time on Saturday. He said something along the lines that Sicily is a pretty funny character that likes to get under people's skin, everyone had a laugh about it after the game.
Sicily is the best s**t stirrer in the comp i love him so much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions look like they're going through some serious training loads at the moment

Is there a scenario where both teams are going though some heavy loads at the same time in the same match? It looks like training loads have affected the Dogs as well.

Genuinely torn. I don't want The Western™️ to make the eight (because lol), but Brisbane losing would make it extremely hard for them to catch us. Can't they both lose?
I'm going to say it doesn't matter if Brisbane catch us, they're not doing much in finals. On missing finals there's still plenty of potential lol's such as saints and Richmond missing, Port as well.

Ugle-Hagen just looks Miles off it doesn't he. Be interesting once Bruce comes back if he'll even get a game. Might still make it, but just looks way off the #1 pick right now.

I'm going to say it doesn't matter if Brisbane catch us, they're not doing much in finals. On missing finals there's still plenty of potential lol's such as saints and Richmond missing, Port as well.
This is why I’m on Brisbane. Wouldn’t mind facing them in a final

Ugle-Hagen just looks Miles off it doesn't he. Be interesting once Bruce comes back if he'll even get a game. Might still make it, but just looks way off the #1 pick right now.

He wont make it, unless you call making it being gifted games for being a high draft pick like Schache has been.

Quite astonishing that they made a grand final with one of the worst backlines you could ever imagine. Shocking list management when you consider they could've got two first-rounders for Dunkley and feasibly flipped them for a good KPD.

They're going nowhere with Crazy Bevo and his band of merry midfielders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back